PDA

View Full Version : AllStar game stripes!

dr grass
07-09-2002, 10:37 PM
Did anyone see the Allstar game? Im watching it right now. Man, are those stripes pretty!! Their all in a triangle shape and they have a huge star mowed into the middle of the outfield. I wonder how they did that? Anywho, it looks sweet.

Shep :cool:

GrassMaster84
07-09-2002, 10:44 PM
Yup I saw them, man are they sweet, I wonder how they made those stripes? They remind me of Sun Rays thats kids use in drawings.

lawnkid
07-09-2002, 10:45 PM
Yeah I was watching the start. That star is really cool. It looks like they did it in 2 different stripes cause of the grass discoloration. Did anyone see Barry Bonds get robbed of that homer. Man he must be pissed. Oh well go A.L.:D

rvsuper
07-09-2002, 11:17 PM
If I remember, they use a broom in the infield to make them stand out more. The guy that writes the book that I read that from does the stripes for the all-star game every year since he has started taking care of Milwaukee stadium. He now keeps Boston.....I think.

Toroguy
07-10-2002, 10:36 PM
I thought of lawnsite right when I saw those stipes.

Tori Hunter robbed Bonds, even in MN Hunter is not well known, he is pretty good.

sirsweatsalot
07-10-2002, 11:52 PM
dang thems are some perdy stripes. they must have done the big star in the out field before every thing else, cuz i can't see it working if they had done it after the stripes... but boy that is some nice work!

Jason_S
07-11-2002, 12:09 AM
Gotta love MILLER PARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sure do, but it is hillarious if you go when it rains because the roof leaks in places!

Our tax money hasn't fully paid this park off yet and it already has leaks!!!!!!!!

Also, they had trouble with the roof after the winter

I do love the mowing there though, I'd love to see them actually mow it! It might be more interesting than a Normal Brewers game!!!!! man are they hurting this year

dgrazdude
07-11-2002, 12:12 AM
RVLI
you mentioned they used a broom to make the stripes deeper in the in field. I have been thinking about a stripe kit that uses something like a broom behind the deck. What about those long thin brushes used for wall papering? What if you mounted them behing the deck with the bristles hanging about an inch lower than the deck. I figure I could cut the ends off 4 or 5 of them so they fit tightly together.
Anyone with any thoughts?
thanks,
dgrazdude

sirsweatsalot
07-11-2002, 12:17 AM
try it might be cool.

Rooster
07-11-2002, 01:14 AM
Title of the book: Picture Perfect
Mowing Techniques for Lawns, Landscapes, and Sports

Author David R. Mellor

Tony Harrell
07-11-2002, 05:29 AM
I'd like to hear from David himself, what about you? So many of us have bought his book and so many of us are working towards that perfect stripe. He'd be a real asset on this board from time to time. He could sponsor a forum on here and sell his book. Maybe the forum owners should consider contacting him if possible.

FrankenScagMachines
07-11-2002, 03:26 PM
A brush should do quite nicely. A good sturdy brush I can think of is a brush they sell at Lowe's for spreading blacktop sealer. They are long and wiry. Could be hard to attach to the mower though. Kinda the same principle as rubber flap, but the effect is better. I have a lawn sweeper trailer that I occasionaly pull behind the mower at my house, it won't pick up anything because the mower side discharges, but it makes the stripes alot better. It has a rotary action so if you set it just right it kinda lifts the grass and then shoves it in the direction you're going. It's better than anything else IMHO, but it's too much pain to drag that thing around everywhere (mainly too hard to turn around). Anyone who makes a striping kit should not make it go an inch above level ground but maybe 1/2" for best striping. It will be alot better than at 1" i'm sure. If you have many gravel drives/paths on propertys that you mow (and go over these drives with the blades on) then i'd not suggest putting a kit of any sort right on the deck but rather behind it as they tend to catch loose gravel and it piles up into the deck and ouch that hurts... property damage and blade damage... not fun. Even a roller does that. So that's one reason to make it alittle higher, but if they're all hard surface drives then make it pretty low so it stripes best.
Happy striping!
Eric