PDA

View Full Version : Tombstones?

crhoades68
05-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Anyone out there do cemetery lawn maintenance?

If so, do you string trim around the tombstones or use a chemical application?

I am maintaining 5 abandoned cemeteries (no new customers ;-)) and have to be very careful using a string trimmer around the old and often brittle tombstones. I would like to know if there is any chemical application that would be safe for the tombstones (won't discolor/stain or break down the stones themselves).

Thanks!

beegreenlandcare
05-13-2010, 02:00 PM
We've done cemetaries ever since we started out. This year we have 2 rather large ones. ...man they're rough on equipment.
But, anywho, we've always string trimmed the headstones. The ones we have are operational and neither one will pitch for chemicals to even control broadleaf weeds. :confused: So, I had a thought to use a plant growth regulator. That way, at least a few trimmings could be skipped thru the season, thereby saving labor. problem is I'm never got as far as investigating the staining issue. Also, I don't don't know if that be a possability for u as u didn't say if your certified/licensed to apply pesticides or not.

1idejim
05-15-2010, 12:18 AM

I am maintaining 5 abandoned cemeteries (no new customers ;-)) and have to be very careful using a string trimmer around the old and often brittle tombstones. I would like to know if there is any chemical application that would be safe for the tombstones (won't discolor/stain or break down the stones themselves).

Thanks!

i hate to just butt in but, you can make a heavy plastic gaurd to protect the monuments and trim right to them. our district does. :)

mowslot54
05-16-2010, 10:45 PM

Thanks!

i work part time out at a cemetery and have to weedeat around all the tombestones. honestly i just think it would be easier to trim them rather than spray..you can knock them out pretty fast. the only thing bad about trimming is that when people leave all the fake flowers and all the other crap..trimming turns into a hassle. either have to pull it out then trim..or just do your best not to hit it.

slawn
05-16-2010, 11:25 PM
I mow four cemeteries and trim around all headstones. I have seen one before that had been sprayed around the headstones, and it looked really bad.

crhoades68
05-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks for your feedback. I figured there wasn't any good alternative to trimming.

SIWEL
05-17-2010, 03:29 PM
I have always just trimmed around each headstone. It is very labor intensive but it gets the job done. I agree that chemical applications around headstones do look very bad.