PDA

View Full Version : Fired my first customer today

kingbros
05-14-2010, 12:29 AM
A couple weeks ago she calls and says "so $30 is a little more than I was paying before, will you weed the flower beds also?" My dumb ass said yes. Last week she calls and explains she found weeds in her beds. I explained that I had allotted 45 minutes during the first cut of the month for the weeding, which is more time than my hourly rate. I have done so many things for this lady and not charged her, I almost felt like telling her to go stick it. Today she sends me and email saying that her grass was clumpy, as the rain was coming down. I decided not to go over there, which is 30 minutes out of my way, and toss more grass around her yard.

Instead, I gave her the pink slip and feel damn good about it.

unkownfl
05-14-2010, 01:01 AM
Kinda your fault though in a way. If you said you're going to do the job it should be done right. If you can't do it right why say you will do it? I understand limiting your time there for the money but you should have been up front by saying its going to take more than one visit to get it straight or w/e.

GreenHammer
05-14-2010, 01:15 AM
Sounds like she's got your number, she took kindness as weakness and took you all the way down the road.

topsites
05-14-2010, 02:33 AM
Just have to find the right customers, it takes time.

Merkava_4
05-14-2010, 02:47 AM
How do you guys remove weeds out of the flowerbeds anyway, the old fashion way?

JoeHop6299
05-14-2010, 02:55 AM
How do you guys remove weeds out of the flowerbeds anyway, the old fashion way?

Cover the flowers with a 5gal. bucket and spray the beds down!!
Then next week pull the weeds, they be dead by then.

Buddy Buds
05-14-2010, 06:36 AM
Agreed to do a ladies yard for $55 eow. The yard was a mess. The first cut would have taken 3-4 hrs. to do it right. Her previous company just never showed back up. I pull up,take my edger up one side of the drive, go around back and do the patio, come back around to do the other side of the drive. I wanted to make sure she left the check where we had agreed. She left the check but also a note saying she got a better price and the one cut was all she needed me. I do several yards in this nice neighborhood. I was not going to spend hours cleaning this yard so someone else could just walk in and do it cheaper. I got back in my truck and left.:nono:

VAMower
05-14-2010, 07:32 AM
no good deed (free work) goes unpunished....

MikeKle
05-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Even if you had kept her, she would continued to be a pain, and probably tried to get you to do more for her. IF you explained all this to the lady and she still was asking you about it, sounds like she is a dumb ass and you dont need people like that! I love that feeling when I dump a PITA yard or customer, but usually try to have a replacement lined up first.

kingbros
05-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Part of me will always second guess my judgment, but the facts add up to a more profitable situation and less stress, both of which I seek.

Florida Gardener
05-14-2010, 10:28 PM
trust me you did the right thing. Maybe could have called her instead of not showing up, but dropping was the right thing. I just dropped 2 customers like the one you had and it feels great not to have to show up there everyweek. There are many more customers out there who will be way better.

lifetree
05-14-2010, 10:45 PM
... She left the check but also a note saying she got a better price and the one cut was all she needed me. ... I got back in my truck and left.:nono:

So, it's not clear to me whether you "finished" that call and took the check, or, left the check and immediately left the property ??

tstutz
05-14-2010, 11:42 PM
I have had this happen to me too many times. Most of the time i will find its the older people that ask me to do this and sometimes it is so hard for me to say no to the little old lady i have had for years, but it must be done. Its business....BUSINESS!
This is one reason i love my commercial accounts. If they want something done they usually will just say charge me your hourly rate which is what always is the plan. They do not ask for freebies or favors. They seem to "get it" more than the elderly for some reason.

SNAPPER MAN
05-14-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't know how you guys keep work not doing the flowerbeds. At all my accounts we weed and rake flowerbeds weekly. If you do it once and then stay on top of them it is easy. It just takes a couple minutes to pull a few weeds each week instead of waiting for them to add up.

dKoester
05-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Crews are the way to go. Their like a well oiled machine.

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-15-2010, 01:51 AM
Agreed to do a ladies yard for $55 eow. The yard was a mess. The first cut would have taken 3-4 hrs. to do it right. Her previous company just never showed back up. I pull up,take my edger up one side of the drive, go around back and do the patio, come back around to do the other side of the drive. I wanted to make sure she left the check where we had agreed. She left the check but also a note saying she got a better price and the one cut was all she needed me. I do several yards in this nice neighborhood. I was not going to spend hours cleaning this yard so someone else could just walk in and do it cheaper. I got back in my truck and left.:nono:

$55 for 3-4 hrs work? even after the first cut im guessing it would take at least 2 hours to cut......thats a little low man. i dont know how she found anyone to do that cheaper! be glad u drove away lol..

and good job on firing that dumb biaatch today man! its not ur fault in any way shape or form. u could have told her it wouldnt be all taken care of at once like the other guy said....but shes the type who would piss n moan no matter what u did. i hate the people who ask "will u blow the leaves outta the beds and remove them everytime u cut?" lol people suck

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-15-2010, 01:55 AM
I don't know how you guys keep work not doing the flowerbeds. At all my accounts we weed and rake flowerbeds weekly. If you do it once and then stay on top of them it is easy. It just takes a couple minutes to pull a few weeds each week instead of waiting for them to add up.

if they are really high and noticeable in the front yard....ill hack em down. but why pull them for free when u can be paid to clean beds out? thats just my opinion. i never leave a yard looking like hell, but im not going to be on my hands and knees pulling weeds after each cut for free unless its one of my "old people" customers who cant bend over and dont expect it to be done every cut!

AOD
05-15-2010, 07:24 AM
I friggin hate pulling weeds! I would either explicitly say no or tell a customer weeds are pulled at the same hourly rate as pricing is based at, $35 an hour, 1 hour minimum. the only exception would be like some of the older customers I have. They overpay me and insist I keep every dime even when I tell them it's more than enough. If they want some weeds pulled I will make the time.

Buddy Buds
05-15-2010, 07:53 AM
I left the check and immediately left the property. Yesterday as I was cutting four yards in the neighborhood the guy was there when I started at 8am and he left at 12:23. I grossed $180 while he spent over 4 hours for less than my $55 bid. I guarantee she won't let him come back for three weeks.

N.TX
05-15-2010, 08:15 AM
I didnt know you can fire a customer ...........

underESTIMATED
05-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Cover the flowers with a 5gal. bucket and spray the beds down!!
Then next week pull the weeds, they be dead by then.

I literally giggled. Out loud. Alot. :laugh:

PPS.inc
05-18-2010, 04:30 PM
I don't touch beds unless asked to by the customer. They will see you pulling the weeds and expect you to do it every week. I will hack them down with the whip. SOMETIMES. I get alot of business hand writing in my invoices a bid for weeding. Easy early week work.