PDA

View Full Version : Gatorline experience = HORRIBLE

dwost
05-12-2010, 10:19 PM
After reading many reviews on here I decided to give this a shot and bought a spool. All I can say is this stuff is CRAP. I was expecting much longer run time based on what others have reported but I will tell you this is not the least bit true. I loaded my Speedfeed up with it and decided to give it a shot edging a curb that had some serious overgrowth. It literally took about 10 seconds to wear it down to the point of where I needed to feed the head. I've been using some cheap stuff that I grabbed at Home Depot and it runs circles around the Gatorline. I'm bummed as I hoped this would be much better than it was.

93Chevy
05-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I thought I was the only one that hated gator line. Maybe I'm not using it right, but my Echo Crossfire line will run circles around gator line. The Red Max twist is good also, but I prefer the Echo above all else.

fredmullegun
05-12-2010, 10:37 PM
What size line? Same size as the cheap stuff?

AllSeasonServices
05-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Im using the Stihl square line. It wears out faster than some others but I got a good deal on it at the trade show this year... And yea gatorline is awful, it seems to throw debris everywhere when edging. Maybe its just me but I swear I was getting hit with rocks all the time when I tried that stuff.

dwost
05-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Yup, I'm running .095 for both. I just checked and the stuff I like is "Grass Gator Shaped Line" It works great.

MikeKle
05-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Yup, I'm running .095 for both. I just checked and the stuff I like is "Grass Gator Shaped Line" It works great.

Is that a bright orange line you got at Home depot? I think I am using the same stuff as you, it is great, and I paid only like $14. for a 3lb spool! it is some kind of multi edge line? I am actually going to buy a few more spools in case they stop making it or raise the price, I go thru about one 3lb. spool per season. I am thinking of going up to .105 line from 095 though since I have the big redmax and it can probably handle it. Do you all think I will notice a big difference in performance in switching to the bigger line?

dwost
05-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Is that a bright orange line you got at Home depot? I think I am using the same stuff as you, it is great, and I paid only like $14. for a 3lb spool! it is some kind of multi edge line? I am actually going to buy a few more spools in case they stop making it or raise the price, I go thru about one 3lb. spool per season. I am thinking of going up to .105 line from 095 though since I have the big redmax and it can probably handle it. Do you all think I will notice a big difference in performance in switching to the bigger line?

Yup, that's the stuff. I got a similar deal. I think its either the 3 or 5lb spool and it was like $10.

bigshow825
05-12-2010, 11:23 PM
i also run the redmax twist line, it seems to last a decent amout of time.

MikeKle
05-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Yup, that's the stuff. I got a similar deal. I think its either the 3 or 5lb spool and it was like $10.

I would love to find it in a 5lb spool, but I think it only comes in 3lb size. It is odd for a super cheap line like this to be that good, it is even better than the Stihl X-line I think.

Turf Dawg
05-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Are you running the Magnum Gatorline or the regular Gatorline? There is a difference.

STIHL GUY
05-12-2010, 11:52 PM
i bought .105 trimmer line and it last a lot longer

MikeKle
05-12-2010, 11:58 PM

What size trimmer do you use it on? Does it tend to bog the trimmer down at all versus the 095? I have the 26cc redmax, so it should be able to handle 105?

dwost
05-13-2010, 12:04 AM
Are you running the Magnum Gatorline or the regular Gatorline? There is a difference.

Supertwist Magnum.............

Turf Dawg
05-13-2010, 12:23 AM
Supertwist Magnum.............

Sorry to hear that because that is my favorite line. I do not edge with a trimmer though.

AOD
05-13-2010, 12:49 AM
I think I'll mod my Husky 32L to take .105. It originally took .080 but I modded it to take .095. .105 lasts way longer for all applications, but it tears the crap out of plastic fencing.

I opened up the muffler and tweaked the high speed mix screw on my 32L, it's a friggin beast now!

Accident
05-13-2010, 12:56 AM
redmax twist is the best i've used so far

fredmullegun
05-13-2010, 01:32 AM

Even when you consider your trimmer cannot hold as much line with the thicker stuff?

retrodog
05-13-2010, 01:44 AM
I run a bigger redmax, and use 130 cabletwist, it lasts a long time in the cemeteries for us, and good at the housing authorities in case some crazy crack head comes at you too...lol. The big red head holds alot of string, and doesn't seem to strain the trimmers much. The Gatorline that has the kevlar cable in it is supposed to be the stoutest line out, I have a couple of guys that special order the big rolls of it, and swear by it. I had my rep drop some samples of the 95 gatorline, and I wasn't impressed by it, but it was not the kevlar line my customers order, not sure what its called though.

Hawg City Lawns
05-13-2010, 02:18 AM
im running the supertwist magnum and love it but ive also noticed it breaking more than the echo crossfire when edging but ive read that if you soak your line in water it will help strengthen it up ive never tried it but wondered if its true but i wont go back to the crossfire you could literally peel it like string cheese

Cummins343
05-13-2010, 03:51 AM
I'm using .105 gatorline and I can't complain. It goes through everything. I took all my timmer guards off so the line doesn't get eatin up so fast.

Richard Martin
05-13-2010, 05:22 AM
I'm using the Gator SuperTwist too. It does break off a little easier but I don't mind. I got two 1 lb spools for free. I use an edger for edging.

lawnboy dan
05-13-2010, 07:49 AM
i too like grass gator line and had great sucess with it-of course home depot no longer sells the stuff i like. the spriled line. cut great and wore like iron. the shaped line is also as good as echo crossfire

flykelley
05-13-2010, 08:03 AM
I got a free spool of Remax twist, that stuff can do some real damage if you don't know how to use a trimmer. It last a long time but damn it will eat up some grass if you are not carefull.

Mike

dwost
05-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Retro, you are talking about the supertwist magnum. That has the kevlar core and is what I bought. I typically use my McLane edger as well but decided to give this line a shot due to all the reviews of the strength of this line. I've got 3lb's of it so I'll be testing it out on other applications as well. I'll post back my findings but so far I'm not impressed.

lawnboy dan
05-14-2010, 09:23 AM
no trimmer line is made for edging. use a real edger!

dwost
05-14-2010, 09:35 AM
no trimmer line is made for edging. use a real edger!

You obviously didn't read my last post, I have a McLane. This was simply an endurance test of the line in which it failed in comparison to the cheap "grass gator" line I run from HD. :clapping: