PDA

View Full Version : Need some help please! How do I get rid of very thick Ivy?

letzgoblues
05-13-2010, 10:07 AM
The Ivy is growing manily on the ground. The roots seem very thick and I am not sure how anything else would even grow there. Thanks

Think Green
05-14-2010, 07:34 AM
What type of Ivy? English--Boston?
IS this in a bed or bare root around grass and trees.?

If there is no sprinkler system involved or no large trees to obstruct your work, then roto till up the area, rake out the material and roots. The procedure of removing stems,roots, and those rhizomes will not be a one time you are done job. A customer likes ivy but the long term effects of their growth habits can be troublesome. A 2-3 time visit will need to be allowed and yearly maintenance to keep it out is needed. Herbicides will help as long as you are licensed for hire. If you are a homeowner doing it for your own pleasure then go a head and do your own property.

letzgoblues
05-14-2010, 09:44 AM
What type of Ivy? English--Boston?
IS this in a bed or bare root around grass and trees.?

If there is no sprinkler system involved or no large trees to obstruct your work, then roto till up the area, rake out the material and roots. The procedure of removing stems,roots, and those rhizomes will not be a one time you are done job. A customer likes ivy but the long term effects of their growth habits can be troublesome. A 2-3 time visit will need to be allowed and yearly maintenance to keep it out is needed. Herbicides will help as long as you are licensed for hire. If you are a homeowner doing it for your own pleasure then go a head and do your own property.

The ivy is in a wooded area in the backyard of one of my clients. The area is about 8ft by 10ft and there is a large tree and other bushes surrounding the ivy. The ivy is also around the tree and bushes. It is very overgrown with other weeds and poison ivy as well. There is a wooden bench buried in the ivy according to the customer. I don't think I could roto till it because of the tree roots. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the info Think Green!
Posted via Mobile Device

PerfectEarth
05-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Elbow grease. That is not a very big area. You could have it pulled out in an hour. I have yanked so much groundcover this year, it's becoming ordinary.

Do NOT run a tiller thru it....that'll just make a mess and additional work. Start at one spot and begin the process- yank, pull, maybe use a steel spade or a sod knife (long handled tool) to help you strip it. You're just gonna have to go to work on it by hand. Again, that area should not take long.

letzgoblues
05-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Won't that just leave the roots in the ground and then the ivy will return in a couple weeks? Thanks for the suggestion.
Posted via Mobile Device

letzgoblues
05-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Stevegotcrabgrass
05-14-2010, 03:48 PM
I've done a ton of these.....bobcat down 4-6 inches. Bring in new topsoil and make a lawn. The grass will supress anything that might try to come up..if you do see anything left...pull it before it becomes a problem...I wouldn't waste time or money on herbicide...you can pour it straight on and sometimes it does nothing....

letzgoblues
05-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Can't get a bobcat in the yard.
Posted via Mobile Device

Firefighter337
05-14-2010, 07:58 PM
How about a Dingo?

PerfectEarth
05-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Bobcat?? Dingo????? The area is 8x10!!!!!

Start pulling. You can get 90% of it out. Explain to the customer that you can get that much out but some might pop up...and then that can be pulled. This isn't rocket science.

As you pull, you will find the central roots. Focus on digging them out.

letzgoblues
05-14-2010, 09:54 PM
will do sounds simple just wanted to do it right since its a new client and I'm a newbie. I appreciate everyone's feedback. Now here is a question that can be debated what do you guys charge? I have been charging an hourly rate of $35 an hour. I think it works best because I never under bid a job and I have been getting a lot of business where I get hired for 2 hours or 1 and a half hours. This way the client really can see how much gets done. Feedback???
Posted via Mobile Device

PerfectEarth
05-14-2010, 10:11 PM
Your charge is your deal. Estimate time, do hourly, voila.

Andre's Lawn Care
05-17-2010, 09:37 PM
what kind of ivy is it?

ArvanBrosLandcare
05-21-2010, 02:44 PM
ivy will gnerally roll up into a nice ball to haul out, imagine it like you're rolling a rug or something, just go along one edge ripping out roots 1-2 ft in, then try and roll it over on top of the existing ivy exposing the roots for the next 1-2ft section, pull roots, and roll, continue as needed:)

letzgoblues
05-21-2010, 02:51 PM
what kind of ivy is it?

Not sure
Posted via Mobile Device

letzgoblues
05-21-2010, 02:52 PM
ivy will gnerally roll up into a nice ball to haul out, imagine it like you're rolling a rug or something, just go along one edge ripping out roots 1-2 ft in, then try and roll it over on top of the existing ivy exposing the roots for the next 1-2ft section, pull roots, and roll, continue as needed:)

Thank you! I have never heard of that method. I will give it a try.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnlandscape
05-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Roundup! :)

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-21-2010, 08:45 PM
i just did alot bigger area than that of ground Ivy mixed w/ poison ivy like u said. Ivy usually NEEDS to be hand-pulled like stated above. Also using a broadleaf herbicide for spot treating works well too in some cases.(u need to reseed after tho if in lawn area). Ivy usually comes into lawns that are thin and poorly cared for(no fertilizing or water).u should be able to yank mostly all of the root systems out and spot treat the area if needed

letzgoblues
05-21-2010, 09:05 PM
It is very thick and not in the yard. It is in a wooded area with poison ivy and other weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device

TSB group
05-21-2010, 10:16 PM
$35 an hour? Raise your rates bro! Way too low!

letzgoblues
05-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Where do you live and what do charge??
Posted via Mobile Device

letzgoblues
05-21-2010, 10:42 PM

What do you charge? I have no overhead since I am solo and work at my own pace! This is not cali! Let me know.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnlandscape
05-22-2010, 08:05 PM

I agree. $50 per hour + materials used.

whosedog
05-22-2010, 08:35 PM
I've got English Ivy growing in a row of bushes by my house and pull out handfuls every year but can't get rid of it.I guess the only way to eliminate it would be to remove the bushes,and dig it all out.I know it can damage your house and is not native to the US,I guess we can thank the the same folk who wanted starlings and english sparrows in the US.The only thing worse is poison ivy,but I read that some people can itch from handling English Ivy as well .Agent Orange or napalm should work well on it.

lawnlandscape
05-23-2010, 09:15 AM
I've got English Ivy growing in a row of bushes by my house and pull out handfuls every year but can't get rid of it.I guess the only way to eliminate it would be to remove the bushes,and dig it all out.I know it can damage your house and is not native to the US,I guess we can thank the the same folk who wanted starlings and english sparrows in the US.The only thing worse is poison ivy,but I read that some people can itch from handling English Ivy as well .Agent Orange or napalm should work well on it.

Every year I treat hundreds of lawns with Ground Ivy (Cheaping Charlie), and have no problem killing it. I use 4 speed to kill it, and hit it 3 times - 7-10 days apart.

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Every year I treat hundreds of lawns with Ground Ivy (Cheaping Charlie), and have no problem killing it. I use 4 speed to kill it, and hit it 3 times - 7-10 days apart.

exactly. like i said...a broadleaf herbicide WILL get rid of it. ive done a couple jobs already this year with ground ivy. one in a lawn area and another was a large patch in a backyard without grass. the one w/out grass was harder to kill believe it or not. it took 3 different treatments to fully get rid of all traces. AND U DEF NEED TO RAISE UR RATES!!!! it doesnt matter if u have no loans, "overhead", or solo op.....ur hurting the industry by lowering our wages. people start to think they can hire joe shmoe down the street for $35/hour instead of getting a professional who charges accordingly. U need to be in the $50/hr range no matter where u live. At least $45 man. Im in cheapo VA and i get $50/hr per man for routine jobs. When i was in MA it was around the $65-75/per hour range. leaf clean-ups and harder work is ALOT extra no matter where u are as well. good luck and dont be afraid to charge what u want. people WILL pay when they need the work done. u cant win em all tho

lawnlandscape
05-23-2010, 10:13 PM
exactly. like i said...a broadleaf herbicide WILL get rid of it. ive done a couple jobs already this year with ground ivy. one in a lawn area and another was a large patch in a backyard without grass. the one w/out grass was harder to kill believe it or not. it took 3 different treatments to fully get rid of all traces. AND U DEF NEED TO RAISE UR RATES!!!! it doesnt matter if u have no loans, "overhead", or solo op.....ur hurting the industry by lowering our wages. people start to think they can hire joe shmoe down the street for $35/hour instead of getting a professional who charges accordingly. U need to be in the $50/hr range no matter where u live. At least $45 man. Im in cheapo VA and i get $50/hr per man for routine jobs. When i was in MA it was around the $65-75/per hour range. leaf clean-ups and harder work is ALOT extra no matter where u are as well. good luck and dont be afraid to charge what u want. people WILL pay when they need the work done. u cant win em all tho

Well for this specialty work. Especially when I'm using chemicals that the normal homeowner could not get their hands on, and when most lawn fert company's would not even make special treatments like this, I shoot for $60-$70 per man hour for this type of work.

letzgoblues
05-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Well for this specialty work. Especially when I'm using chemicals that the normal homeowner could not get their hands on, and when most lawn fert company's would not even make special treatments like this, I shoot for $60-$70 per man hour for this type of work.

I guess I will! There is a lot of cheap competition here in St. Louis. I don't have a license for chemicals and most of the work is clean ups,trimming,etc. I had no idea what to charge but I will raise them. Anyone from the st louis area have input on what they charge?
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnlandscape
05-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Get certified, and get some more knowledge. Then you can justify charging more. :)

Stevegotcrabgrass
05-26-2010, 03:25 PM
$350+tax. for ripping out an 8x10 area of ENGLISH IVY. 1 guy about 3 hours haulin.....if it is a true 8x10 with english ivy?

letzgoblues
05-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Yes! You charge 100 plus an hour?
Posted via Mobile Device

jnt412
05-27-2010, 03:34 PM
That Ivy is tough stuff. We encountered a backyard with a bad Ivy problem. I used an older Walkbehind for brush that ate thru it. Being careful of the leaves under it as well. Once that was done we tillered and put down some weednfeed to discourage growth. Then seeded in the fall after a tree company trimmed a few trees due to a shade problem..