PDA

View Full Version : Dethatcher + Aerator

andy.radloff
05-13-2010, 03:34 AM
I've been in business or a while now but I'm looking to buy a dethatcher and an aerator. I just purchased a Dixie Chopper this week so does any one have an opinion on tow behind equipment vs. separate pieces of equipment? Which will do a better job and is better for the long haul, because I want something that will last me a long time.

Thanks,
Andy

topsites
05-13-2010, 04:13 AM
It is unfortunate, I would love nothing more than to sit on my tail and
do the same job as the fool sweating and working hard, not to mention
for about 3,000 dollars less.

But there exist reasons why the tow-behind units are far cheaper,
also it's unfortunately a case where the hard way is the right way.

On a tow-behind unit the tines are spaced twice as far apart, a typical
tow-behind axle fits 24-28 tines in the same space my walk behind has 42,
you can clearly see this when looking at two of these axles side by side.
Mine are about 4 inches apart, the tow-behind units are 6-8 inches apart.
Riding over the yard twice doesn't fix the problem, the holes are spaced properly only on the first pass.

The axle on a walk-behind unit is propelled instead of just dragging along,
the tines propel the machine, digging into the turf... On a tow-behind unit
there is little in the way of positive traction.

The weight on a Walk-behind like my Classen is around 300 pounds, I don't see
anyone fitting six 50 pound sand bags on top of a tow-behind.

And so on...
Do as you wish.

Tim's Lawn Care LLC.
05-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Andy, go to " jrco.com ". Screw that drag behind crap.

John deer Z
05-13-2010, 07:52 AM

Riding over the yard twice doesn't fix the problem, the holes are spaced properly only on the first pass.

And so on...
Do as you wish.

You have not tried the clausen big red tow behind obvesliy! The big red tow behind does a great job and you can make as many passes as you want without all the stress! Have used one for years with great sucess.

John deer Z
05-13-2010, 07:53 AM

And so on...
Do as you wish.

You have not tried the clausen big red tow behind obviously! The big red tow behind does a great job and you can make as many passes as you want without all the stress! Have used one for years with great success.

mwh350
05-13-2010, 09:48 AM
I agree with the Tow behind Comment. I have owned many many walk behind aerators over the years. Plugr, Billy goat, Ryan, Bluebird. Couldn't believe how much nicer the Classen tow behind was than all of them. I would have to comment that it's like everything else in this business. The larger machine is faster and easier to use, but it doesn't fit every property. I currently use a Billy goat walk behind, and a Classen tow behind. I use the Classen on the large propertys, and the billy goat on the small ones with gates. And I can guarantee in the exact same conditions the tow behind will pull much deeper plugs and a hell of a lot more of them as I can make 2 or 3 passes in the same time the schlep with the walk behind can. Keeping in mind this advice comes from someone that owns both types. I would have to say if I were only going to purchase one or the other I would start with an affordable used walk behind as it may take you more time on your large jobs you will not have to turn down the business of some idiot that put in a 36 inch gate to the back yard.

AllSeasonServices
05-13-2010, 11:02 AM
What about the front mounted dethatchers. I was thinking about putting a JRCO on my machine. I decided to just finish the cleanups with my Billy Goat. Are they any good, They dont look like they do near as good a job and the walk behind and they also look kinda chintzy..

mwh350
05-13-2010, 11:09 AM
I am super impressed with this as a spring cleanup tool. I can honestly say that second to my lazer z 60" this piece of equipment has been hands down best purchase I ever made speaking of spring tine dethatcher. I have had customers say the same thing as you. It doesn't look as agressive as what the other people use. I always smile then say let me do a small area. If you are not completely satsified with the results I will put it back on the trailer and get out the machine you were expecting. I keep that machine for gated areas. I personally prefer the jrco it as it it doesn't seem to be aggressive enough to get the job done without tearing the yard up. I do always work the lawn in two directions with this however. There is something to be said about sitting on your butt and doing the job twice as fast as the other guy. It allows me to be competitive with everybody in my area price wise, and still make 2 or three times the rate per hour.

JRCO
05-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Andy, go to " jrco.com ". Screw that drag behind crap.

Thanks for the mention, Tim. You're close.

www.jrcoinc.com

Also, thanks for the kind words, MWH350.

Andy, please contact me if I can help with anything. I'd be happy to tell you more about our attachments.

It's all about using the right tools for your specific jobs. In other words, what will help you get the job done and be profitable.

Bill