PDA

View Full Version : What are the Pros and Cons of mulching, looking to switch.

KPW LawnCare
05-12-2010, 10:34 PM
I am thinking about maybe switching form side discharge to mulching and want to know if it would be a good choice. I cut a lot of KBG. Is it better and easier to mulch. What are the pro and cons of mulching.

unkownfl
05-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Less clean up, but the trade off is more time mowing because you have to go slower. On normal accounts that you mow at 3mph its fine its in the wide open 8mph+ mowing you have to slow down with the kit. Also, if you cross hard surfaces it will dump all the clippings because it loses vacuum. Cleaning under the deck because a daily routine too.

fredmullegun
05-12-2010, 10:38 PM
I have to clean my deck more often when setup for mulching.

KPW LawnCare
05-12-2010, 10:40 PM
I am thinking about getting a kit for my 36'' metro.

unkownfl
05-12-2010, 10:41 PM
I am thinking about getting a kit for my 36'' metro.

I'd just get a plate for that small of a machine. If it has a 13hp don't even think about mulching.

KPW LawnCare
05-12-2010, 10:43 PM
I'd just get a plate for that small of a machine. If it has a 13hp don't even think about mulching.

Yea thats just what I ment.

AllSeasonServices
05-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Have you ever been striping a lawn and you get close to to a planting bed or one of those white PVC fences and you have to choose between making and cleaning up a mess or messing up your stripes. With the mulching kit that doesent happen... but you do have too slow down in thick or wet grass. And ive noticed that if you pull off the lawn onto a paved surface that is light in color the tires will leave a green stain like when your working in very wet grass, so I just try to avoid that. All and All I think the time evens out bc although you need to slow down a bit... you dont have as much cleanup, but I think the lawn looks better when using a mulching kit compared to letting it fly IMO.

unkownfl
05-12-2010, 10:56 PM
Have you ever been striping a lawn and you get close to to a planting bed or one of those white PVC fences and you have to choose between making and cleaning up a mess or messing up your stripes. With the mulching kit that doesent happen... but you do have too slow down in thick or wet grass. And ive noticed that if you pull off the lawn onto a paved surface that is light in color the tires will leave a green stain like when your working in very wet grass, so I just try to avoid that. All and All I think the time evens out bc although you need to slow down a bit... you dont have as much cleanup, but I think the lawn looks better when using a mulching kit compared to letting it fly IMO.

All that is true but I rather spend more time on the mower and less on the ground. I can mow more lawns that way without being tireds (fatigued). You won't be able to mulch with a 13hp it will be like mowing in 1 gear all day and if its really hot and dry you may get into 2. LOL Also, the blades wear faster. I mulch but I have the power and small enough to get it done I also wait until about 9 to cut my first lawn.

QualityLawnCare4u
05-12-2010, 10:58 PM
I mulch year round and all my yards have the just bagged look, no clippings thrown in the flower beds or against the house. Only down side is in thick wet grass you will have to slow down and double cut sometimes. Overall I like the way my yards look when finished and so do my clients. I have been able to convert some of the die hard bag my yard folks over to mulching.

cutterschoice24
05-12-2010, 11:13 PM
i would have to say it was the best thing i ever done in my business although it just depends like a couple of people have mentioned you must have the power to mulch i have a scag 48 and had the hurricane mulch kit its awesome but the 19 isn't quite enough power my new mower is a 48 the next lazer z with the 23 kohler command pro i don't like the kit as much as the scag but it still does an awesome job i have a mower set up for side discharge which is what my scag is set up for and then i have my new ex mark z and that has the mulching kit on it so best of both worlds not very easy to mulch retention ponds.I wouldn't change back though much cleaner look no clippings in the beds

xvxax
05-12-2010, 11:33 PM
This topic comes up every week. I can't really speak for everyone. In Virginia during the spring, in my opinion you have to mow way too slowly and clean under the deck too often, especially in the morning or when mowing in the rain to make mulch kits worth it. When the mower gets a lot of grass underneath they become practically unusable because they spit so much grass in clumps and look like garbage. I dropped my mulch kit and never looked back and don't really notice the difference in clippings either. No brainer in the spring.

I blow grass out of beds and put my chute down around fences. Done. Mowing at 8mph easily makes up for it. Take it for what it's worth.

rmslawns
05-12-2010, 11:41 PM
I put a mulch kit on my hustler hydro this season. It is a 48" with a 17 hp kawasaki. We are not getting much rain so I have not run into wet thick grass but when I do, I would just double cut if needed. So far, mulching is working out fine for me. I have a commercial property with bermuda and it cuts at 2.5 " without a problem. You can only walk so fast with a wb so going slower is not an issue for me. I will say that the mulch in the beds stays clean, I can work near parked cars without worrying about throwing rocks and it used to take me 30 minutes to blow off everything where now it takes 10 minutes. I cut at 4" on most fescue here and it does well with that also. For a small part time set up like I have, mulching has so far been a good experience.

gulfjoe
06-19-2014, 10:24 AM
I put a mulch kit on my hustler hydro this season. It is a 48" with a 17 hp kawasaki. We are not getting much rain so I have not run into wet thick grass but when I do, I would just double cut if needed. So far, mulching is working out fine for me. I have a commercial property with bermuda and it cuts at 2.5 " without a problem. You can only walk so fast with a wb so going slower is not an issue for me. I will say that the mulch in the beds stays clean, I can work near parked cars without worrying about throwing rocks and it used to take me 30 minutes to blow off everything where now it takes 10 minutes. I cut at 4" on most fescue here and it does well with that also. For a small part time set up like I have, mulching has so far been a good experience.

I am thinking about putting a mulch kit on my 52" Vride. I mainly cut bi weekly Bermuda lawns. Some of them get pretty thick. What are your thoughts about a mulch kit and thick Bermuda?
Posted via Mobile Device

ArTurf
06-19-2014, 11:29 PM
I am thinking about putting a mulch kit on my 52" Vride. I mainly cut bi weekly Bermuda lawns. Some of them get pretty thick. What are your thoughts about a mulch kit and thick Bermuda?
Posted via Mobile Device

Not a good idea..

One of The best things I ever did was go to a JD MOD

jcory430
06-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey Joe,
I cut the same type of yards here in Columbus with a Tiger Cub with a mulch kit. I have to blow a line of clippings every once in a while but the cut is fantastic.
Cory
Posted via Mobile Device

gulfjoe
06-20-2014, 10:25 PM
Hey Joe,
I cut the same type of yards here in Columbus with a Tiger Cub with a mulch kit. I have to blow a line of clippings every once in a while but the cut is fantastic.
Cory
Posted via Mobile Device

Do you run the hurricane mulch kit?
Posted via Mobile Device

jcory430
06-21-2014, 08:05 AM
Honestly, I bought the mower used so I don't know exactly which kit is on there, just that it has one. I wouldn't have it any other way though.
Posted via Mobile Device

gulfjoe
06-21-2014, 09:08 AM
Honestly, I bought the mower used so I don't know exactly which kit is on there, just that it has one. I wouldn't have it any other way though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Velocity deck?

How does It do on the wet yards early In The AM?
Posted via Mobile Device

TPendagast
06-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Bermuda? IMO I would use an Exmark Navigator with the mulch baffle, 50% mulch, 50% bag… Im so surprised this deck/option/feature didn't take the south by storm.

gulfjoe
06-21-2014, 12:52 PM
Bermuda? IMO I would use an Exmark Navigator with the mulch baffle, 50% mulch, 50% bag… Im so surprised this deck/option/feature didn't take the south by storm.

It's all walkers down here. There's one in my future, but not at the moment
Posted via Mobile Device

TPendagast
06-21-2014, 01:04 PM
It's all walkers down here. There's one in my future, but not at the moment
Posted via Mobile Device

Walkers are 100% bag or 100% mulch. Although I'd really like to see the results from a 52/48R deck.

The navigator with its optional 50/50 bag mulch would be supreme in those conditions. you get eh benefits of much without too much build up, and get the benefits of bagging without collecting too much… its a perfect balance.

Crammin'Mows
06-22-2014, 11:44 PM
Walkers are 100% bag or 100% mulch. Although I'd really like to see the results from a 52/48R deck.

The navigator with its optional 50/50 bag mulch would be supreme in those conditions. you get eh benefits of much without too much build up, and get the benefits of bagging without collecting too much… its a perfect balance.

I bought a navigator this spring, and just switched it to 50/50 mulch/bag. Loving it. Cut quality is just as clean, and about 1/3 as many clipping to dump at the end of the day. Not to mention all the organic matter going back into the soil.

gulfjoe
06-23-2014, 06:17 AM
I bought a navigator this spring, and just switched it to 50/50 mulch/bag. Loving it. Cut quality is just as clean, and about 1/3 as many clipping to dump at the end of the day. Not to mention all the organic matter going back into the soil.

Is the 50/50 a deck mod or is an entirely different deck?
Posted via Mobile Device

Crammin'Mows
06-23-2014, 12:04 PM
Is the 50/50 a deck mod or is an entirely different deck?
Posted via Mobile Device

The mulching baffles come standard on the navigator deck. It is basically double doors at the rear discharge chute that are hinged, so you can open the doors all the way, or close partially. To mulch 100%, I think you need a kit though. Thats what i gathered from the manual anyway.

soloscaperman
07-07-2014, 02:34 AM
If your shooting grass on the house, flower beds, road, and driveway you don't know the basics of mowing.

Minister Bob
07-08-2014, 06:33 PM
I hate to throw a bone in this conversation, BUT does anyone have experience with a rear discharge deck and how does it compare with mulching?