PDA

View Full Version : Walker Mowers

jay1389
05-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Dose anyone else out there use walker mowers or have any opinions on Walker mowers. It seems like the company i work for is one of the few in the area that use those mowers. Just wondering what you guys thought about them.

timber132007
05-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Best rotary cut finish mower there is period. I have a 2007 Walker MT with 23hp Kohler and 42" deck. Only negative so far would be blower scroll, blower wheel, and backplate replacement at less than 200 hours. It is so sandy here the standard blowers wear out too quickly.

THEGOLDPRO
05-12-2010, 10:37 PM
the 3rd wheel mark they leave makes me want to throw up. worst looking cut of any mower ever made. EVER.

Turf Dawg
05-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Love mine.

mikes landscaping
05-12-2010, 11:38 PM
I have an md kubota diesel. Cuts amazing
Posted via Mobile Device

Drew Gemma
05-12-2010, 11:46 PM
best mower ever for our operation.

STIHL GUY
05-12-2010, 11:47 PM
they leave a beautiful manicured cut

sharpcuts
05-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Great mowers. I used to sell them. Wish I could use one here, but I'd need alot more manicured lawns to justify it. Too many rocks here. - Hey timber, you should check with your dealer. Just before I left the dealership in 2007 we were having some blower problems from that new bigger blower. They replaced some under warranty because they were wearing out in less than 200 hrs because of sandy soil (eastern NC). Seems like I remember them changing some pulleys to slow the blower down a couple r's. It didn't affect the way it worked at all, but it lengthened the life. Don't know for sure if your distributor is GHS or not, but they should remember it. - Hey! the third wheel mark can't be any worse than the one from my single wheel sulky on my Turf Tracer. Never caused me any problems.

rustyj
05-12-2010, 11:52 PM
I like them great cut we had problems with them biggest issue blower would wear hole threw housing and they the mower would catch on fire
Posted via Mobile Device

AllSeasonServices
05-13-2010, 12:54 AM
$15,000 for a 48" that has a really nice catcher...Dont get me wrong they are very good machines. cut great, very maneuverable, comfy but for $312.00 per inch its hard to justify.

jay1389
05-13-2010, 08:02 PM
I think i have a love hate relationship with them. We have a 2006 48" GHS and a 52" MT. I love the cut that the bagger leaves but the MT makes me want to throw up sometimes. I would prefer to have a different mower but than again i am not the one that is in charge of the money

TJLANDS
05-13-2010, 08:30 PM
$15,000 for a 48" that has a really nice catcher...Dont get me wrong they are very good machines. cut great, very maneuverable, comfy but for $312.00 per inch its hard to justify.

$15000 come on, .....low 9's is what you should be paying ----
Where did you come up with 15k.:dizzy:

I use both Walkers and Navigators, whoever gives me the best deal.
They are both great mowers if you need a dedicated bagger.

mdlwn1
05-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Walkers are one of the few machines that will do tight finish work as well as heavy commercial while sawing through some really tall grass.

AllSeasonServices
05-13-2010, 08:56 PM
MD tractor with the new 52" GHS. The local dealer had one the last time I was there. The machine was almost 15K. Something like 14,700

mikes landscaping
05-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Well the md is the diesel so I'd expect that price difference. And mine caught fire the other day due to the blower having a hole and it putting grass on the exhaust manifold haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Green Growers
05-14-2010, 12:30 AM
I love my walkers one is a 1997 36" with 1200 hrs. and the other is a 2006 48" with 500 hrs. both ghs. I love the finished look. Every mower has its place though. You have to figure out what works for you.

Az Gardener
05-15-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm about to make the switch sorry BOP. I have a few questions for those in the know...

How long does it take to switch decks? I was thinking of getting a bigger deck to have on the truck for the bigger lawns is that a crazy thought?

Anyone with the fuel injected model? How is the fuel use on that one? A local guy told me the 26 HP burn a lot of fuel and to stick with the smaller engine, but I don't know if he had the fuel injected model. Dealer tells me a 26 FI will use 1/3 less fuel than a carbuerated 23.

I am looking at an 09 26 Hp with 42" deck for 10-K another dealer in town quoted me 11 and change for a 2010 with a 23 Hp

What about the grass distribution system? I have heard that they are great but the arm breaks from time to time but its worth the money to replace and others say its a gimmick/waste of money don't bother.

That blower impeller is unbelievable looked like 1/4' steel, almost looked like a chipper.

I found a used one with 2700 hrs but looks very clean and well maintained and I know the guy somewhat, wants 3-K, seems like a lot of hours to me. I can get new with 3.9% interest for 3 years that seems like a better way to go any input?

mdlwn1
05-15-2010, 01:04 PM
A 20hp is more than enough for a 42" deck. We used 16hp at one time with 36" or 38" decks. Everyone wants a bigger motor, but it's unessessary 90% of the time. Deck changes can be done in a few minutes.

Firefighter337
05-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Ive got a 2008 MT GHS 42".

Leaves a great cut, excellent vacuum. On top of that it is a huge time saver for me.

I am normally a solo operator, with occasional help. My normal routine is to trim shrubs first, edge and then weed eat, then blow and rake everything into the grass. Then suck it up with the Walker. After that I blow the sidewalks and drive ways and blow off the grass if anything was not sucked up.

I also wish I had an open cut ZTR like an exmark, toro, etc. I have a few yards that do not need to be bagged all the time. But I just can't justify buying another mower at this time. And with the not catch deflector the grass is not mulched enough to leave it in the yard, so it is quicker and easier to bag.

So all in all? I love mine. And I paid right at 10,200 including tax for mine.

Also, as you know the blades are super easy to change out.

Cboy7
05-15-2010, 04:59 PM
I have a 42 inch walker for back yards and I like it , but it just seems too complicated and hard to service. so many little parts and shaft drive... I am super glad its only a part time mower.

Oh and the oil & filter is a PITA to change.

tallimeca
05-16-2010, 10:52 AM
$15000 come on, .....low 9's is what you should be paying ----
Where did you come up with 15k.

Actually, I will say com on to low 9's...... You aren't buying a MTGHS with a 48 collection deck and 26hp efi motor for low 9's. This is the model that 90 percent of the guys out there are running. 13-15k is what you are paying depending on location, dealer and options.........

I would also Highly recommend the Exmark Navigator as an option.

mdlwn1
05-16-2010, 10:57 AM
My dealer has no price difference between 42" and 48" decks. I paid 9300 new for my 20hp. He was selling the 26 just north of 11. That was me buying only 1 machine.....

B Gillespie
05-16-2010, 11:56 AM
If you mow nice yards weekly, look into the MC. Even with a 48" deck, it should have plenty of power to cut and collect 90%+ yards. However, if you ocassionaly mow an over grown property or want to run the 52" ghs or bigger side discharge decks, the 26 hp efi has more than enough power and is great on fuel economy.

After using my 28 hp efi for about 20 hours, I have rarely needed the power. I do enjoy the fuel economy. Replacement engines and parts are also much more costly for the efi or liquid cooled options.
Posted via Mobile Device

Az Gardener
05-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. With the scalping we have to do for winter over-seed I think the additional power of a 26 would be nice.

I have not heard any comments on the grass distribution system in the catcher, any input, great or gimmick???

B Gillespie
05-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Without it, the hopper will not pack as full or evenly. It is not necessary, but you will make more trips to empty.
Posted via Mobile Device

TJLANDS
05-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Actually, I will say com on to low 9's...... You aren't buying a MTGHS with a 48 collection deck and 26hp efi motor for low 9's. This is the model that 90 percent of the guys out there are running. 13-15k is what you are paying depending on location, dealer and options.........

I would also Highly recommend the Exmark Navigator as an option.

Stopped buying EFIs about 3 years ago, Not cost effective for my business.
If you would have read my posts I have both Walkers and Navigators.
The Walkers are 23hp and I still have some 26 EFIs. (had to replace a 26EFI this spring with only 1700 hrs)
The Navigators are 20hp , all of them are 48 ghs systems and both have plenty of power.
My last Walker was purchased last year, 48" ghs 23hp 10" blower 9250.00
My last Navigator purchase was this year, although it was a left over and I paid 9000.00, 20hp 48".
And one more thing, 90% of guys that buy the 26efi are pushed into it from the dealer because they make more money on it. The other 10% probably have had luck with it.
Most big companies buy the 23hp carb model and it is the most sold mower in the MT series, just ask walker themselves. So were did you get the 90% from.
Of course it is just my oppinion with reguards to the EFI but I have owned quite a number of them. Not worth the extra money.

mdlwn1
05-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. With the scalping we have to do for winter over-seed I think the additional power of a 26 would be nice.

I have not heard any comments on the grass distribution system in the catcher, any input, great or gimmick???

It's the industry benchmark. You couldnt ask for more. The clippings are chopped super small and fill the hopper completely. Think in terms of a green barrel after it's been packed down and still heaping=1 hopper. I would highly recomend demo'ing a 20hp if you can....Not discounting a bigger motor, just that I've never needed more power. Actually...I have to look...not sure if I have a 20 or 23.

B Gillespie
05-16-2010, 12:25 PM
TJLands speaks the truth. If I did it all over again, it would be an MT 23 with the suspension seat.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOW ED
05-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Love my 2000 MTGHS 42 with 26efi. Replaced a starter at about 1300 hrs and a hydro motor at 1700 hrs other than that its a huge moneymaker for me. I will ALWAYS own a Walker.

moaboy
05-17-2010, 04:51 AM
i have had 7 walkers, last one was a 31hp kohler water cooled which was a waist of time. It cracked a head, had recharge problems, had issues with sensors, and the large blower fell apart under 200 hours. I replaced 4 blowers in 1200 hours, the last 2 were broken shafts. After two and a half years of problems i ended up getting it replaced with a 23hp and a smaller blower, which renewed my belief in walker mowers. If you read the walker web site they state that the 10.5 blower will last 2 to 3 times longer than the older one. Not even.

Az Gardener
05-17-2010, 10:17 AM
What I'm running into is I can get the 26 EFI cheaper than a 20 or 23 and its in stock. Its 10-K Out the door I believe, it does have 13 hours on it.

mowslot54
05-17-2010, 11:15 AM
i love mine. if you do spring/fall clean up it makes things so much easier. the vacumn on it works amazingly. the only down side to the blower is that sometimes sticks will get caught in it and you have to turn it off and pull out the sticks. but thats no biggie. love mine!

mds2000
05-17-2010, 01:21 PM
picked up a mtghs 26efi with a 42 inch deck about a month a go for about 15k canadian i do find its a bit hard on gas but the power and cut is unbelivable and i love it and the thing sucks up ever thing from pine needles, thatch (spring or fall clean ups). leaves ect. beats the blower a rake any day

have tride a spring detaher works good a next year investment and picked up a jrco fertlaizer spreader did like 3 acres in like 10min (2-55 pound bags) that things is awesome a bit pricy but worth the money if doing a lot of big areas.
next i want to try the perferator and look into getting a 52 ghs deck for my bigger areas.

Mahoney3223
05-17-2010, 06:30 PM
the 3rd wheel mark they leave makes me want to throw up. worst looking cut of any mower ever made. EVER.

it fades out after a day...your insane...walkers cut the nicest of any mower IMO...we run two walkers and LOVE the cut, and the ugly third wheel stripe :rolleyes:

Mahoney3223
05-17-2010, 06:34 PM
az gardner,

I run 26 efi's. i have two of them and love them...they use much less gas than a carb'd model. i can run mine all day on a single 5 gallon tank. the GHS system is awesome. i have one with the super sucker and one without...the super sucker (bigger fan 10.5) is amazing..spend the extra money and get it...it vacuums up anything. it's awesome for wet tall grass and leaves. the smaller fan works good but you gotta go slowww so it doesn't clog up...this one you can scoot on it ( i have the speed kit on it)

tallimeca
05-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Stopped buying EFIs about 3 years ago, Not cost effective for my business.
If you would have read my posts I have both Walkers and Navigators.
The Walkers are 23hp and I still have some 26 EFIs. (had to replace a 26EFI this spring with only 1700 hrs)
The Navigators are 20hp , all of them are 48 ghs systems and both have plenty of power.
My last Walker was purchased last year, 48" ghs 23hp 10" blower 9250.00
My last Navigator purchase was this year, although it was a left over and I paid 9000.00, 20hp 48".
And one more thing, 90% of guys that buy the 26efi are pushed into it from the dealer because they make more money on it. The other 10% probably have had luck with it.
Most big companies buy the 23hp carb model and it is the most sold mower in the MT series, just ask walker themselves. So were did you get the 90% from.
Of course it is just my oppinion with reguards to the EFI but I have owned quite a number of them. Not worth the extra money.

I agree that the 26efi is not worth the money. Funny how dealers DO PUSH you into that model. Also funny how Walker says the efi is hands down their top seller......haha. Guess it depends on who you talk to. Guys in new england didn't want the 20 hp and when they made the change to the 23, it still got overlooked. Most guys in these parts are running the 26 efi, older 25 gas (on replacement engines by now) and the liquid cooled. I can't even remember the last time I seen a 20 hp come through the shop and never seen a 23 to date.

The biggest problems now are the hydro pumps. I have a customer who was caught between a navigator and a walker. Got a good deal on a left over walker and went with it. 200 hours and 2 pump changes later......

Another guy called today to "demo" a mower.....turns out he wanted a free rental, his machine with 6 hours on he bought last week only does donuts in foward. Zipper head undid the cap that clearly states not to break the seal and dealer won't cover under warranty.

ACA L&L
05-18-2010, 01:11 AM
we have a 20 hp 42" cut and its awesome, our 3rd one. our dealer has 0% for 12 months, well worth the $700 a month if ya can swing it.............we went with the 20 hp since the grass here grows but not real fast. we do cleanups in half the time we did before maybe even less than that. Wouldn't change out for the world.

TJLANDS
05-18-2010, 08:50 AM
I agree that the 26efi is not worth the money. Funny how dealers DO PUSH you into that model. Also funny how Walker says the efi is hands down their top seller......haha. Guess it depends on who you talk to. Guys in new england didn't want the 20 hp and when they made the change to the 23, it still got overlooked. Most guys in these parts are running the 26 efi, older 25 gas (on replacement engines by now) and the liquid cooled. I can't even remember the last time I seen a 20 hp come through the shop and never seen a 23 to date.

The biggest problems now are the hydro pumps. I have a customer who was caught between a navigator and a walker. Got a good deal on a left over walker and went with it. 200 hours and 2 pump changes later......

Another guy called today to "demo" a mower.....turns out he wanted a free rental, his machine with 6 hours on he bought last week only does donuts in foward. Zipper head undid the cap that clearly states not to break the seal and dealer won't cover under warranty.

Gotta say I have had very good luck with Hyro pumps.
In all the years buying walkers and now Navigators I have had one pump go on a new walker 15 hours in, that is the only one. My guys know to never touch any hydro on any mower.
Now the Lasers are a differant story, seem to have issues on most of mine at
the 1500 hour area.

Az Gardener
05-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Bought the 26 EfI today. Will pick it up tomorrow. 10-K out the door. Anyone use the edger attachment they show on the video?

What about the curb jumper that looks more like a good foot rest? Is that a good idea? I like to go easy on the equip but I just don't know if its needed. We do have some homes with 5"-6" curbs to go up to get to the turf.

mdlwn1
05-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Hop curbs going backward slowly.

shade tree landscaping
05-18-2010, 10:11 PM
we run a 20hp 42" model c, think its a 2008, bought brand new. Plenty of power with the 20hp, doesnt chug gas, only drawback in my eyes is the speed of Walkers in general, I wish they went a little faster. Very good piece of eqiupment to own, worth its wait in gold durning spring/fall clean ups. Def reccomend getting the de-thatcher that clips on deck, best couple hundered ever spent, will pay for itself in first spring or fall clean up season.

flatlander42
05-19-2010, 12:03 AM
we have a 20 hp 42" cut and its awesome, our 3rd one. our dealer has 0% for 12 months, well worth the $700 a month if ya can swing it.............we went with the 20 hp since the grass here grows but not real fast. we do cleanups in half the time we did before maybe even less than that. Wouldn't change out for the world.

what model was only $8,400? I just saw an '09 MC for $11,200 the other day.

gtbuzzzz
05-19-2010, 12:57 AM
I have an older 99 walker I use at home. Only has 400 hrs on it and love it! I also have the curb hopper gizmo. It came with the mower when I got it. It does work great for curbs but it's also a very nice foot rest.
Posted via Mobile Device

shade tree landscaping
05-19-2010, 06:41 PM
$11,200 for an MC? I have a 2008 MC with 42" deck, I was out the door inclu taxes for under $10,000. Shop around! Thats seems really high!

flatlander42
05-19-2010, 10:57 PM
$11,200 for an MC? I have a 2008 MC with 42" deck, I was out the door inclu taxes for under $10,000. Shop around! Thats seems really high!

I'm a "fan" of Walker on FB. I asked them how much a new one was and they told me to get into touch with my Local Guy. WHY can't the factory sales team have a price? stupid. I even emailed them last fall about the 36" snoblower and they had my local guy call me w/o them giving me an answer. I try to shop around, and have had good luck with the internet and craigslist....most of the time I stay away from dealers IF I can.

JShe8918
05-19-2010, 11:09 PM
They are hands down top notch! Easy to work on, best cut quality of any rotary, and all that. But the third wheel mark is an aquired taste. I personally like it. If i had a walker dealer with in 30 mins from me that is what i would have bought. I have owned one and LOVE it. BUT i have some rough yards and didn't know how it would perform on them being that i was mowing the rough ones with my scag. MT 48 23 around here is like 10700 plus tax