PDA

View Full Version : Occasional use vs Professional use Stihl hedge trimmers

Somthinrandm
05-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Im in the market for purchasing a hand held gas powered hedge trimmer. I want to shop stihl but they have two catogorys for hedge trimmers. One is for Occasional users (homeowners) and one for Professionals (commercial Use). Even though I use all of my tools for commerical use, I can't see myself spending $500+ for a commercial hedge trimmer that i don't use very often. I can estimate i trim 100 shrubs or less in a whole season. I have a extended length hedge trimmer. But its a hassle to use on smaller shrubs.
My question is, Does anyone use a "stihl HS 45" occasional use hedge trimmer. Do you use it for commercial use. I want to get a HS45, to use on my commercial Clients yards, but I don't want it to break instantly on me. Does anyone know the differance between the HS 45 and the HS 81T.
Thanks To all

unkownfl
05-13-2010, 12:05 AM
get the articulated head for your echo.

droptine
05-13-2010, 12:08 AM
I think what is covered and how long it is covered is the most difference. As for the home vs pro my boss bought us the home use one and it works fine. Just make sure you mix the gas/oil right. we trim about 20 hours a year with it

Dugann
05-14-2010, 11:16 PM
We have been using the home owner rated for 3 years now and now issues. We have 2 pairs. We do use them about every day. They have been good for us and have paid for them self many times ...knock on wood so far no major issues with them but proper maintenance. Just my 3 cents of info.

Outdoors_Unlimited
05-14-2010, 11:25 PM
I have a set of the 45. No issues in two years now. I actually like them better than the heavy 81s.
Posted via Mobile Device

Firefighter337
05-15-2010, 09:06 AM
I have had the 45s for almost 3 years now. No problems yet. Lightweight and get the job done.

I have the kombi hedge trimmers as well. Non-articulating type.

Love both of them.

FLAhaulboy
05-15-2010, 02:47 PM
I bought the
KM 55 R STIHL KombiMotor about two years ago. It is homeowner rated. I use it commercially, not full time, though. Absolutely no problems so far.

I'd recommend you get a Kombi instead ($200) because of the numerous "attachments" available. I mainly use the chainsaw attachment more than anything but have both hedger attachments also.

rreyn1812
05-15-2010, 04:26 PM
My Stihl dealer/repair tech stated that he would not buy the "pro" version, but would get the HS 45. The HS 81 apparently has some issues and he has had more repairs on it than on the 45. Based on that I bought the HS 45 and am very pleased with it. I mainly use it a couple of times a week.

Yuanding
05-16-2010, 01:12 PM
The HS45 is pretty bullet proof. I've had one for six years, and use it commercially, though obviously not on a daily basis all year round. It's actually got more power than the professional models (and that's Stihl's own assessment, not mine).

The one thing you've got to do is keep your gearbox greased, and avoid hitting anything metallic (eg fencing wire) with the blades, as it can wreck them.