PDA

View Full Version : Mowing in the rain...

gonemowin1
05-13-2010, 07:14 PM
I know a lot of you on here mow in the rain and my question is this: what do you do about the grass stains/marks left on the sidewalks from the mower tires? I realize you try to minimize crossing walks as much as possible but what do you do where you can't?

Charles
05-13-2010, 07:35 PM
I have never done it before but you could bring some plastic to ride over.

mcw615
05-13-2010, 07:36 PM
I know a lot of you on here mow in the rain and my question is this: what do you do about the grass stains/marks left on the sidewalks from the mower tires? I realize you try to minimize crossing walks as much as possible but what do you do where you can't?

(1) hand sprayer with Purple Power.
- Apply product to tire over asphalt.
(1) hand sprayer with water.
- Apply water to rinse off product.

jrush
05-13-2010, 07:38 PM
I tried to beat the rain a few days ago, I got 1/2 way thru and the gates of hell opened up and dumped right on me (naturally) on top of sucking something fierce, the wet grass stuck to everything it came in contact with, the house, fence, driveways, sidewalks, etc.. it blows off very little if at all and I went home after 1 damn house. Complete waste of time and gas and the lawn looked like crap. I see a ton of guys out in the rain, and maybe I should also because I am backed up like crazy and they are calling for more tomorrow but I just don't like the way it looks when finished. And that Scag is damn heavy so it likes to leave tire marks and dig up grass. On the other hand I would be b!t*h!ng if it didn't rain and nothing was growing.

EvenCutLawnCare
05-13-2010, 07:39 PM
It seems to me that when you blow wet grass off of a WET widewalk you can do an extremely good job of getting the sidewalk spotless provided you take extra time and have a large enough blower. However, blowing wet grass off a dry sidewalk can pose a bigger problem and the only thing you can do to help is not drive over the grass on the sidewalk.

yardguy28
05-13-2010, 07:57 PM
i have definitly found that blowing grass off wet pavement does clean up extremely well but with extra time.

on the rain note....i'm curious.....how many people mow in the rain, how many wait until it stops raining and how long do the ones that wait for it to stop raining wait after it has actually stopped raining???

i struggle with how long to wait for things to dry up every time it rains. i normally don't mow in the rain unless i'm already on a job when it starts. then i will finish up. but i struggle when to go out after it has rained. i try to wait as long as i can but like everyone else i don't like to be extremely behind. when it rains multipul days out of week being solo that creates a problem. i can handle a day of rain and being behind a day but when i get 2 or more days behind.........

Knight511
05-13-2010, 08:57 PM
I am a smaller outfit, so I can be more flexible... but I don't mow int he rain/wet. The fresh cut ends open the plant up to fungal problems... and none... I mean NONE of my customers in 13 years have ever argued with the practice... most are happy I won't mow in the rain and leave ruts/damage grass/etc... :)

topsites
05-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Same here, what don't get done today, there's always mañana.

coxslawncare
05-13-2010, 09:05 PM
I mow in a light to normal rain but if it gets to heavy I wait it out. As long as I can mow and not damae the yard I am out there.

ajslands
05-13-2010, 09:10 PM
I have only started in the rain once. (last Friday), but if it starts coming down while I am mowing, I will still mow, even in lightning, but only on residentials
Posted via Mobile Device

Knight511
05-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Lightning? Too much danger... I wouldn't put myself at risk by mowing in a thunderstorm and I sure as HELL would never put an employee at risk... too much liability.

ewemule
05-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Just a drizzle to start, then a light rain. Decided to finish as I was half done. Turned out okay, but the deck belt started slipping. My "people" don't show up for another 1-3 weeks.
Always tomorrow.
Marty

ajslands
05-13-2010, 09:38 PM
I am a one man show most of the time and when I am mowing in heavy rain or lightning, my guy goes and sites in my trailer (enclosed) and waits it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

LwnmwrMan22
05-13-2010, 09:44 PM
gonemowin -

Where are you at in MN?? We're up by Forest Lake. I've been mowing all week, but today we stopped at noon. That thundershower that came through was just too much.

Then when the rain stopped I went back out at 1:30 and mowed until 5.

We should still be on schedule (for the most part) tomorrow afternoon.

Anyways, back to your question.

You need a backpack blower and just take your time in getting the grass off.

Make sure you don't drive on the grass on the sidewalk.

Eventually, it'll come off anyways, within a week or two.

South Florida Lawns
05-13-2010, 09:49 PM

u should never mow in the rain u could melt, but if you get caught in it and make a mess chances are the rain (which is water) that falls from the sky will clean the pavement for you.

Keep in mind this is all just my theory.

clydebusa
05-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Mowed in the rain today in Tulsa OK. I wait out the heavy ran and mow in the light rain. As for cleaning the drives or sidewalk, I just blow the heck out of it. I use my 36 toro WB and skip the ztr because of the weight. This and sometimes I raise the mower just a bit to keep it from clumping. This means I will be back in a few days.

STIHL GUY
05-13-2010, 10:40 PM
ill finish a lawn if it starts raining but i dont try to mow in th rain

gonemowin1
05-13-2010, 11:12 PM
lwnmwrMan22- i am down in Red Wing. Some of those downpours were killers!

As most of you suggested I avoid mowing in the rain as much as possible but... sometimes it's inevitable that you have to. So other than avoidance, when you track onto sidewalks, especially as they are starting to get dry and the lawns are still wet, are you just blowing it off as well as possible and moving on or does anybody do anything special. And for those of you that regularly mow in the rain and track onto walks do your clients complain?

GreenHammer
05-14-2010, 01:26 AM
Mowing in the rain comes with the territory. I think a freshly cut lawn looks damn good especially in the rain. Mowing in Oregon is mowing in the rain and the grass continues to growing!

unkownfl
05-14-2010, 01:33 AM
In the summer here its easy to get caught in the rain but I just leave. Its not worth it and it dries up in like 20 mins after the rain here unless it rains all day and night. I watch the forecast its pretty good to be honest around here. I also have the weather channel ap on my iPhone and it keeps me dry.

Grass Shark
05-14-2010, 02:10 AM
I am going to start a poll on this, as I am very interested in the outcome

JoeHop6299
05-14-2010, 02:24 AM
I always make the outside cut beside the side walk and try like hell to turn in my cut.

But if you do stain it, purple power and a tire bush will get it up.

Knight511
05-14-2010, 12:53 PM
I always make the outside cut beside the side walk and try like hell to turn in my cut.

This. Make an outside pass with the wheels several inches onto the sidewalk (no grass on them keep the side walk clean), then make a second pass around the border.... then "color" inside the lines.... keeps the sidewalks MUCH cleaner.

Darryl G
05-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Mowing in the rain is so much fun that I wait until it rains to do my mowing.

albhb3
05-14-2010, 05:17 PM
we dont and now we get to work tommarrow as well as today. We didnt have to work 1 weekend all of last year and we havent had to work a friday until today. Gotta love a strict 40 hour work week lol

highlander316
05-14-2010, 05:39 PM
for the sidewalks, pick up a deck scrubber brush (long handle, short nylon bristles; went through three different hardware stores till I found one in Home Depot). It's easiest if you have a BP blower with the throttle on the tube, cuz you can quickly 'scrub' the tire marks as you're blowing. Works great. It'll get the majority of the junk off.

freshprince94
05-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Definitely if I am in the middle of a lawn and need to finish, and I have no problem mowing in light or moderate rain. I won't mow in bad lightning or heavy rains, but in Florida the ground is always wet during the summers anyways so we deal with it. Blowing off wet grass is a PITA but the BR 600 can usually handle it pretty well.

John deer Z
05-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Every time I have mowed in the rain and come back to mow during dry weather There are some serious tire tracks and dead grass:dizzy: There for I will not mow in the rain unless I have already started. I think it does more damage to the grass than it is worth. Do you guys not have a problem with tire tracks after it has dried?

clydebusa
05-14-2010, 07:00 PM
I won't run my ZTR I go with my 36" toro or 21". I have problems with trenches if it too wet. Haven't had the dead grass problem though.

hoylebros
05-14-2010, 07:33 PM
I try not to. I will finish the lawn I am on and wait it out after that. As far as wet grass on dry pavement...its defiantly a PITA but I have a BR600 and just get off what I can and move on...no complaints from any of my customers yet.

yardguy28
05-14-2010, 09:14 PM

This. Make an outside pass with the wheels several inches onto the sidewalk (no grass on them keep the side walk clean), then make a second pass around the border.... then "color" inside the lines.... keeps the sidewalks MUCH cleaner.

i always make 2 passes around the permiter before mowing my "lines". so this keeps me off the hardscapes when turning.

but crossing from turf to hardscape or going back to the trailer does cause some green marks on the hardscape. i just remove what the blower will and move on. if it's already raining the rain will wash it off.

Every time I have mowed in the rain and come back to mow during dry weather There are some serious tire tracks and dead grass:dizzy: There for I will not mow in the rain unless I have already started. I think it does more damage to the grass than it is worth. Do you guys not have a problem with tire tracks after it has dried?

i've never had the tire tracks and dead grass after a mow in the rain or very wet turf.

i have a guy who has a serious drainage problem in his backyard. i use the 21 incher and it leaves tire marks and my foot prints all over but when i come the next week they're all gone.

even when i use my grandstand and it makes tire marks while i'm mowing they're usually gone by the next week. i did have the marks dry once and where there the following week but once i cut that time they were gone.

93Chevy
05-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Take the trimmer and grind the wet grass (if the concrete is dry). The trimmer line creates a clean surface that is easier to blow off.

yardguy28
05-14-2010, 11:38 PM
Take the trimmer and grind the wet grass (if the concrete is dry). The trimmer line creates a clean surface that is easier to blow off.

if that isn't a waste a trimmer line i don't know what is........:hammerhead:

93Chevy
05-15-2010, 06:25 AM
if that isn't a waste a trimmer line i don't know what is........:hammerhead:

Better than leaving a property with grass clippings stuck on the sidewalk. I'd rather use trimmer line than get a complaint call.

yardguy28
05-16-2010, 07:10 AM
Better than leaving a property with grass clippings stuck on the sidewalk. I'd rather use trimmer line than get a complaint call.

i never leave grass clippings on the sidewalk. maybe a blade or 2 but i don't want to work for people who expect every last clipping off the hardscapes every single time anyway.

i worked for a person like that once. i ended up taking a stiff bristle push broom with me and found that works excellent in loosening grass that won't come off with a blower.

but i don't work for her anymore and never again will i do something like that or work for someone like that again. whatever the blower gets is good enough.