PDA

View Full Version : Pull behind Core Plugger

Larry Overcash
05-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Do any of you guys use a pull behind core plugger? I'm thinking of buying one and was wondering if they work good, or if they are junk. In the past i have just rented a walk behind, but they are pricey and take to long. Give me some input on what you guys are using and what brands. Thanks for any input...

Hoy landscaping
05-13-2010, 07:17 PM
if you have a ton of weight those sears or HD/lowes ones work ok

Richard Martin
05-13-2010, 07:35 PM
I've been using one of the cheapie aerators for years. They work just as good as a commercial aerator. They're just not as heavy and won't take the abuse a commercial unit would. The amount of weight you need to put in them all depends on how hard your soil is. I usually use 2 standard cinder blocks in my 36" pull behind.

Hoy landscaping
05-13-2010, 07:50 PM
i had a 48". i poured concrete in the holes of the cinder block. made it real heavy. a ztr sucks for towing and should not be used for aerating.

sdk1959
05-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Do any of you guys use a pull behind core plugger? I'm thinking of buying one and was wondering if they work good, or if they are junk. In the past i have just rented a walk behind, but they are pricey and take to long. Give me some input on what you guys are using and what brands. Thanks for any input...

If you want a better quality residential or a commercial tow behind aerator check out this link below to Pro-Aire core aerators.

http://www.turf-aire.com/proaire.html

Larry Overcash
05-13-2010, 08:45 PM
If you want a better quality residential or a commercial tow behind aerator check out this link below to Pro-Aire core aerators.

http://www.turf-aire.com/proaire.html

That would be what i need, but it's a little high priced for me right now. I don't want one of the cheap one's like from Lowes or anything. I'll save my pennies for a while longer. Thanks...

topsites
05-13-2010, 08:45 PM
A tow-behind aerator will NEVER do as good a job as a walk behind.

cutbetterthanyou
05-13-2010, 08:58 PM

Not arguing, but why? Don't they both do the same thing.

Richard Martin
05-14-2010, 05:26 AM

Why does a walk behind do a better job? I use a pull behind. It pulls plugs and leaves them all over the place. Is it the aerator spoons? Most companies use the exact same spoons regardless of which aerator they're in. I can aerate circles around a walk behind.

a ztr sucks for towing and should not be used for aerating.

Why is that? I've been towing aerators behind 2 different Dixie Choppers for 10 years now. They do a fine job of it.

Larry Overcash
05-14-2010, 07:51 AM
I've used both also, one is not better than the other as far as the actual plugging goes.

The mayor
05-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Why does a walk behind do a better job? I use a pull behind. It pulls plugs and leaves them all over the place. Is it the aerator spoons? Most companies use the exact same spoons regardless of which aerator they're in. I can aerate circles around a walk behind.

Why is that? I've been towing aerators behind 2 different Dixie Choppers for 10 years now. They do a fine job of it.

That's dixie chopper. I think they have a higher towing capacity than most or all ztrs

jsw2008
05-14-2010, 08:43 AM
i've used a 48" home depot pull behind with 4 cinder blocks on it. works fine, just hard to get into all areas of the yards. thats where a walk behind has the advantage.

thom
05-14-2010, 09:29 AM

I use a Swisher 48" pull behind plug aerator.I pull it with my hustler
ztr.I contructed 4 wood boxes to set on the platform.each box is filled with 45# of dry sand.this set up works very well for me.

Rock Solid
05-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Check out the unit by PLUGR, it can be towed or mounted on a 3 point.

Clonts Landscaping
05-14-2010, 05:06 PM
A walkbehind plugger is going to have has more tines per ft. I have never seen a pull behind do the same job as a walkbehind.

tobylou8
09-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Not arguing, but why? Don't they both do the same thing.

Topsites is a walk behind snob. Fashions himself a "purist". To answer your ?, yes they do the same thing. WB's go deeper, PB's cover ground faster. You can do an 8-10 k lawn in 10min with a PB 3X's!!

tobylou8
09-16-2010, 10:16 AM
i had a 48". i poured concrete in the holes of the cinder block. made it real heavy. a ztr sucks for towing and should not be used for aerating.

Then you have the wrong ZTR :laugh:

dsittler
09-16-2010, 10:33 AM
I was lucky enough to find a used Bluebird tow behind aerator in perfect shape with the weight containers that you fill with water. I put 3 of them on top and can get 2-3" plugs no problem. It uses the same plug tines as the walk behind models. It works very well and and you can do alot of lawn in a very short time. Mine weighs 180lbs before the weights so they are very heavy duty and well made like other Bluebird products. They have them listed on their website and I believe they are worth the extra money if you intend on using it regularly and want it too last.

Derek :canadaflag:

Kennedy Landscaping
09-16-2010, 11:21 AM

I'm with you man, I towed one the other day with my ProStance and it did just fine. It was a heck of a lot more conventient than a tractor thats for sure. Much easier to go around obstacles and things of that nature.

Runner
09-16-2010, 11:48 AM
I've been pulling an aerator with a Z (Lazer) for years, and it does just fine. I do like it better than a tractor, as it is much more maneuverable, especially for backing up it tight places. I also have to highly disagree with the statement that pull behind aerator don't aerate as well as walk behinds. Mine rocks (Turfvent). I definitely cover alot more area fsater with it, it pulls great plugs, and ind it pulls several. I can tell you one thing, when you are just riding and pulling, it is a whooolle different operation than walking. It almost makes you question how much you are charging.

Birchwood
10-12-2010, 06:35 PM
What do you think about pulling it behind a walk behind mower, I have a velke for the back and I figure I can modify a hitch. And figure out some sort of platform to stand on. What do you think? Too much for the trans, it is a gear drive.

scoop
10-12-2010, 07:55 PM
I know it isn't for the pros and it may get a few laughs, but I bought one of these to use on my own lawn and it works fine. I used 4 cinder blocks and it pulled out about 2 1/2" plugs. I aerated one day after a good rain and was happy with the results.

deerex
10-12-2010, 08:33 PM
http://www.turfvent.com./ I have the series two core plug unit the 3rd one down on the turfvent page. I beefed up the unit with extra support here and there. I put around 375# on it when I use it and that sucker will pull 2 inch plugs if the ground has some moisture. I also pull with ztr JD 757 and it pulls awesome. I can't think what would be better for pulling it. The unit is not great for small lawns but is great for larger properties. I think the faster you pull it the deeper the plugs. I am sure at some speeds that last statement would not hold true but from 0 to 9 mph the faster the better.

Richard Martin
10-12-2010, 10:16 PM
I know it isn't for the pros and it may get a few laughs, but I bought one of these to use on my own lawn and it works fine. I used 4 cinder blocks and it pulled out about 2 1/2" plugs. I aerated one day after a good rain and was happy with the results.

That's the same basic one I use. My Brinly-Hardy appears to have more spoons though. I don't have enough demand for aeration service. I've tried to sell aerations but no one is buying.

Davislawnservices
10-12-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm using a JD 48" tow unit behind a L108....It is difficult to mqnuever at times-but as far as the aerator It works perfect ...in fact I can't keep up with all the people wanting theirs done, working nights and weekends to keep up...
Posted via Mobile Device

yardatwork
10-12-2010, 10:55 PM
I just bought a pull behind. Put a hitch on my Toro Z450 and with one yard...it's been paid for. The home owner is my friend and he told me what one of the big lawn spraying companies bid his lawn at. So...I took $50 off from that price and with my ztr...took me an hour. I feel like I'm raking this guy over the coals at the price I'm charging, but it's still cheaper than what he was going to pay. Walk behinds take too long and they do the same job...IMO. If you already have a tractor or ztr...go with a pull behind.

tobylou8
10-13-2010, 12:01 AM
What do you think about pulling it behind a walk behind mower, I have a velke for the back and I figure I can modify a hitch. And figure out some sort of platform to stand on. What do you think? Too much for the trans, it is a gear drive.

In a word, dangerous. You will not be able to stand but have to sit. Local company made some a few years ago and took them to a trade show. Sold NONE. There was no suspension, so every rock, hole, and root you hit goes straight to you body. It will also wear out your transmission prematurely.

topsites
10-13-2010, 02:38 AM
All...

Read: THIS IS WHAT I TELL ANY OF MY CUSTOMERS WHO ASK!
ALL PULL BEHIND PLUGGERS SUCK!
And ALL LCO's using these to "core aerate" are ripping the customer OFF!
If you are PAYING someone to use one of these, you are paying for a half-ass job half done!

Then I go on to explain why, and every year I get more, and more aeration customers.
Once they switch to me, they NEVER EVER go back!

So please, I beg of you, please pretty please continue to use Pull-behind pluggers!!!

topsites
10-13-2010, 02:51 AM

That thing is the biggest POS I have ever seen in my whole life, the rest are not that far behind.

A walkbehind plugger is going to have has more tines per ft.
I have never seen a pull behind do the same job as a walkbehind.

Thank you, I could add that's just for starters but at least somebody gets it.

Richard Martin
10-13-2010, 05:05 AM
All...

Read: THIS IS WHAT I TELL ANY OF MY CUSTOMERS WHO ASK!
ALL PULL BEHIND PLUGGERS SUCK!
And ALL LCO's using these to "core aerate" are ripping the customer OFF!
If you are PAYING someone to use one of these, you are paying for a half-ass job half done!

Then I go on to explain why, and every year I get more, and more aeration customers.
Once they switch to me, they NEVER EVER go back!

So please, I beg of you, please pretty please continue to use Pull-behind pluggers!!!

That thing is the biggest POS I have ever seen in my whole life, the rest are not that far behind.

A walkbehind plugger is going to have has more tines per ft. I have never seen a pull behind do the same job as a walkbehind.

Thank you, I could add that's just for starters but at least somebody gets it.

So your whole contention is that I can't do as good a job because my aerator doesn't have as many tines? Give me a break. I can easily pull more plugs than a walkbehind in less time. I've been doing this a long time too.

yardatwork
10-13-2010, 07:00 AM
So your whole contention is that I can't do as good a job because my aerator doesn't have as many tines? Give me a break. I can easily pull more plugs than a walkbehind in less time. I've been doing this a long time too.

I AGREE! I was pulling out two inch plugs...so a two inch walk behind plug, to me, is the same as a pull behind two inch plug. Not sure how a walk behind two inch plug is any better...just saying!!!

tobylou8
10-13-2010, 07:51 AM
You cannot argue with topsites. He/she is not a reasonable person. It's like trying to talk sense in the organic forum. Their mind is made up regardless of the logic and proof you lay before them. The MAIN purpose for aeration is to relieve soil compaction in the top layer of the soil. The ground does not care what mechanical practice you use or what type of equipment is employed. Topsites is probably upset because of all the extra money that had to be spent on a walk behind unit vs. a pull behind. I use a WB in small lawns and lawns that have narrow gates. Topsites believes whole heatedly what the salesman told him about aerating.

scoop
10-13-2010, 08:06 AM

You can call it what you want. It works just fine for what I need. I'm sure you own the best one out there because you are a professional. But this is just for my own lawn and I'm very happy with it.

hackitdown
10-13-2010, 08:08 AM
I live in the land of large lawns. So I have been towing a Turfvent with a 52" Lazer for a couple of years. Before that I rented a Bluebird tow behind for 3 years, pulling it with my Lazer. No problem towing with the ZTR. The Bluebird is way better made. Lesco also sells a tow behind that can be towed with a mower or used with a 3 pt hitch. The Lesco unit is a tank.

This year I rented an $8000 Lawn Solutions ride on aerator as a test. I was able to aerate 3X the amount of lawns in a day over the tow behind. For reference, I can do double the lawns with a tow behind over a walk behind.

I asked my friend/customer/ex-landscaper if he could tell any difference in aeration plug quality between the Lawn Solutions and the tow-behind, and he could not tell the difference. I can't see any difference either. Last year I had one customer complain about tow behind plugs that were not deep enough, but he is a complainer in general.

So the difference is in productivity. The Lawn Solutions machine was so much faster than anything else, that it is in a class by itself. But you cannot beat a tow behind for the best bang for the buck.

unit28
10-13-2010, 08:20 AM
you're all using poor equipment

golfing shoes make more holes pr sq inch
and I can get it done quicker when I use my
tiller to tow me around.
It always draws the neighbors out for a look-see.

Y'all Think I'm playin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U4523Cfs6A&feature=related

Darryl G
10-13-2010, 08:22 AM
I sometimes rent the Classen tow behind unit which I believe is the same as the Lesco one. I tow it behind my Lazer Z HP. It does fine with plenty of weight on it but it's not the most maneuverable rig in the world. You have to make pretty wide sweeping turns and it's kind of a pain to have to get off manually raise each side to cross pavement etc. If I were to buy a tow behind, I'd look for one with an electric lift on it.

tobylou8
10-13-2010, 10:26 AM
I sometimes rent the Classen tow behind unit which I believe is the same as the Lesco one. I tow it behind my Lazer Z HP. It does fine with plenty of weight on it but it's not the most maneuverable rig in the world. You have to make pretty wide sweeping turns and it's kind of a pain to have to get off manually raise each side to cross pavement etc. If I were to buy a tow behind, I'd look for one with an electric lift on it.

Just drive S-L-O-W-L-Y and you don't have to get up so often. :laugh:

tobylou8
10-13-2010, 10:27 AM
you're all using poor equipment

golfing shoes make more holes pr sq inch
and I can get it done quicker when I use my
tiller to tow me around.
It always draws the neighbors out for a look-see.

Y'all Think I'm playin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U4523Cfs6A&feature=related

How big a plug does it pull? :laughing::laughing:

G. Ramey
10-13-2010, 11:03 AM
I have always rented a pullbehind,but last year I had a customer insist on a walkbehind. The yard is not flat and half the time we had to wrestle that thing up hill. I spent three times as much time in that yard as I would have with a pull behind and I couldn't tell any difference. This year my helper called in sick on the day I was going to use that walkbehind. I rented the pullbehind and used it anyway and pulled three inch plugs in the customers yard. He was happy with the results so next year I,ll do his yard with the pull behind. I pull it with a polaris ranger because none of my yards I aerate are flat or small. I used my ztr a few times a couple of years ago, but I didn't like the wear and tear on the mower because of the hills.

Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care
10-14-2010, 01:28 AM
Yes, a pull behind works great. I use a BlueBird with the water jugs and pull it with my JD L108. Like one of the other guys said; "Makes me second guess how much I'm charging". Make alot of money with this set up. Every spring the new green grass looks great and the customers are happy. So, don't let the nit-picking on here get you down. Go rent a BlueBird from Home Depot or United Rentals for 50 bucks a day and see if you like it. Good Luck