PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation system review befor buying >>

platinum
05-13-2010, 12:34 AM
I have had a couple of qoutes for irrigation systems for my house. I have attached the latest with a parts list and a layout the company was going to use.

Does anyone see anyhing missng or something I dont need for my setup.

What do you feel an accepatable price would be for this installation with parts. If you need to PM Est. pricing that is fine.

thanks for the help.

-Austin

topsites
05-13-2010, 03:20 AM
Sounds to me more like you're someone trying to get this job
but you have no clue on how to price it.

That's what it sounds like.

platinum
05-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Nope, just a homeowner that wants to make sure he is getting the right parts at a decent deal, that's all. The parts list I provided was from a local company but I did not want to post their prices.

I guess what I am looking for is confirmation that the layout provided should be acceptable and that the parts suggested will meet that need. I don't want to get into something and realize i should of had this or that. If I know up front I hopefully can negotiate that into the contract/price.

Thanks for the assistance.

Kiril
05-13-2010, 10:08 AM
I have had a couple of qoutes for irrigation systems for my house. I have attached the latest with a parts list and a layout the company was going to use.

Does anyone see anyhing missng or something I dont need for my setup.

What do you feel an accepatable price would be for this installation with parts. If you need to PM Est. pricing that is fine.

thanks for the help.

-Austin

You need to provide a real design.

platinum
05-13-2010, 12:12 PM
That's what was provided to me, not something I created.

What questions should I be asking the company doing the work to ensure its a solid job.

jsmonroeCT
05-14-2010, 03:35 PM
How large is the property? In our old house, we had about an acre covered with an irrigation system and we only had 25 rotors. If I counted correctly, are there 21 rotors? My advice would be to have 4 or 5 quotes ask a lot of questions: why these heads here, why these heads there, brand of the rotors/control box, how is your water pressure, etc. Like I said, I don't install irrigation systems but I asked tons of questions when the irrigation company came to service the system, learning tons. Good luck.

platinum
05-15-2010, 09:57 AM
thanks..

I have about 6000 sq/ft including the beds. Water pressure is ~10GPM

I am working on a couple more qoutes.

It looks like Hunter and Rain bird are really the major players in the home space. Is one better over the other. Hunter is what everyone is quoting

Kiril
05-15-2010, 10:05 AM
water pressure is ~10GPM

That would be flow. What you need to determine is how much flow you can get at the required pressure for the zone. For example, if you are running standard rotors, you ideally will want to maintain a minimum of 45 PSI at the nozzle.

It looks like Hunter and Rain bird are really the major players in the home space. Is one better over the other. Hunter is what everyone is quoting

Hunter products are slightly cheaper than RB. IMO, RB 1800 series spray bodies are the best, next would be Hunter Institutional. If sprays are going to be used, I prefer to see ones with a check and pressure regulated stem, be it Hunter or RB.

BTW, I would consider hiring someone qualified to put together a real irrigation plan, then get bids based on that. That stuff you posted is a joke and I would not walk, but run away from that contractor.

platinum
05-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks Kiril...

I attached another design I got from Raidbird that seems more thorough.

I can get those parts for aroun $700-800. If I can just find someone to install locally for around 1k I think I am going to do it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=188434&d=1273957474

Kiril
05-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Yes, looked at it. Still not quite there, but it is way better than the other one.

platinum
05-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Any easy suggestions so I can modify the design and have people quote it.

Kiril
05-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Any easy suggestions so I can modify the design and have people quote it.

OK, here are a few things to consider. I am not going through the material list, and I would recommend you do NOT use all RB material ... or even the suggested materials. Also, as pointed out above .... you need to verify dynamic pressure at the POC before you continue.

Assuming top is north:

Zone 1

Lack of coverage in south-west corner of the zone and north-east corner will require water from zone 4 in order to maintain DU.

Standard rotors will not work here assuming scale is correct.

Sprinklers around patio are poorly placed

Don't know about you, but I wouldn't put a manifold in the lawn.

Zone 2

That triangle by the sidewalk and that entire corner near that triangle is not getting adequate coverage

Spanning the sidewalk with the zone is not a good idea. You should keep the parkway strip on its own zone.

Zones 3 & 4

Might be able to combine the two with proper choice of low output sprinkler (ex. MPRotator)

Again .... manifold in the lawn .... why?

Zone 5

Same problems as zone 1 with poor sprinkler placement

Standard rotors will not work here as well assuming scale is correct

Zone 6

Putting the north parkway strip on the same zone as that small area of turf by the front door is not a good idea, nor is the coverage even close to adequate in that area.

I would give serious consideration to completely bailing on the turf in that area. It is a difficult (at best) area to water efficiently.

Zone 7

This zone needs attention and quite likely a single zone is not adequate.

Drip is the best option ... however I would not use RB drip line.

Don't think that because they drew in a single line for drip that is all you need. At a minimum you will need 2-3 runs in these beds.

Some other thoughts

You need to detail what types of plants/trees you have and what their water requirements are.

Any trees in the lawn? How will they impact DU of the irrigation system?

Recommend getting rid of the turf by the front door and dedicate zone 6 to watering the parkway strip on both sides of the driveway

Now you have something to think about today.

platinum
05-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Thanks Kiril.. great feedback. This gives me something to work with.