PDA

View Full Version : Walker advice and opinions PLEASE

adonovan
07-09-2002, 09:59 PM
I'm going to buy a Walker in the near future and don't know whether to go w/ the 20 Kohler or the 26? Also, what about the heavier duty gear box upgrade? Lastly, what do you think a fair price would be for a demo model w/ 120 hrs.? Walker experience appreciated. Thanks

Mowingman
07-09-2002, 10:47 PM
I have a Walker MT20 GHS with an extra mulching deck. Both decks are 42" and the 20hp Kohler handles them ok. I would hesitate to run any of the bigger decks with this engine, except maybe the side discharge ones. I would go with the 26 if you plan on using any of the bigger decks. Don't know about the price, but I know Walkers hold their value real well around here.:)

gene gls
07-09-2002, 11:03 PM
adonovan:

As far as 20HP or 26EFI it would depend on your deck choice and the types of properties you will be mowing. I have the 20HP and run a 62" deck on some properties and it cuts fine. I would want the 26EFI if I was using the 62" deck all the time. The EFI is more efficent and better running than the 20HP.

The HEAVY DUTY GEAR BOX is an $800.00 up-grade and well worth the cost. Its warrenteed for 1 year. The gear boxes fail very easy when hitting objects.

I would also recommend getting the hydrolic dump cyclinder for the 9.5 hopper. Its too heavy most of the time to manualy dump.

As far as demo price. That would depend on how bad the dealer wants to move that unit. One thing to consider when buying a demo unit is, has the dealer been present at every demo or does he just let the customer take the unit and use it as they feel like. In my area a distrubitor rep personally brings a Walker unit for you to demo and shows you how to use it . A unit with 120 hours sounds more like a lonner unit that the dealer is looking to move. The most hours I have seen on a demo unit was 25.

Good Luck......
Gene

southside
07-10-2002, 09:12 AM
I have the 26 efi and I'm very happy with it.750 hours with minimal problems.Very strong and torquey. Probably use the same or less fuel than the 20 hp.

Definately go with the heavy duty gearbox option.The standard
gearboxes can be rather fragile.

MOW ED
07-10-2002, 05:49 PM
Spend the extra on the 26 and the gearbox. The 26 is a great motor and Karl is right on on fuel usage plus the extra power will run any and all attatchments and decks that Walker has.
I have a GHS w/42 and 52sd doubles. I love the mower.

adonovan
07-14-2002, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming if you know about Walkers.

theplantdoctor
07-14-2002, 11:06 PM
Have you concidered the Diesel? It may be a little more but it will pay back in the long run. Lots of power and A LOT MORE efficient on fuel than the gassers. I concidered a 26 EFI after all the glowing reports here, but in the end, stayed with the diesels.

JMHO,

Ken

:)

Brickman
07-14-2002, 11:23 PM
Go with as much HP as you can afford. Cutting heavy with my 52" SD will work the 25 HP pretty good. Dunno about the gear boxes. Hired guys have hit some pretty solid stuff and never hurt mine.

Where in NE are you located? I might be able to find you a used one for reasonable if you don't have a good dealer close. I lined a guy up with one that was from OR, he wasn't having any luck out there.

Diesels are a good plan if you plan on using one for a lot of years. Simply the fact that they are liquid cooled will make them last longer than air cooled.

hoagie
07-15-2002, 12:02 AM
Its my understanding that the diesel has been discontinued as of 2002 models due to low demand, w/ a new liquid cooled kohler 25hp gas replacement. Old 25hp air cooled discontinued also. I'm hoping one of these days Kohler comes out w/ a 26-28hp Liquid cooled efi model... that would be cool.

Go 26efi... and the new gearbox looks and sounds awesome (no more whine) I almost cant wait for my old gearbox to break so I can upgrade to one!

Oh yeah, on the demo issue.... a couple of years ago, I demoed one while working for another LCO. We had it for a few days during fall clean-up and we beat the hell out of it, to get a good idea if it would hold up to some good abuse. I would not buy a demo just to save a few bucks. Better to have piece of mind w/ a new one...

theplantdoctor
07-15-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by hoagie
Its my understanding that the diesel has been discontinued as of 2002 models due to low demand, w/ a new liquid cooled kohler 25hp gas replacement.

:confused:

Don't know where you heard that, but diesels seem to be INCREASING in demand here in Canada. My distributor (not dealer) says that he has been importing many more diesels over the last couple of years. People are becoming more interested in buying the diesels over gas. The 20hp has been slowing down in favor of the 26efi. If you read WalkerTalk, you will see that the rest of the world runs diesels over gas, especially because of the price difference for fuel.

I have no problem with running the Walker for a long time. Our oldest machine is a 93. It runs hard all day, every day, and is showing no sign of giving up (knock on wood).

Ken