PDA

View Full Version : Plant Warranty

SoDak
05-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Do you have plant warranties, and if so, what are the terms? I personally think this is a ridiculous business idea, since I can't even guarantee that I will be around tomorrow, let alone guarantee that a plant will live for a year. Plant insurance would be a better idea.

shovelracer
05-12-2010, 05:38 PM
I offer a warranty, a pretty good one at that. However, if the plant lasts a season it will last many more, unless it is attacked or mistreated which are not covered. Since we are using healthy stock, planting and initially watering; failure almost always comes down to neglect. I am very interested in the idea of plant insurance because it would be an easy sell for most people and the cheapos could still get their rock bottom price. One the other hand that would bring planting rates down to mowing rates and I'm not interested in that. It takes a certain amount of knowledge to plant a tree and not have the practice come back to kill it a few years later. For this we should be paid accordingly. If you want to slap the caged and roped ball in the hole and call it a day I want no part of it.

mdlwn1
05-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Do you have plant warranties, and if so, what are the terms? I personally think this is a ridiculous business idea, since I can't even guarantee that I will be around tomorrow, let alone guarantee that a plant will live for a year. Plant insurance would be a better idea.

You should put this on your business card or truck...see how well it works for you. You have a lot to learn my friend.......

SoDak
05-12-2010, 06:46 PM
You should put this on your business card or truck...see how well it works for you. You have a lot to learn my friend.......

Thanks for the personal attack, D-bag. It's people like you that keep reminding me why I even participate in these forums.

mario491
05-12-2010, 10:18 PM
We give a 30 day warranty without a automatic sprinkler system, if they have
an automatic sprinkler we give 1 year warranty. Standing behind your work goes a long way with customers especially in this economy.

Mario

93Chevy
05-12-2010, 10:21 PM
I give a one year guarantee.

Luckily I have never had the question "is this applicable for another year if this plant doesn't make it?"

AzLawnMan
05-13-2010, 02:25 AM
Wow one year! I give 90days. In Arizona, I couldnt imagine giving a year. I just put in
(80) 5gallon and (100) 1 gallon plants as well as (20) 15 gallon trees at one of my properties. I always figure I will lose 5-10 1 gallon plants, only because if the multch isnt packed correctly in the cans the root sytem may get exposed during planting. I have a "act(s) of nature" clause in my contract, and I think 110 degree weather qualifies for that. If a plant survives spring but dies in the summer or even during winter, how are you liable? JMHO

Dreams To Designs
05-13-2010, 09:14 AM
To warranty a plant is a foolish idea, if not a marketing scheme, unless you have control over that property. If you are unable to ensure a proper watering schedule or plant health care program, you are hoping by using quality plants and proper planting technique that a living plant will last a year with little or no care. There are a bunch of plants that fit this criteria and which leads to a very small, but durable plant list to choose from.

The classic; plant cost X 3 = cost of the plant, the labor to install it and the replacement cost when it dies. By installing plants from reputable sources and with planting care, you hope to minimize the losses and gain more profit.

How many of your sources are guaranteeing the plants they sell to you? Unless you buy from Home Depot, Lowes or some garden centers, your on your own. Sure, you may come across the occasional plant problem from a nursery or wholesaler, and they will take care of their good clients, but those situations should be rare.

I work with a company that guarantees everything they plant for life, as long as they provide a plant health care program and have control over the irrigation.

Kirk

mdlwn1
05-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Insuring the success of a planting is a no brainer for all but the most challenging of situations. You guys must be pretty young to question the warranty. Im from beach sand south jersey and never had a tree die in 20 years. Ask someone to teach you proper selection/transport/planting/water technique.

Crash
05-13-2010, 08:14 PM
Here's how our guarantee reads...

*ProScape Plant Warranty*
All trees and shrubs are guaranteed for one year from the date of purchase. They will be replaced one time only.

Perennials are guaranteed to be healthy, vigorous plants at time of purchase. Purchases made January 1 through June 30 are guaranteed through October 31 of the same calendar year. Purchases made July 1 through December 31 are guaranteed through May 1 of the following calendar year.

ProScape will not honor guarantees on plants damaged by animals, vehicles, lawn mowers, etc., by extreme weather such as hail, wind/snow storms, droughts, excessive rain, etc., over watering or not following watering instructions.

dweav44
10-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Lifetime Warranty only if we maintain the property year-round.

Yeah, I thought I was cool too to offer a year warranty on all our plants until I got tired of telling people they didn't water enough or they over watered or....

They NEVER believe you and it ALWAYS looks bad on you no matter what.

dweav44
10-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Insuring the success of a planting is a no brainer for all but the most challenging of situations. You guys must be pretty young to question the warranty. Im from beach sand south jersey and never had a tree die in 20 years. Ask someone to teach you proper selection/transport/planting/water technique.

You are the MAN! We are so proud of you!:laugh:

Will you teach us? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!

andyslawncare
10-29-2010, 02:27 AM
We offered 1 year warranties this Spring. Several plants have been thriving, but on 4 properties the plants did not do well!

If you are going to warrant your plants, be sure you take a soil sample (have the client pay for the lab testing), and do not warrant if the soil needs amendments that the owner does not want to pay for. Also, do not warrant any plants for a property without irrigation.

We do not offer a warranty on our installations anymore (unless the soil is perfect; but then I charge more).

I do though offer warranty on hardscapes & water features. The warranty depends on the type of work done, and any risks that the customer knows of which is stated in the agreement.

NarNar
11-01-2010, 09:47 AM
We have 1 yr warranty, does not cover neglect, animals, or extreme weather conditions.

HOGBEAR
11-02-2010, 03:14 PM
If I do the work and provide the plants I give a year good thing is that the place I get my plants will replace them for me up to a year. Its just good customer service.
Posted via Mobile Device

sgallaher
11-06-2010, 09:55 AM
We give a 1-year guarantee against disease and death from improper planting. If it dies from the homeowner not watering it or over-watering it, it's not our fault.

HOGBEAR
11-07-2010, 12:26 AM
We give a 1-year guarantee against disease and death from improper planting. If it dies from the homeowner not watering it or over-watering it, it's not our fault.

Same with us, if its a defect, not from abuse.
Posted via Mobile Device

NarNar
11-07-2010, 06:03 AM
Lifetime Warranty only if we maintain the property year-round.

Yeah, I thought I was cool too to offer a year warranty on all our plants until I got tired of telling people they didn't water enough or they over watered or....

What happens when you are no longer maintaining the property, does the warranty expire?

NarNar
11-07-2010, 06:05 AM
I got tired of telling people they didn't water enough or they over watered or....

The latter part is very very true, but I find it only within clients that are living outside their means. Our higher end clients seem to understand instructions.

dweav44
11-07-2010, 10:16 PM
What happens when you are no longer maintaining the property, does the warranty expire?

Yes it does.

LizzieLandscapes
11-22-2010, 11:23 PM
It should go without saying that if you are going to offer a plant guarantee, you should offer it only if the plant material is watered with an automatic watering system so you can schedule the controller to assure the plant material will survive the warranty period. After the first watering in at planting time, leaving any future hand watering completely up to the homeowner is a recipe for disaster, so in those cases offering a guarantee is not advisable.

I stipulate that if a plant dies withing 30 days, and it has been properly watered during that time, I will replace it free of charge. Rarely have I had to do that because I personally hand pick the plants I use. I look for healthy, good looking plants and as most of us do. I check the plant for signs of pests, disease, distress and injury. I also check for improper potting, plants that have been loosened from their root ball by improper handling. And if I feel it necessary I even water the plants at the nursery before I load them up for transport to the job site.

If the soil is not up to par, I take measures to correct it. I don't need a soil test to tell if the soil is viable enough to sustain plant life. I can tell by look, feel and smell. And I always plant using organic soil amendments. As far as I am concerned you can't hurt the soil by replenishing it with organic material so I use them.
And last but not least, I plant well. I haven't lost any potential jobs by not offering a guarantee, and I am honorable and stand behind my work.

You can't build a good business reputation or retain clients by refusing to replace any dead or dying plant material that you just installed in a landscape.

clcare2
11-26-2010, 12:09 AM
I dont offer any "official" warranties, but if a plant that i planted dies and i can't find a good reason not to, I will just replace it. No discussion needed, it just looks bad when my stuff dies. This only applies to full maintenance customers and everyone else has to ask.

I have been screwed a couple of times by people who didn't do their due dilligence in maintaining the material i planted and then decided to run their mouths about my plants that died two years after i planted them. I could have just ate it and replaced $500 in material but i had to pay a dumbass tax. Probably never work in one of the nicer new neighborhoods around me again thanks to one guy on his HOA board. A install only customer who never turned on the irrigation.

Don't put it in writing and i wouldn't go talking about it but an unofficial warranty can be just as good and probably do more for you.