PDA

View Full Version : older equipment in use? most hours?

MikeLT1Z28
07-09-2002, 11:45 PM
inquiring minds want to know... who's got the oldest piece of daily used equipment or the most hours on their stuff.

HarryD
07-10-2002, 12:35 AM
ive got a old gear drive bunton 36" ive had since 1981 and it was used when i got it . had a old 12 brigs on it that was blown put the 12 kaw on it and its been rolling weekly ever since . about the only thing ive done to it is put belts and tires on it . I can put in some real nice stripes with that old dog :D

back then about the only other WB out were toro and keys and those heavy as green machine weed wackers

when i first started mowing out of school in 1978 this guy had some old commercial weed wackers that had 3 horse briggs on them with a curved shaft :eek: you needed a boy and a man to carry that dog around all day

AL Inc
07-10-2002, 06:38 AM
1993 Bobcat 36". I bought the machine used in 1995, and it was used daily until this year. I believe it has the original motor, but I've replaced belts, spindles, etc over the years. Still good as a back-up. I also have a Lawnboy 21" that I've been told is from the late 60's early 70's. It was given to me by an elderly customer who was meticulous about maintaining it. We don't use the machine much, maybe twice a day, but the thing runs great. I've only had to replace the plastic wheels with the steel ones from the commercial Lawnboys.Mike

Mowingman
07-10-2002, 07:57 AM
Bought a used Grasshopper 721D last year. It is a 1995 model with 3001 hrs on it. Never had any work done to engine and it runs and mows great.
Also have a 1954 Huffy ,18" push mower that still is used a few times a year. Hours unknown. It has had one engine rebuild.:D

TLS
07-10-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by HarryD

when i first started mowing out of school in 1978 this guy had some old commercial weed wackers that had 3 horse briggs on them with a curved shaft :eek: you needed a boy and a man to carry that dog around all day

My first string trimmer experience was in the late 70's. It was a weed wacker attachment for Poulan chainsaws. This was on my Dads Heavy (no plastic on these babies) 18" Poulan (back when they made GOOD stuff) chain saw. You took off the bar, and inserted this adapter that had a curved shaft with a weed wacker head on it. Very powerful, but you only got about 5 minutes out of it before it vibrated you hands off! You had to use the neck strap on this one!!!

As for most hours....

Some will never know, as most of your earlier equipment didn't come with hour meters (some still doesn't!) I'm sure that theres many mowers in the 5 digits on their "invisible" hour meters. Many engines, many spindles, many belts, and many tires.

Oh, yeah, and many gallons of grease!!

FrankenScagMachines
07-10-2002, 09:06 PM
Let's see here...
1993 Wheel Horse 520H garden tractor - 905 hrs - only replaced blades, one belt, points and condenser and cleaned carb.
1987-89 Toro rear engine rider - estimated 800? hrs, - replaced piston rings (should've been bored too but works fine like it is), belts, blade.
1974 Toro 21" self propelled front wheel drive side discharge mower, 3.5hp? B&S vertical rope start engine, I don't think anything major has been done to it but it starts on first pull.
1982 Toro 21" self propelled rear wheel drive rear bagging mower, 4hp Tecumseh electric start, converted to rope start (I did that) because the battery is too expensive to replace, replaced ignition module and put on a different carburetor (which needs rebuilt) but it starts on first pull (sometimes second). It's in like new condition.
1964 Bush Hog V3-6 garden tractor, estimated 2000 hrs? on original parts of it, all belts have been replaced, it's on the third engine (first was locked up when gramps got it used in '78 he put on a used motor and last year i rebuilt another motor for it). Rear axle bearings have been replaced, some bolts and nuts due to various reasons, steering rod end joint, all tires, many other misc. parts, I painted it last year, so much has been done to it that I can't even list so I say it's been restored. Not to like new factory specs but it's restored to good working condition. Transmission is dying on me slowly too but works fine, just is kinda picky.
Old Craftsman rear tine SP tiller, 16" wide, 3.5hp Tecumseh, one pull machine, strong motor, only replaced the belt. Don't know the year but it's an 80's?
Oh yea and a 2002 New Stihl FS80 R straight shaft string trimmer, less than 1 1/2 hours! :D
That's bout it....
Eric

KenH
07-10-2002, 09:47 PM
Used Daily: Scag 61" hydro rider, 2800 hours....

OBRYANMAINT
07-10-2002, 11:24 PM
94 walker with a 20 horse motor...........4800 hours on the meter, which i think is the only original piece

used daily

ADLAWNCUTTERS
07-11-2002, 02:05 AM
1987 SCAG 36" WALK BEHIND STILL GOING.

David Haggerty
07-11-2002, 06:30 AM
94' Toro Groundsmaster 580-D with 5,755 hours.
Like BushHogBoys' tractor, it's practically a restoration.
I bought it 6-5-01 with about 5,000 hours on it for $9,500.
The rebuild cost $7,780 and included rebuilding wheel motors, new deck lift cylinder, etc. for 6 pages!
I was worried about the engine. It's a Mitsubishi 80 hp turbo diesel. The head mechanic explained that was a truck engine. That I was no way near the life expectancy of this engine.
Cool...I love diesels.:D

Dave

southside
07-11-2002, 09:54 AM
1986 Deutz DX310 tractor and slasher. Approx 13500 hours.
There is a guy over here with a Massey Ferguson 250 who does
slashing and rotary hoeing. Apparently he has clocked up over
20000hrs on it. It's motor is on its second rebuild.

Dave, The Mitsi diesels will last for ages,you should probably
expect about 10000hrs before rebuild from new.

LAWNS AND MOWER
07-11-2002, 11:22 AM
I realize my Toro isnīt the oldest (1996) compared to the other posts, but I just replaced the engine last week with a new 15hp Kohler Command and canīt believe the difference!!! Easier on gas and runs like a jack rabbit!!! I probably have over 6500 hours on this mower.

LAWNS AND MOWER

PrimeGreen Lawn
07-11-2002, 10:24 PM
98 or 99 Exmark......3400 hrs. still strong after replacing a hydro pump at 2,000. I'm religisly changing the oil at 50 to 75 hrs. For a couple weeks this year I had to change every week!