PDA

View Full Version : zero turn lawnmower

lam84204
05-13-2010, 08:56 AM
We just bought a house with 5 acres of lawn and we are looking for a zero turn lawnmower. I know we want a 60 inch deck and so far have been told about Gravely, Skag and Hustler. It is alot of money and want to get the best. The lawn has some slopes and if we spend this much money we want to get something that will work on the next house if we should move. Guidance is much apprecited

06LTNox
05-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Biggest thing you will hear is buy from a dealer that is easy to get service from. Its not as important for us home owners, but it still sucks having to drive an hour one way to get a part. I would suggest looking at a commercial level mower, they typically will cut faster and last longer.

I picked up a Deere Z820a from Larson Farm & Lawn in Nixa earlier this year, they were great to deal with, talk with Randy if you check there. The mower has been awesome to use and I can't complain about it too much.

MarcSmith
05-13-2010, 10:04 AM
not to take anything away from a 60 z turn. I have found the a 52" will cut better than a 60. less scalping and the 23-25hp range is a good size engine. We have both a 52 and 60 scag on campus and the 52 get more the guys like it better and I've used both and when the 60" bites the bullet I'll buy another 52...

But have you also thought about a lawn and garden tractor like a deere or a kubota and the versatility with attachment that make it more than just a lawn mower. with 5 acres I'm think you got a fair amount of stuff to do, drive to keep clear or keep leveled, hauling stuff around. Plus the tractor would handle the slopes better more comfy ride Just something else to chew on...

probe1957
05-13-2010, 10:13 AM
I am going to go with Marc here and suggest a tractor for that size of yard. MUCH more versatile than a zero turn. In a perfect world, buy both.

MarcSmith
05-13-2010, 10:38 AM
if you were cutting 30 1/2 acre yards for money go with the productivty of a Z But I think you'd get far more use out of the tractor. it might take you 10 minutes each week extra.....

CaptPat
05-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Get a compact or sub-compact tractor--there are lots of options and a tractor offers much more versatility for the other chores you will be needing to do.

kamp
05-14-2010, 03:06 PM
If your retired and like to ride around on a sub-compact tractor go for it. If you want to get your yard mowed in half the time and get on with your life get a ztr. I just got a gravely 260z 60" cut and can mow my 2 acres in about an hour. I like to mow my yard tall around 4 so I don't have a problem with scalping and helps keep the weeds out with taller grass and better root system. No matter what height you mow you still have to mow it again in a week.

MarcSmith
05-14-2010, 05:04 PM
^ I agree the ZTR will be faster, not 1/2 the time faster, but it will be faster. but keep in mind the attachments you could get with a tractor could save time elswhere IE plowing a driveway with a compact tractor VS a shovel or walk behind snow blower...

I was just stating the one should not rule out a compact tractor. and I'm not talking about a POS that you buy at a big box store.. for 3K

2001FZ1
05-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Biggest thing you will hear is buy from a dealer that is easy to get service from. Its not as important for us home owners, but it still sucks having to drive an hour one way to get a part. I would suggest looking at a commercial level mower, they typically will cut faster and last longer.

I picked up a Deere Z820a from Larson Farm & Lawn in Nixa earlier this year, they were great to deal with, talk with Randy if you check there. The mower has been awesome to use and I can't complain about it too much.

I have to agree to this statement about buying a mower that is easy to get service from. I went with a Scag for a many reasons including that the dealer is less than 10 mins away.

I would also suggest staying away from a 60 inch. They don't fit on 5 x 8 trailers too well, won't fit through many fence gates and other obstacles (between trees). I would have liked a 52" but couldn't find a leftover 2009 with a 52.

MarcSmith
05-14-2010, 10:31 PM
the OP is a homeowner so getting through gates and on a trailer on a regular basis isn't an issue

rtharris
05-15-2010, 12:31 PM
We just bought a house with 5 acres of lawn and we are looking for a zero turn lawnmower. I know we want a 60 inch deck and so far have been told about Gravely, Skag and Hustler. It is alot of money and want to get the best. The lawn has some slopes and if we spend this much money we want to get something that will work on the next house if we should move. Guidance is much apprecited
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Go look at a bad boy zt6000 at tsc or a bad boy dealer60 in deck 27 hp kohler tough as nails 4995 u cant beat it for what u will be doing with it i know i own one
Posted via Mobile Device

castlerockmo
05-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Take a look at the husqvarana pz that's a real nice mower with a real good warrenty. Over at loftis in ozark you can get one for 9500 comes with a lifetime warrenty on the deck, spendal housings and frame and three year on the rest of the mower.
Posted via Mobile Device

joeco129
05-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Get a compact or sub-compact tractor--there are lots of options and a tractor offers much more versatility for the other chores you will be needing to do.

What are some good brands of compacts or sub compacts to consider?

2001FZ1
05-18-2010, 03:19 PM

Scag has the Freedom Z that is smaller than all other Scags and can be bought for a tad of $5k. Its still built pretty rugged and has two hydro pumps.

Dixie Chopper has a smaller unit that can be bought for about $5k too.

Simplicity has some pretty small units but I'm not sure how good they are. I think another company makes them.....ferris maybe?

06LTNox
05-18-2010, 04:18 PM

Take a look at the Deere units at the dealers, not the box stores. I had considered a x3/x5/x7 before I bought our Z820. They can do everything from being a basic mower to running a front end loader on the big units with 4 wheel drive.

nmurph
05-18-2010, 05:38 PM
while i agree that you probably need a compact or subcompact tractor to help you manage you property, i would not want to mow that much with a tractor if you have many obstacles to cut around. depending on how much you will need a tractor immediately, you might buy it first and use a finish mower on the back. if you can put off the tractor for a while i would go with a ztr. i am partial to Hustler, but most of the major manufacturers make quality machines that will make you happy. as mentioned, dealer support should be at least as important as what color mower you buy, and don't dismiss a low hour commercial mower. it is pretty easy to find homeowners selling low hour commercial machines. a ztr could likely cut your mowing time by 50% vs a CUT depending on the layout of your yard, leave you with less of a rutting problem and make your mowing job more enjoyable.