PDA

View Full Version : New guy with an equipment purchase question

biggziff
05-13-2010, 10:05 PM
I just looked at an Exmark Lazer Z HP 23 HP Kohler Command Pro, 52: TriVantage deck, ROPS, 140 hours on it. Other than being a little dirty it looks like new. The owner bought it in the summer of 2008, but doesn't know if it's an 07 or 08.

I have the serial number...is there someone on this forum that can tell me the year from that? Is that even important on one of these?

I'd like some opinions on what is a fair price for this mower. It'll be my first ZTR and I think it'll be fine for my purposes (residential mowing my property...about 3 acres in upstate NY)

Are there any issues or recalls/modifications that I should be aware of on this unit? It has been serviced at the local Exmark dealer according to the recommended schedule.

Thanks in advance!

biggziff
05-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Also meant to ask if these have spin on oil filters for the hydro system? I looked but didn't see any.

thanks

biggziff
05-14-2010, 10:28 AM
I see a bunch of views on this question, but no replies. Is this question something that you regulars consider to be off-limits for some reason? I've noticed many other users posting similar questions that also go unanswered...is there some unwritten rule that I've violated? I had hoped to find some educated opinions here on things like equipment choices/pricing on used stuff, etc, but maybe there is another forum that is better for that kind of question?

Sorry if I've done something wrong...

thanks

mwh350
05-14-2010, 10:55 AM
assuming that he spin on oil filter is under the seat. It is on mine. Look for the hydro oil tank and follow the lines. As far as the year of man. It should also be on the silver tag that you pulled the serial number off of. If not I do believe that you can look that up on Exmarks website. Year isn't as important as hours in my opinion. I have a Lazer Z with over 3000 hours on it. I am on the second engine and have replaced the spindle bearings twice. Other than that it runs like a dream. With only a hundred hours on that machine it is almost brand new. I would consider it a deal to get it for between 5 to 6 K.

biggziff
05-14-2010, 11:02 AM
assuming that he spin on oil filter is under the seat. It is on mine. Look for the hydro oil tank and follow the lines. As far as the year of man. It should also be on the silver tag that you pulled the serial number off of. If not I do believe that you can look that up on Exmarks website. Year isn't as important as hours in my opinion. I have a Lazer Z with over 3000 hours on it. I am on the second engine and have replaced the spindle bearings twice. Other than that it runs like a dream. With only a hundred hours on that machine it is almost brand new. I would consider it a deal to get it for between 5 to 6 K.

Thanks....I did call Exmark and they confirmed that it is an 08 and that the 09 models were redesigned. I'm pretty sure I can get this one for $4000-$4200. Drove it around last night and aside from being dirty (stored outdoors) it looks new. I couldn't make it go straight for more than a few feet, but I guess you get used to that. I like that the engine and exhaust is in the rear as it's quieter than my John Deere tractor.

Looks like I'll go up with cash in hand and see what we can do.

thanks much. :clapping:

MikeKle
05-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Start off with offering him $3200, and work your way up from there, $4K is not bad for the mower you mentioned if it has low hours and is in pretty good shape.

biggziff
05-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Start off with offering him $3200, and work your way up from there, $4K is not bad for the mower you mentioned if it has low hours and is in pretty good shape.

He won't take less than $4K. He bought it locally in July 08 and paid $7500. From what I found online, $4K-$4200 seemed like a good price for a unit with 140 hours on it, but maybe I'm wrong?

Oldtimer
05-16-2010, 06:41 PM
That is a very good price for that unit.

Go to eXmark's web site and download the owners and parts manuals.

Change the hydro filter (it's under the engine deck) with an original filter and refill with eXmark premium hydro oil. Do not use Mobil-1. Charge the hydro filter with oil before installing and it won't take as long to purge the air from the system.

Oldtimer
eXmark dealer since 1994

mwh350
05-17-2010, 12:18 PM
:clapping:I bought the trailer in the first picture from the guy for $2000.

http://sunmtnlumber.com/PICS/Trailer.JPG

The mower cost $3600 and has a little over 10 hours after I ran it for a while.

http://sunmtnlumber.com/PICS/Mower.JPG
http://sunmtnlumber.com/PICS/Mower2.JPG
http://sunmtnlumber.com/PICS/Hours.JPG

As for me Well I would have to say I am pretty happy about both purchases. :clapping:

MikeKle
05-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Nice mower! I really like that trailer with the tall sides and the side gate, that is really nice.

biggziff
05-17-2010, 12:28 PM
MWH350...

What size is that Ezmark? Lazer Z HP or CT?

thanks!

mwh350
05-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Lazer Z HP with the Triton 46 inch deck. Has Kawasaki 19 hp engine

biggziff
05-17-2010, 12:30 PM
I just found a couple low hour Ferris 1500Z mowers. One is a 48" 21HP Kawi and the other is a 28HP Briggs Vanguard 61" cut. I mowed with both and they worked well. Neither one has more than 100 hours. Are these pretty safe to buy?

mwh350
05-17-2010, 12:32 PM
I have never run the ferris line, but you will find advocates of almost all the pro lines on here. Ferris is for sure commercial quality. It would depend on the asking price for the machines. Under 100 hours is very low usage. Where are you from?

biggziff
05-17-2010, 12:35 PM
I have never run the ferris line, but you will find advocates of almost all the pro lines on here. Ferris is for sure commercial quality. It would depend on the asking price for the machines. Under 100 hours is very low usage. Where are you from?

I'm in NY.