PDA

View Full Version : 1373 hrs on Scag Wild Cat

C.C.L.C.
05-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy my 1st mower and getting started with a small ($1000-$1500 a month) lawn biz. I'm a Firefighter and looking for something to do in order to make a little extra spending change (and grab some good equip for my personal lawn!haha). I found a 52" scag wildcat that a dealer just took in on trade. The dealer has done all the servicing on the mower. He is asking $2800 for it, it has 1373 hrs and appears to be in good shape. Question is... for what I'm looking to do, is this a good piece of equip for me. How many hrs is too many?

Thanks for any info,

Chad

ToroLandscaper
05-14-2010, 12:17 AM
Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy my 1st mower and getting started with a small ($1000-$1500 a month) lawn biz. I'm a Firefighter and looking for something to do in order to make a little extra spending change (and grab some good equip for my personal lawn!haha). I found a 52" scag wildcat that a dealer just took in on trade. The dealer has done all the servicing on the mower. He is asking $2800 for it, it has 1373 hrs and appears to be in good shape. Question is... for what I'm looking to do, is this a good piece of equip for me. How many hrs is too many?

Thanks for any info,

Chad

Sigh unseen it sounds like a good deal. 1400 hours is high, but its not extremely high as long as the machine was maintained. Check it over really well and you should be good to go (check hydros for leaks around seals, listen to the hydros and how the sound, engine oil, hydro oil, listen to blades engage, listen to engine under a "load", etc etc)...

That price sounds very reasonable, especially from a dealer.

topsites
05-14-2010, 02:43 AM
You sure that's not supposed to be L337 hours LOL!

Richard Martin
05-14-2010, 05:34 AM
I don't give advice to people looking for extra change. The majority of us here are professionals and all you will do is drag the pricing down to whatever level it takes in order to put change in your pocket.

MarcSmith
05-14-2010, 07:00 AM
The majority of us here are professionals Come on ricky, that's a strech if Ive ever seen one...:)

I'll echo ricky's sentiments, but being that you are willing to put your azz int he skillet and drag people you don't know from a burning building for what seems to be a pittance in pay..

If those are actual hours its a good deal IMO. you should be able to get 3k hours out that engine/machine combo before it gets tired.

Keep in mind that the hours meters are usually the first thing to break on machines. So you may have more than 1300 hours... and not know it.

Frue
05-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Pull the dip stick check the oil. See how black it is. See if the hour meter is working. Check the deck to see if the blades are beat to death and see how the deck looks. Any dents look for signs of abuse. Now the hydro test take it to a incline preferably cement.
Stop in the middle of the incline push one side slowly forward and see if its smooth or if there is hesitation in it. Same with the other side. Look at the engine is it gunk up with old oil. Since the dealer was exclusive ask to see the repair service. HE WILL HAVE A COPY OF ALL WORK DONE! Its a great price for the machine but something smells a little fishy!