PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Yard Boss

CowboysLawnCare
05-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Does anyone have one?? I'm looking to buy one mainly for tilling up beds and edging. Just wondering if they are worth the money.

Alan0354
05-13-2010, 02:58 AM
I have the Mantis which is very much the same. I read a lot about edging. It dose not work very well because the rpm is too slow. I take their words and never use it for edging even I have the edging tine and wheel that come free.

I can tell you that the dethatch work exceptionly well. Unless you have a big Blue Bird that vacuum the dead grass after dethatching, I doubt you can do dethatching much faster with the Blue Bird because the time to rake it is the time consumming part. The spring tine ( same as Yardboss) is very gentle to the lawn that it looks good right after dethatching so you don't have to explain to your customers that it will look good in two weeks. And you don't have to mow before you dethatch if the grass is less than 4".

The Yardboss has the power brush that I really miss. If I were to do it again, I would seriously consider the YardBoss instead because of the power brush. And also you have option to add weight where the Mantis don't.

These kind of mini cultivator is very useful for weeding, going between tight space. I even use it for weeding on very narrow strip of dirt between concrete sidewalk and shrubs. It is so narrow that I have to use the wheel from the edging tine set to replace tine on one side. Using one tine to get onto the narrow strip to do weeding with the wheel rolling on the concrete side walk. You can really do a narrow strip of weeding.

It is so useful my wife even want me to show her how to use the Mantis( which to me is the same as Yardboss).

As for quality, I doubt there is much difference between Mantis, Yardboss or Honda. So I just lump them up and speak in general terms. They are more useful than you imagin!!!

Two Seasons
05-13-2010, 11:03 AM
We have one. Pretty worthless for edging. Tilling is ok.

We have the rubber paddles too. Good cleanup tool.

Alan0354
05-13-2010, 12:10 PM
I forgot, if you don't plan to use power brush or paddle, you might want to consider the new Mantis 35cc bigger cultivator. It is 30lbs and more powerful. It can use the existing tines. With the extra power, the tine should spin faster on the ground and make the edging tine more effective. The smaller engine rpm drop too much when the tine is on the ground. Even my Honda 25cc rpm drop big time the moment you rest it on the dirt. The 35cc Honda is 1.5 hp. A lot stronger than both the Yardboss and............. my Mantis:cry::cry::cry:

But that is going to cost you!!!

CowboysLawnCare
05-14-2010, 01:19 AM
Ok, thanks for the advice. I just thought of the yard boss because it is a Sthil and it is not a bad price.

Alan0354
05-14-2010, 02:50 AM
As I said, Stihl have the power brush and paddle that Mantis and Honda don't have, that is a big advantage. If comes to the engine, I would have to put my bet on the Honda GX25 and the GX35. These are true commercial engines rather than the homescaper engine. But I think the Homescaper engine is plenty good. My decision mainly on the quietness of the Honda engine. I live in the liberal area that sooner or later will have noise ordinance. Also nobody stock the Yardboss for me to even look at it.

GardnerLandscaping
05-14-2010, 05:11 AM
i'd imagine they wouldn't work well, especially for tilling. not enough hp as alan says. i've looked at them for doing aeration for over-seeding or spot aeration so i don't have to outsource it. i'd use a real tiller for planting a bed and use a stick edger for getting a clean edge. you can get a sears 9 hp 22" tiller for $300 with discounts. rear tine is better for ease of us and counter-rotating will give you a finer soil for $500-600 from sears. if you want to do just landscape beds, the regular front or rear tine would work since all you're wanting to do is chop and mix most likely already silted soil. there are real bed edgers on the market, but i've never noticed them or looked. you should also know the tines wear quickly, especially the type that are vertical where the blades curve at 90 degrees at the end, but they do a better job at cutting into tough soil and leaving a finer soil. replacing them on a honda can get expensive.

mypolaris1
05-14-2010, 05:36 AM
I've had one for years. Works good for what itr's meant for. Yard dethaching is great. The power broom is really good to get gravel or debris out of grass. I use it a ton for spring cleanups! The aerating att not so well since it's not heavy enough to go in the ground. The tiller works good on semi-loose ground. Hard pack like sod or clay and it won't touch it.

Alan0354
05-14-2010, 12:38 PM
i'd imagine they wouldn't work well, especially for tilling. not enough hp as alan says. i've looked at them for doing aeration for over-seeding or spot aeration so i don't have to outsource it. i'd use a real tiller for planting a bed and use a stick edger for getting a clean edge. you can get a sears 9 hp 22" tiller for $300 with discounts. rear tine is better for ease of us and counter-rotating will give you a finer soil for $500-600 from sears. if you want to do just landscape beds, the regular front or rear tine would work since all you're wanting to do is chop and mix most likely already silted soil. there are real bed edgers on the market, but i've never noticed them or looked. you should also know the tines wear quickly, especially the type that are vertical where the blades curve at 90 degrees at the end, but they do a better job at cutting into tough soil and leaving a finer soil. replacing them on a honda can get expensive.

I have a front tine also. You can't break hard ground with the little cultivator. But I till the ground once a year with the big tiller, then weeding with my Mantis for the rest of the year because the soil is loose. Then next year, I do it with the big one again after the rain to break the harder soil.

For flower bed, the Mantis work really well, I have two raised flower bed, I can't lift the big guy up then, so I just use my Mantis, it work even if the soil is hard. The Mantis do have life time warranty on their tines.

I do have to point out, I bought direct from Mantis. They have the BEST service BAR NONE. They forgot to put greece in the gear box:hammerhead::nono: It frose up half a year later. I called them, they actually apologized, sent me a new gear box in 5 days and arranged to pick up the old one 5 days later, free, no question asked. Now that is service. I don't have to deal with shipping and all, front door service. Nothing like what I had to go through with my dealer.