PDA

View Full Version : Pole hedge trimmers

mowZ06
05-13-2010, 11:27 PM
What is everyone using ?

1whitetail
05-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Stihl fs 85 Kombi with articulating hedge trimmer.

Robert Pruitt
05-13-2010, 11:48 PM
STIHL for all handhelds

LouisianaLawnboy
05-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Shindaiwa M242 with an attachment.

Alan0354
05-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Shindaiwa M242 with short reach articulate hedge attachment. Retired my Echo HC151.

topsites
05-14-2010, 02:45 AM
Standard Stihl Fs85 string trimmer with the HT attachment.

GardnerLandscaping
05-14-2010, 03:20 AM
kombi standard hedge trimmer attachment. i've seen guys with articulating hedge trimmers who'd rather stand on their toes to get the top of the tall holly rather than stop to articulate. however, there are times when I would stop to articulate but always manage even if i have to get out a ladder or contort to get the right angle in tight spot. you don't need a lot of power to trim hedges though i'm sure a shindaiwa would sound nice -- even with big branches which you don't need lopers or hand saw to cut, it is more about giving it a tap with a blade. the most important things are low weight, good balance, quality of cam and blades, and direction of the exhaust when it comes to hedge trimming (thinking of that old handheld consumer troy-bilt)

Alan0354
05-14-2010, 03:32 AM
I wish Shindaiwa make a 3' extension pole. I am trying to buy the coupler unit and use the shaft from the string trimmer attachment and make an extension. I tried it and it work, problem is I need one more coupler. I can only find all the little parts to build the coupler, not the whole unit. That will cost me $84 to get all the parts to build one. With that I can have the long reach hedge trimmer also. Just today, I can't reach part of the stuff I need to trim without something to stand on.

You don't need a big engine for hedge trimmer. Just today I cut a branch with the M242 that is about 1 1/2". Took me a little while but not slowing the engine down at all.

GardnerLandscaping
05-14-2010, 03:44 AM
I wish Shindaiwa make a 3' extension pole. I am trying to buy the coupler unit and use the shaft from the string trimmer attachment and make an extension. I tried it and it work, problem is I need one more coupler. I can only find all the little parts to build the coupler, not the whole unit. That will cost me $84 to get all the parts to build one. With that I can have the long reach hedge trimmer also. Just today, I can't reach part of the stuff I need to trim without something to stand on.

You don't need a big engine for hedge trimmer. Just today I cut a branch with the M242 that is about 1 1/2". Took me a little while but not slowing the engine down at all.

i think i would prefer a short reach for tight corners. an extension would be nice for deep hedges with articulation for tall hedges.

1.5" would be tough on lopers. i used the razor tooth saw on a 2" branch today. i find the key is to tap it quickly a couple of times at higher throttle so you don't jam the branch in the blades.

Alan0354
05-14-2010, 03:46 AM
i think i would prefer a short reach for tight corners. an extension would be nice for deep hedges with articulation for tall hedges.

that's what I have, a short reach, that's why I am trying to make an extension.

On the side note, the shindaiwa blade sure cuts better than the Echo HC151. Maybe my Echo is the cheapest lower model and it's not the newer chrome blades. Shindaiwa just cut quicker and smoother.

GardnerLandscaping
05-14-2010, 04:35 AM
that's what I have, a short reach, that's why I am trying to make an extension.

On the side note, the shindaiwa blade sure cuts better than the Echo HC151. Maybe my Echo is the cheapest lower model and it's not the newer chrome blades. Shindaiwa just cut quicker and smoother.

i had the opportunity of using a shindaiwa string trimmer for a day filling in for someone when i didn't have many clients. the engine had a very powerful but nice and smooth sound to it.

if the shindaiwa engine and cam delivers more torque at higher throttle, you could be getting a better slice. i tend to cut up to 1/2" branches, but i sometimes have to tap it more than once. if you're getting the torque, you probably don't have to tap and can just slice through them.

i'd trade you my stihl for your short reach shindawai, but you can keep the echo.

Alan0354
05-14-2010, 04:53 AM
i had the opportunity of using a shindaiwa string trimmer for a day filling in for someone when i didn't have many clients. the engine had a very powerful but nice and smooth sound to it.

if the shindaiwa engine and cam delivers more torque at higher throttle, you could be getting a better slice. i tend to cut up to 1/2" branches, but i sometimes have to tap it more than once. if you're getting the torque, you probably don't have to tap and can just slice through them.

i'd trade you my stihl for your short reach shindawai, but you can keep the echo.

What do you mean by tap?

1/2" has never been a problem, of cause it's not a going through butter!!! But it go through 1/2" quite easy. I have no experience with other brand, so I can't say, all I can say is it is better than my little old HC151.

GardnerLandscaping
05-14-2010, 05:28 AM
What do you mean by tap?

1/2" has never been a problem, of cause it's not a going through butter!!! But it go through 1/2" quite easy. I have no experience with other brand, so I can't say, all I can say is it is better than my little old HC151.

i swing the blades quickly into the stem and back out so that it doesn't jam if i don't get a clean slice. i'd imagine i wouldn't have to do that if i had more hp. since hedges are standard service and am usually just touching up, i usually don't have to do that much except when neighbors ask me to do their hedges or when i pick up a new client. 3/8" branches are usually fine with a normal swipe. i rarely encounter wider than 3/8" unless i'm doing hollies for a neighbor or new client and even more rarely bring out the lopers or handsaw for anything bigger, such as those times where a friend did someone's hedges, and they have me redo them because they left big branches sticking out everywhere and a really sloppy cut.

i guess the conclusion is hp does matter if you want to cut stems that are wider than 3/8" ... as always get the most expensive equipment you can afford or justify.

lawnboy dan
05-14-2010, 08:16 AM
this is one of the few sthil products that i actually still use. light weight and decent cut but i am on my 3rd engine on the same unit. -replaced the coils and carbs several times on each engine

mowZ06
05-14-2010, 08:28 AM
does redmax make a comparable unit ?

Alan0354
05-14-2010, 12:26 PM
i swing the blades quickly into the stem and back out so that it doesn't jam if i don't get a clean slice. i'd imagine i wouldn't have to do that if i had more hp. since hedges are standard service and am usually just touching up, i usually don't have to do that much except when neighbors ask me to do their hedges or when i pick up a new client. 3/8" branches are usually fine with a normal swipe. i rarely encounter wider than 3/8" unless i'm doing hollies for a neighbor or new client and even more rarely bring out the lopers or handsaw for anything bigger, such as those times where a friend did someone's hedges, and they have me redo them because they left big branches sticking out everywhere and a really sloppy cut.

i guess the conclusion is hp does matter if you want to cut stems that are wider than 3/8" ... as always get the most expensive equipment you can afford or justify.

Oh no!! I NEVER have to do that!!! I just sweep slowly, when it hit a thicker, it just stop the motion a little while it cut through the branch and then move on. It really not that bad up to 1/2". The engine power has never been a problem. I don't even try to force it. When the blade encounter a branch, it just stop the motion for a second while it cut through and then continue. The engine never even slow down.

You sure your blade is sharp? Your Stihl engine should be bigger and stronger than mine!!! I do run at higher rpm ( not WOT). If I run too slow, sometimes branches actually caught in the teeth, then it will stall the blade while the engine ride on the clutch, that is a no no:nono: But if I run a higher rpm, it never happened, not even my little Echo with only a 21cc engine. I actually use my Echo to cut through branches inside the recycle bin to compact it. It actually do a very good job!!!

Alan0354
05-14-2010, 08:30 PM
I don't know why some people consider adjusting the articulation is troublesome. I don't know other brands. I can only tell you about Shindaiwa.

It has a rubber cover handle. To adjust, you grap the handle with the palm of your left hand and the last 3 fingers. Then you squeeze the clamp with the thumb and index finger to release the lock. Then while holding the clamp open with the thumb and index finger, with the palm and 3 fingers, pivite the blade to the angle you want and just release the thumb and index finger and it will lock in the new position. All done with one hand while your right hand never even have to let go of the throttle.

You can do it with one hand in 5 seconds. You never have to rest the engine on the ground and use both hands to adjust and tighten anything.

If the other brands are not the same, give Shindaiwa a test drive. I stop using a regular hedge trimmer for two years since I bought this one. But I am still planning to buy a new hedge trimmer...............Toy if I can con my wife!!!!:laugh::laugh:

Mike NY
05-14-2010, 08:49 PM
I have an older Husky that I love, Bought the Still Kombi articulating to replace it, I wish I bought another Husky. Great combination of weight, length, and balance.
The Kombi is a nice powerfull unit, the cut of the trimmers is excellant, my only real complaints are that its too heavy and long.

freshprince94
05-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Stihl KM 90 with articulating trimmer attachment. I rarely stop to articulate though, but the times I do, it's worth it.

Robert Pruitt
05-14-2010, 09:11 PM
i have the STIHL HL100K hedger and the one with the 0 90 180 degree rotating handle, can not read the numbers anymore. the 100 is so much easier to use without getting burnt out. i think it will rotate about 135 degrees.

LouisianaLawnboy
05-14-2010, 09:31 PM
My shindy is nothing to articulate. Just pinch it and adjust.
Posted via Mobile Device