PDA

View Full Version : Need help with how much to charge

Phoenixblack
05-12-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm helping my dad do some yards, he's 70 but healthy as anything can be at that age. We usually do small yards/ business with push mowers, rarely a riding. This older lady wants us to do her Pasture, we are in Tx btw, She's around Eagle's Landing Avinger, I don't know if anyone here knows of it. Anyway's it's her mower a John Deere 54 inch zero turn, but her pasture is 12 acres, my dad said it's basically in the woods, but there is alot of openess. She also wants her fenceline trimmed. My dad has never had a circumstance like this and doesn't know what to charge. He has never used anyone else's equipment, nor did this much land. He told her maybe 12/hr. In my opinion the trimming alone is worth 20 minimum, what do you guys think? That's a BIG fenceline.

ajslands
05-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Why would you need to mow a pasture? Isint livestock suppose to "mow it for us?
Posted via Mobile Device

oh btw I have no idea what you would charge but 12$ seems kind of low...

MikeKle
05-12-2010, 10:29 PM
I would pass on this big of a job or refer her to someone else, as you clearly do not know how to bid properties, not bashing you ,but you will get screwed if you work this for $12 an hour! For 12 acres open, and it sounds like this pasture is mixed open and forest? well, just for an wide open 12 acres mowing, I would shoot for about $700 per mowing, and if it is heavily woodedand with all the fence line trimming, try about $1000. per cut. Are you sure she doesnt want this bush hogged a few times a year? I dont know many people that would pay to have a 12 acre field mowed every week? She could be making money off the hay someone could harvest from it, they do that like 3 times a year up here.

Phoenixblack
05-12-2010, 10:42 PM
I guess it's just a big open field, I havent seen it, and like I said it is her mower, and no I don't know how to bid on anything, I'm helping my dad. Where we are at, there's not alot of professional companies doing anything, just a bunch of small towns and country. All I know is, according to her it takes a couple of afternoons to mow with her mower, so probably 4 hours? But that much trimming, I don't know. My dad will do it, he's like that, I want to help, but don't want him ( or me ) to get screwed over. If you guys were doing this, with her mower, just an open field, then some trees here and there, how much would you charge?

topsites
05-12-2010, 10:44 PM
So why can't your dad come here and ask the dang question?

unkownfl
05-12-2010, 10:45 PM
If its a true commercial unit try about 6-8 hours mowing alone. That is at least 10 12 hours of line trimming. If its a stamped deck residential mower it will be wore slap out in a month.

Phoenixblack
05-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Cause he's a 70 year old man, idiot. God is everyone on this site like this? I'm asking for help, he doesn't ask for help, he's a stubborn man that does it all himself. Screw it, I'll go find a Texan forum, you yankees don't know anything about alot of land lmao.

MikeKle
05-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Try to find out the model of that mower, That much ground will still be hard on a commercial mower week after week though, and if it is a homeowner model, fuggettaboutit! However, if it is a capable mower, and she is paying for the fuel too, I would tell her at least $500-$600, it is still your time. Do not price this by the hour, do it by the job.

MikeKle
05-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Cause he's a 70 year old man, idiot. God is everyone on this site like this? I'm asking for help, he doesn't ask for help, he's a stubborn man that does it all himself. Screw it, I'll go find a Texan forum, you yankees don't know anything about alot of land lmao.

Geez, calm down a bit! If he is 70 yrs old, should he really be out mowing 12 acres of land anyway?! You have to expect a few questions if you come on here and ask a vague "bid this for me" question. there is so many variables involved, it is hard to give a quick black and white answer.

unkownfl
05-12-2010, 10:54 PM
LMAO yeah us Yankees here in FL know absolutely nothing about cutting grass.

unkownfl
05-12-2010, 10:56 PM
@ 12 per hour you will be operating in the negative because of the cost of line alone.

ajslands
05-12-2010, 10:58 PM
You should do the trimming and your dad should mow...

And if you're a dummie, I assumed you're not, but if you decide to bag it, I'd charge like three tikes as much :P
Posted via Mobile Device

MikeKle
05-12-2010, 11:34 PM
I think hes gone? Obviously he didnt get the answer he wanted or quick enough?! Sucks being him mowing 12 acres for $12 an hour though! Even if it took him 12 hours, he would only walk away with $144. Thats not enough to mow 3 acres, let alone 12, half wooded!!! Oh well!

50:1
05-13-2010, 10:40 PM

I just joined this site and I've found the same unhelpful, idiotic responses. If you find a decent site please let me know. If someone can't be helpful they just need to keep their mouth shut.

50:1
05-13-2010, 10:44 PM
When i'm unsure about pricing a job I just charge by the hour. If they don't like that then they can get someone else. I don't want to get taken advantage of but I also don't want to take advantage of anyone. "What is your time worth" is the advise an old timer gave me on this subject one time. I wouldn't go no less than $25-$35 per hour per worker if I were you. Or $50 for first hour and 25-35 per hour thereafter. Hope this helps.

starry night
05-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Stop bashing 70-year-old guys. :nono: (Even IF he is not smart enough to charge more than
$12 an hour.)

unkownfl
05-14-2010, 12:13 AM
When i'm unsure about pricing a job I just charge by the hour. If they don't like that then they can get someone else. I don't want to get taken advantage of but I also don't want to take advantage of anyone. "What is your time worth" is the advise an old timer gave me on this subject one time. I wouldn't go no less than $25-$35 per hour per worker if I were you. Or $50 for first hour and 25-35 per hour thereafter. Hope this helps.

How can you be on to give any advice. You have no experience in the subject matter but can calculate what he needs to make? You are asking how to advertise when if you go down to threads from where you posted there is another one written exactly about the same subject matter, yet you blame us users for being pricks. Its kinda hard to comprehend some of the spelling and grammar issues going on here. Now, I'm not saying I'm perfect or even super proficient, but when the red line is under the word you're trying to spell its kinda a hint. Back to the question how can you run a business charging the same as a helper would make?

rain man
05-14-2010, 12:40 AM
Must be a full moon.

I am coming to the conclusion that 90% of the guys I see cutting grass haven't the faintest clue what to charge and are unable to determine if they are indeed making a profit. They just charge a little less than what they hear other cutters are charging.

On a side note. No yankee accent here but know some and have come to like a few of them, once you can understand them. You just have to remember that they don't stretch out the vowels. Mint Juleps anyone?

MikeKle
05-14-2010, 12:44 AM

That is way too low to be charging per hour, the standard labor rate per hour is around $75. per hour btw. If I were to charge a job by the hour, that is the number I would shoot for, but I charge by the job. You wont be taking advantage of anyone with $75 per hour, they know what labor rates are today and actually expect to pay that amount most of the time.

If that 70 yr old guy and his kid want to work for $12 hour out in the Texas heat mowing 12 acres of pasture, then I wish them the best, but they wont be operating too much longer if that is their rates! I think the 70 yr old is still back in the 1960s or 70s and charging those rates!!!! I wish he lived around here, I would have him mow my grass in a heartbeat, since I can never get to it in time each week!! If it took him 45 minutes to mow mine, then his charge to me would be like under $10.....???

GreenHammer
05-14-2010, 12:52 AM
I would pass. Stick to what your capable of doing and doing well. Sounds like a black hole!