PDA

View Full Version : My new air filter finally done, with pics!

MikeKle
05-14-2010, 01:20 AM
I finally got this damn thing done, after waiting forever for that little plastic part that connects the air tube to the carb. They are very hard to come by, even if you order from Kawasaki? Now all I have to do is put a rain cap on it, but I am probably going to just make one, since they are over $28. and they are all plastic and break apart real easy! I can build a much stronger one that will never break! What do you all think about how it turned out? I was a little worried about how it would run, since I didnt really know if it was going to work or not, but the engine purred like a kitten, so I assume it is all good, or else it would have ran weird, if it wasnt getting enough or too much air...I think at least???

P.Services
05-14-2010, 01:25 AM
that looks like your mower is hitting a crack pipe!!!!!

how about you not be such a miser and just buy the donaldson canister filter for it?

KrayzKajun
05-14-2010, 01:52 AM
looks like a bong for a cheech and chong mower! LOL

MikeKle
05-14-2010, 01:53 AM

how about you not be such a miser and just buy the donaldson canister filter for it?

Hitting a crack pipe??? Where do you see that? I had a couple of these canister assemblys lying around, and decided to use them and I can get the air filters for $4. a piece! That is the main reason I switched, and the engine will run much cleaner now too, and hopefully last much longer. I check out the prices on a donaldson filter that comes on the FH580V, and just the canister itself is over $400, that is not including all the other parts either, and their air filters are ridiculously expensive! The type I used is for a Kubota or Yanmar/John Deere. The canister is all steel, unlike the plastic ones that come on mowers today!

unkownfl
05-14-2010, 01:57 AM
I think you should have fixed the recoil before that project. LOL

P.Services
05-14-2010, 02:20 AM

Baaaaa hahaha good eye!!!

How many times are you really going to change out that air filter? Maybe 10 times max. Big deal you save a hundred bucks over 5 years. 400 bucks for the filter? Dude are you hitting the pipe to? I bought a new kawi engine for my wb for 900 with the canister filter. The last time I looked they are like 30 bucks plus the adaptor and filter. I bet under a hundred bucks. And after it would look like a factory job.
Posted via Mobile Device

Merkava_4
05-14-2010, 02:42 AM
Why does it have a spout on top? What's you gonna pour in there?

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-14-2010, 02:46 AM
Are you familiar with the adage, "polishing a turd"? :D

unkownfl
05-14-2010, 02:50 AM
Why does it have a spout on top? What's you gonna pour in there?

Its a snorkel for all the flooding up there.

Grass Shark
05-14-2010, 03:03 AM
custom baby.... straight custom. looks functional

topsites
05-14-2010, 03:31 AM
So, what was wrong with the OEM filter again?

Richard Martin
05-14-2010, 06:54 AM
Hey Mike, don't pay these guys any mind. They're just giving you a hard time. The idea is great although it does look a little awkward. You can get metal rain caps and stuff like adapters at http://www.enginaire.com/products.htm.

sjessen
05-14-2010, 07:27 AM
One other thought: You may need to rejet your carb. Can't remember if you need larger or smaller ones.

MarcSmith
05-14-2010, 07:51 AM
looks functionalKinda like saying "shes big bones" She's got a great personality,

Its does look very functional but it look really odd at the same time...by the time you count your labor hours welding, bolting, and running around sourcing parts, you' ve got the about as much money tied up as a donaldson...

I can appreciate the ingenuity.

Richard Martin
05-14-2010, 08:44 AM
by the time you count your labor hours welding, bolting, and running around sourcing parts, you' ve got the about as much money tied up as a donaldson...

Yeah, but building is way more fun and satisfying than buying any day.

It's kinda like going to a car show and everybody there is patting the winner on his back, telling him what a good job he did. Little do they know (or probably care) but the guy didn't do anything other than wax the car when he got it back from, who know how many, the car shops that did the work.

Menawhile, over out of the way is the guy that didn't win. But he smiles all of the way home knowing that he did all of his own work himself. He was the real winner at that car show.

MarcSmith
05-14-2010, 08:56 AM
^ I agree, but this isn't a hobby, this is a business...sometimes its better to spend the money as your time can be and usually is more valuable than most people think.

PerfectEarth
05-14-2010, 09:19 AM
OH.......my.....Lord......

????????? Probably the funniest thing I have seen on this site.

Richard Martin
05-14-2010, 09:24 AM
^ I agree, but this isn't a hobby, this is a business...sometimes its better to spend the money as your time can be and usually is more valuable than most people think.

Enjoying life is way more important than making money. Admittedly though, being comfortable can help you enjoy life but it's not a requirement. That and everybody has spare time.

MikeKle
05-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Kinda like saying "shes big bones" She's got a great personality,

Its does look very functional but it look really odd at the same time...by the time you count your labor hours welding, bolting, and running around sourcing parts, you' ve got the about as much money tied up as a donaldson...

I can appreciate the ingenuity.

Actually I had most of the parts lying around, just had to buy 2 rubber flexible connectors, which were $3 each. I never noticed it looked odd, dont really care either, The mower is here to make me money, not to win a beauty contest, As long as it works fine, I really could care less about the looks of it. I did fix the recoil btw, before it was hanging like 12" out, now, sometimes it will go all the way back in and sometimes hang out like this???

MarcSmith
05-14-2010, 10:52 AM
look it this way. if someone ever steals your mower... you'll be able to ID it pretty easy...

unkownfl
05-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Get a replace recoil the spring system is wore out.

MikeKle
05-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Get a replace recoil the spring system is wore out.

I actually did replace the little spring, and it helped a little bit, but it still hangs out some, are you saying replace the whole assembly?

MarcSmith
05-14-2010, 12:08 PM
or wind the rope around the pulley 2 more times then run it though the hole and knot it in the handle..I konw it doesn't make sense, but essentially you want to pretension the spring such that when the handle is against the guard, its got tension on it.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-14-2010, 12:13 PM
or wind the rope around the pulley 2 more times then run it though the hole and knot it in the handle..I konw it doesn't make sense, but essentially you want to pretension the spring such that when the handle is against the guard, its got tension on it.

Yeah. Take it off and prep it. Then, once you've got it ready, with handle hooked on and everything, grab the rope just inside the exit hole and force the recoil around one or two more times before putting back on the mower.

MikeKle
05-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Yeah. Take it off and prep it. Then, once you've got it ready, with handle hooked on and everything, grab the rope just inside the exit hole and force the recoil around one or two more times before putting back on the mower.

Ive done this and as soon as I pull the rope to start it, it will still hang out and not recoil all the way back in, just like before?

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Ive done this and as soon as I pull the rope to start it, it will still hang out and not recoil all the way back in, just like before?

Busted spring, then? Rusted coil? The only way it wouldn't work is if somehow the recoil is stripping free of that tension...

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-15-2010, 03:56 AM
i agree with richard martin here. EVERYONE has spare time. why would u give this guy shittt?? instead of watching TV he played with his mower for a bit and learned a few things and actually made a functional filter. Nice work man. i dont think it looks that goofy.....that mower looks alot better than some ive seen on here. good job using parts u already had too. why spend $400 when u can do it for free? whoever said that u shoulda bought the factory part instead of use parts readily available plus a little creativity is the dumb one. JMO

MikeKle
05-15-2010, 10:57 AM
i agree with richard martin here. EVERYONE has spare time. why would u give this guy shittt?? instead of watching TV he played with his mower for a bit and learned a few things and actually made a functional filter. Nice work man. i dont think it looks that goofy.....that mower looks alot better than some ive seen on here. good job using parts u already had too. why spend $400 when u can do it for free? whoever said that u shoulda bought the factory part instead of use parts readily available plus a little creativity is the dumb one. JMO

Well, at least a few people think the same way I do! I love getting out there and tinkering around with the mowers and really anything else. Ive built many things that save me tons of time on the job. I do this when Im caught up and have free time, and I dont factor in labor per hour or anything, as I dont look at as labor, its more of a hobby, fabrication/welding,etc. That wouldve been really dumb to go buy the OEM exmark donaldson assembly, when I had a better canister filter sitting around anyway!

BTW, I checked out that enginaire site and love it, they are going to help me do this to my 14hp metro too, then all my mowers will have them!!(hopefully,) not sure I can run a canister filter on it. They have some great products!

mowerbrad
05-15-2010, 11:11 AM

Well that's what happens when the mower is hitting a crack pipe. :laugh:

Looks a little too "homemade" for my liking but if it works thats all that matters. Plus it gives you something to do and it always gives you a good sense of accomplishment after finishing a project like this.

robertsturf
05-15-2010, 11:34 AM
The reason the Donaldson kit is more expensive is it includes a new carb that is re-jetted correctly for that type of filter. I am thinking long term this may be harmful to your engine. If it runs to lean that could be fatal. Good idea though, I would just research it more.

MikeKle
05-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Well that's what happens when the mower is hitting a crack pipe. :laugh:

Looks a little too "homemade" for my liking but if it works thats all that matters. Plus it gives you something to do and it always gives you a good sense of accomplishment after finishing a project like this.

It should look a little less goofy once I get the rain cap on it. Those damn exmarks...always hitting the crack pipe!!!! Sets a bad example for my other mowers!

79chevy
05-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Does anyone know where I can order one online for my Kaw motor? I've been wanting to put one on my Exmark for a while, but could not find them.

Jason Rose
05-15-2010, 01:01 PM
One other thought: You may need to rejet your carb. Can't remember if you need larger or smaller ones.

Ditto. I researched adding a Donaldson or similar to a zero turn that didn't have one once and was told that the carb would have to be rejetted because the new filter flows differently. I also can't recall if it was more or less restrictive...

I'd also turn that canister around so it's over the engine instead of hanging out over the deck. first tree limb, fence board or bush that knocks it off or breaks it out there you re gonna be mad. Look where they typically mount them.

sjessen
05-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Does anyone know where I can order one online for my Kaw motor? I've been wanting to put one on my Exmark for a while, but could not find them.

Was told donaldson kits were available through exmark or kaw on engines 19 hp and up. You might also look at the engineaire system.

Cboy7
05-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Are you familiar with the adage, "polishing a turd"? :D

Thats the same turd that wants to hire chicks to mow his yards so he can pick up new customers.

oh and dont tell his girlfriend... she would be pissed?

grassman177
05-15-2010, 06:46 PM

i agree i think it is pretty nifty and would have done it too maybe, maybe not. but why not! our mowers come with them but dont use them for the smaller engines.

here is a thought and i guess i already know, but is it really a huge factor from new to have a cannister filter vs the standard fliter for longevity of the engine given regular maint?

ShooterK2
05-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Hey, if it works, it works. I can totally appreciate fixing things yourself, and doing a good job, and KNOWING it is better than before, regardless of what other people say it looks like. I wouldn't pay more money for an air cleaner just because it LOOKS better. Looks won't protect that engine any better.

It reminds me of the air cleaner assembly I made for my air compressor in my garage. When I bought the compressor, the 7 hp motor worked great but was LOUD, even in the house. So I took two pieces of flat metal, cut circles out, and sandwiched an automotive air filter in between. I mounted that in the attic above the compressor, cut a small hole in the ceiling, and ran a rubber hose from the filter to the carburetor. Works like a charm (and has for about ten years....and I used to do paint and bodywork with that thing.....) and is MUCH quieter. Seems like the only real expense I had in that project was about $7 for a Fram filter.

MikeKle
05-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Ditto. I researched adding a Donaldson or similar to a zero turn that didn't have one once and was told that the carb would have to be rejetted because the new filter flows differently. I also can't recall if it was more or less restrictive...

I'd also turn that canister around so it's over the engine instead of hanging out over the deck. first tree limb, fence board or bush that knocks it off or breaks it out there you re gonna be mad. Look where they typically mount them.

I took them to my dealers mechanic and he said as long as they were running like normal after the canister filter was installed, and was not making any odd noises, then it doesnt need to be re-jetted. He said that is something you would notice right away. As far as tree limbs and branches knocking it off, Ive already had it catch some branches and it didnt do anything to it except tear the limb out! I built the mounts extremely tough, no branch or limb is going to knock this thing off, and the entire canister and assembly is thick steel

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-16-2010, 12:26 AM
Thats the same turd that wants to hire chicks to mow his yards so he can pick up new customers.

oh and dont tell his girlfriend... she would be pissed?

?? You lost me ...

SouthSide Cutter
05-16-2010, 12:33 AM

I put one on my 18hp Kaw WB. I didnt rejet and everything is just fine. Fuel is sucked out of the jets by velocity thru the carb. Cant see it making much difference. Ran 2 Holley Dominators on alky with a 540 BBC, done alot of jetting on race carbs. Just cant picture a stock filter being that much worse on air flow over the bigger donaldson type. You would think the small filter would cause more trouble then when it starts to plug thus changing the air flow quicker than the bigger donaldson and causing the same trouble with jetting that some are talking about. And if this is true surely someone at one of these engine companys would have thought of this.

demhustler
05-16-2010, 11:33 PM
I finally got this damn thing done, after waiting forever for that little plastic part that connects the air tube to the carb. They are very hard to come by, even if you order from Kawasaki? Now all I have to do is put a rain cap on it, but I am probably going to just make one, since they are over $28. and they are all plastic and break apart real easy! I can build a much stronger one that will never break! What do you all think about how it turned out? I was a little worried about how it would run, since I didnt really know if it was going to work or not, but the engine purred like a kitten, so I assume it is all good, or else it would have ran weird, if it wasnt getting enough or too much air...I think at least???

why not abve the engine (or on top, like some hydrooil coolers) or attach it in front of gas tank?
cap - you can try larger plastic box (bottom- up and net in the bottom)

all my caps set not tight and holds down by simple rubber bungees; - if it gets caught or hit - it not brakes, just slides off

MikeKle
05-16-2010, 11:54 PM
why not abve the engine (or on top, like some hydrooil coolers) or attach it in front of gas tank?
cap - you can try larger plastic box (bottom- up and net in the bottom)

all my caps set not tight and holds down by simple rubber bungees; - if it gets caught or hit - it not brakes, just slides off

I didnt want to block anything else, or if I had to get in there to repair something, that big canister would be in the way. However, the more I look at it, I do think I couldve mounted it like they do to a degree and not as far out as it is, I may re-do it and buy the actual mounting plate that attaches to the front part of the FH580V...maybe, maybe not?

topsites
05-16-2010, 11:57 PM
It's all good man, if it makes you feel any better I fabricate my own spark plug wires for the
simple reason that I'm sick and tired of paying for crap that don't fit MY truck.
The best part is it costs me just as much in parts and it takes an entire afternoon to assemble a set of 8 :p

But like yourself I get a sense of satisfaction like no other, mind you they're 10.2mm Spyro pro racing wires, they ain't no joke
and they look a little like your project but at the same rate they work better than anything I've ever bought already assembled.

Besides...
You can't make it in business without doing these things, why that is so, it doesn't hardly make sense
from a financial stand point, it would seem like we're losing money but the simple fact is we do things
like these due to the way our minds function.

And I'm sure glad to see someone else is mechanically and mentally able.

That having been said, I think Exmark's can come off crack without going through withdrawal.
Yes I had to say that lol
Peace out

demhustler
05-17-2010, 02:28 AM
right, if use hoses - it doesn't matter where filter canister fastened, only intake hose (snorkel) and cap better to end-up in less dusty or hot place possible

mtmower
04-16-2014, 02:04 PM
mikekle, One other thought on your recoil. If the rope was replaced and is too long, there may not be enough room on your recoil reel to hold it all and it may be binding causing it not to pull the handle in all the way regardless of how much spring tension it has.

I can appreciate your air filter mod. If moving forward on another unit look close at the VLR system Enginaire has. Awesome company and I believe cheaper than Donaldson.

herler
04-17-2014, 01:38 AM
Yeah I'll stick to my OEM filters, granted they do cost $5- $10 each but that's what pre-filters are for.

I saw that too.