PDA

View Full Version : A MLB cut!!! HOW???

TMBLAWN
05-13-2010, 12:03 AM
I want the look of MLB fields? How can it be done?

LawnShark Kiley
05-13-2010, 12:04 AM
striping kit and straight lines

unkownfl
05-13-2010, 12:04 AM
Reel mower.

Mico Landscaping design
05-13-2010, 12:05 AM
A exmark!!!

THEGOLDPRO
05-13-2010, 12:06 AM
go buy a baseball franchise.

TMBLAWN
05-13-2010, 12:07 AM
I use a Toro 37". Is there a striping kit that is beter than the others or are they all the same?

unkownfl
05-13-2010, 12:08 AM
A exmark!!!

Never seen a exmark on a MLB field

White Gardens
05-13-2010, 12:09 AM
Get a simplicity and the floating deck with the rollers.

TMBLAWN
05-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Thats a standard cut for me! Im talking about the multi designs.

unkownfl
05-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Get a simplicity and the floating deck with the rollers.

Now I understand why no one up there has edgers.

unkownfl
05-13-2010, 12:12 AM

Just have to double cut in different directions to get the pattern you want.

White Gardens
05-13-2010, 07:42 AM

That was the first cut of this year on that lawn. (my only mow account)

Now I understand why no one up there has edgers.

Depends where you are at. That was in Danvers, not a whole lot of good curbs and sidewalks to edge. There are plenty in Bloomington though to keep looking sharp.

2brothersyardcare
05-13-2010, 07:48 AM
go buy a baseball franchise.

hahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

PerfectEarth
05-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Hmmmm let's see.

A small fleet of 18" to 26" walking reel mowers at an average of $8,000 each...

A couple tri-plex reel mowers at maybe $24,000 a piece...

...oh and all the reel grinding and maintenance equipment to go along with it.

MikeKle
05-13-2010, 08:31 AM
I would love to know how they lay some of those designs with the overlapping, and crazy stuff? And how would they able to see the design while doing it on the field? Maybe they have GPS or something that helps them out? The mowers they use are a reel type and look like a cross between a 3 wheeler and an outfront mower. I believe John Deere is the brand who makes them. It would be nice to get that kind of cut on every lawn, but they leave an almost manicured cut versus the rotary cuts we leave behind. Why are they so much more pricey than they type of mowers we use? Would they even leave the same cut quality if taken on normal yards and not ball fields?

MrRob
05-13-2010, 08:36 AM
here in st louis at Busch stadium they have an arch design in the grass. Thats done with a push broom & some water. There was an article in the paper on how they did it.

& also guys I think it has more to do with the grass & not the mower. I know now of my accounts have grass as nice as a baseball field.

PerfectEarth
05-13-2010, 08:58 AM
There is no way you could use a reel mower like a golf/baseball turf mower on your residential yards.... Too bumpy, too much debris, reel mowers are not effective at a 2.75 or 3 inch cut. They are meant for closely mown turf.

A spare reel unit for a Toro Flex21 mower ALONE costs 3800.00 or something like that... And trust me...been running reel mowers for 15 years and you do NOT want the maintenance associated with them... They'd last 2 minutes on a normal yard before your bedknife was ruined.

txgrassguy
05-13-2010, 10:03 AM
There is no way you could use a reel mower like a golf/baseball turf mower on your residential yards.... Too bumpy, too much debris, reel mowers are not effective at a 2.75 or 3 inch cut. They are meant for closely mown turf.

A spare reel unit for a Toro Flex21 mower ALONE costs 3800.00 or something like that... And trust me...been running reel mowers for 15 years and you do NOT want the maintenance associated with them... They'd last 2 minutes on a normal yard before your bedknife was ruined.

Wrong - all a reel mower is, is a slightly different way to mow turf. The actual blade count in the reel determines height of cut applicability. On some sites I have used reel mowers at over 4" to maintain tall rough to punish golfers.

Possibly the best rough surface reel mower made is the National series of riding mowers. Open faced design (no forward roller) means they will cut weeds, debris typically blows right through the reel but the metal in the reels is HARD. Very difficult to grind properly. Easy to face though.

If all you want is to design some sort of layout in turf, particularly C3 turf simply hollow core aerify two directions to open up the soil, drag in the cores, hammer the site with a bunch of chelated iron then your stripes will appear more visible.

Layout the design with marking flags then simply mow it in. If you need some sort of marking material use corn starch sprinkled along the edges to better define the design.

Also depending upon how handy you are, any manner of striping kit can be easily made for your mower - rollers aren't necessary as bailing belt material is stiff enough to re-orientate the leaf tissue needed to promote the design.

unkownfl
05-13-2010, 10:56 AM

My grand father used his reel mower on his Bermuda for 10+ years. He also cut at 2 inches or less.