PDA

View Full Version : I might look like a Low baller tomorrow so no pictures of me please

soloscaperman
05-13-2010, 01:04 AM
If you see a nice red Exmark rider ZTR getting towed by a 2002 ZR2 blazer that's me, lol.

The fuel pump went on my truck after 196,000 miles. In order for it to start you gotta hit the gas tank.

For anyone that owns a 1987-1999 Chevy 15000 what is the best brand fuel pump to buy? Thank god it's the older truck they are so easy to diagnose and fix. I looked at the throttle body and gas wasn't pouring into the blades then I had my friend crank it and once I hit the gas tank it started up.

mnglocker
05-13-2010, 01:16 AM
If you see a nice red Exmark rider ZTR getting towed by a 2002 ZR2 blazer that's me, lol.

The fuel pump went on my truck after 196,000 miles. In order for it to start you gotta hit the gas tank.

For anyone that owns a 1987-1999 Chevy 15000 what is the best brand fuel pump to buy? Thank god it's the older truck they are so easy to diagnose and fix. I looked at the throttle body and gas wasn't pouring into the blades then I had my friend crank it and once I hit the gas tank it started up.

Pay the money and get the OEM Delphi/AC Delco. It lasted for 196k, that's only about 2x as long as most guys can wish for.

rustyj
05-13-2010, 01:25 AM
Pay the money and get the OEM Delphi/AC Delco. It lasted for 196k, that's only about 2x as long as most guys can wish for.

I agree
Posted via Mobile Device

soloscaperman
05-13-2010, 01:30 AM
I thought they are or were going out of business Delphi? I don't think the products they make know are any good. With GM being "bankrupt" would the they find ways to make parts cheaper to save money.

Also to get it from the dealer they charge 5X as much plus you gotta wait for the shipping and stuff.

topsites
05-13-2010, 03:18 AM
See now, everyone always thinks the guy towing their stuff in an
under-classed vehicle must be one of those lowballers, just something
to remember the next time we see someone like that.

Richard Martin
05-13-2010, 04:17 AM
Walbro makes a whole lot of the fuel pumps for auto manufacturers. Just go to www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com and get a fuel pump. It'll be at your door in a couple of days.

Make sure you drain the fuel from the tank before you try to drop it. Those tanks are very heavy and awkward when they have gas in them.

Sammy
05-13-2010, 08:05 AM
See now, everyone always thinks the guy towing their stuff in an
under-classed vehicle must be one of those lowballers, just something
to remember the next time we see someone like that.

Wow, I have to agree with Toppy on this one !

MOHUSTLER
05-13-2010, 09:00 AM
I use to think that all people were lowballers pulling a trailer with an SUV. Till last week and a guy in a ford mustang with 2 push mowers straped in the trunk and a weedeater hanging out his passenger side window came in my shop. He had custom shirts made and door magnets that no joke said "undercutters lawn care".............

GonHuntin
05-13-2010, 09:11 AM
On these trucks, it is easier to unbolt and lift the front of the bed than to drop the tank.

AllSeasonServices
05-13-2010, 09:53 AM
GonHuntin is right. If its an 8' bed it should just be 8 bolts, the rear harness plug, fuel spout, ground cable and pick up the bed. Its easy to drop the tank if its empty putting it back in is the PITA.
And yea there is a guy around here with a 21" POS sticking out the back of his late 80s rusted out IROC Z. Its great...

soloscaperman
05-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Should I buy just the pump for $56 bucks or the whole setup for $199. I will be keeping the truck forever and it will end up being a snow plow truck 3-5 years when I get a new truck.

mnglocker
05-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Should I buy just the pump for $56 bucks or the whole setup for $199. I will be keeping the truck forever and it will end up being a snow plow truck 3-5 years when I get a new truck.

Cry now and be done with it. Don't cheap out on a fuel pump. When you do it will leave you stranded when you need it most and it's not something you can/should repair on the side of the freeway in -10* weather with the plow hanging out in the intersection.

mnglocker
05-13-2010, 10:14 AM
And yea there is a guy around here with a 21" POS sticking out the back of his late 80s rusted out IROC Z. Its great...

What kind of fuel pump does he run, can you find out? :hammerhead:

DLCS
05-13-2010, 10:15 AM

The whole setup, do it and be done.

mnglocker
05-13-2010, 10:15 AM
And acutally, I'd love it if the fuel pump(s) in my truck were to cost only $200. Get a Diesel, then you can cry alot.

soloscaperman
05-13-2010, 10:25 AM
I will buy the AIR teck that's all I can find for the whole kit.

Thank god it happened at my friends house. Gotta love GM when it breaks down it does it on the driveway, that's how all my GM's have been. Not sure whats worse having it break down before getting laid or breaking down on the highway.

soloscaperman
05-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Bought the Carter one for $200 for the whole unit. Thanks guys.

mbrew
05-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Bought the Carter one for $200 for the whole unit. Thanks guys.

I think you'll be happy you did that. I didn't the first TWO times I changed the pump on my '97. I thought I had gotten bad pumps, but the last time I pulled it, I saw some burn marks where the wire harness connects. My guess is that there had been a bad connection in there causing my problems. There is a lot of talk about pumps failing on these things, but I'm willing to bet that a lot of those problems are in that connection.

I'll be pulling the upper intake on mine and changing the pressure regulator tomorrow. That's another common failure item.

Good Luck,
Mike

soloscaperman
05-14-2010, 12:58 AM
It's all set. The other owner was right it was the original one it was all rusted! I touched the old lines on the pump and they broke apart in pieces! Truck has 198,000 miles

unkownfl
05-14-2010, 01:04 AM
It's all set. The other owner was right it was the original one it was all rusted! I touched the old lines on the pump and they broke apart in pieces! Truck has 198,000 miles

Good thing you did the whole unit because the next thing that goes is the sending unit and then your gas gauge bounces around. I have a 2000 and it need the sending unit it goes from e to full every time I stop or put it in park.

Tom'sLandscapeDesign
05-14-2010, 02:54 AM
I towed my trailer with my Ferris WB once with my Subaru WRX.