PDA

View Full Version : Mower Blades

taterlawn
05-12-2010, 04:22 PM
What are the best after-market blades to buy? I thought Gator blades but I have heard a lot of bad things.

GardnerLandscaping
05-14-2010, 07:49 AM
the gator blades do well in bermuda. the bi-level do better with weeds. the gator does a slightly better job at lifting and mulching. toro blades do better with dirt. lawn boy blades look durable and good but never used. honda blades are the perfect blade.

gator blades aren't as durable as advertised (unless you use in a healthy bermuda lawn without sticks, rocks, or roots in it), but the biggest problem with gator blades is that people don't realize you have to use the spacer washer they supply since they are flat.

Robert Pruitt
05-14-2010, 08:36 AM
the gator blades do well in bermuda. the bi-level do better with weeds. the gator does a slightly better job at lifting and mulching. toro blades do better with dirt. lawn boy blades look durable and good but never used. honda blades are the perfect blade.

gator blades aren't as durable as advertised (unless you use in a healthy bermuda lawn without sticks, rocks, or roots in it), but the biggest problem with gator blades is that people don't realize you have to use the spacer washer they supply since they are flat.

FACT, the Toro blades are the hardest blade on the market. i work in a machine shop at nite. they Rockwell at 50C. use them on all mowers, have to open up the hole on the Z from .625 to .75. don't care for the Gators. use only use the extra high lift for striping.

airmedic8
05-14-2010, 10:15 AM
In my experience I use gator blades everyday for about 20 cuts a week. I have no complaints about them. I have hit some nasty objects with them including an old fence post and they did not bend!

obxseaside
05-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Anyone ever buy oregon replacement blades and the hole was not the right size?

Larry Overcash
05-14-2010, 04:49 PM
I use Gator blades also, and have never had a problem. I would like to try other blades, but i don't have a clue what to buy. The Gator's do good for me though.

a clear difference lawn
05-14-2010, 10:28 PM
http://www.componentsplusparts.com/mower-blades.asp - In my opinion these are the best.

93Chevy
05-14-2010, 10:30 PM
I run the highest lifts possible for my mower to assist with striping, but come fall, I'd like to get lower lift blades so I don't have to deal with dang deck blowout. I'm interested in seeing different opinions on this thread.

macaw
05-15-2010, 07:26 AM
Take a look at Meg-Mo http://www.meg-mo.com/