PDA

View Full Version : Stihl String Trimmer

GardnerLandscaping
05-14-2010, 03:06 AM
I picked up the Stihl string trimmer Kombi attachment to retire the consumer Husqvarna string trimmer model I had been using heavily for anything from brush clearing to edging for the past 3 years. I was concerned with the Stihl at the store since the head was designed like the Homelite string trimmer I bought when I first bought a home. I thought, it is a Stihl and should work fine but should consider getting the "C" model though it was designed somewhat the same way.

I was thoroughly disappointed in the string trimmer head. I replaced the vortex style trimmer line which came it with regular Stihl trimmer line after I had to stop to fix the line. I was first annoyed that you have to cut the line in half and was difficult to refill the line since you couldn't spin the spool in your hands with the Homelite-like design tags and notches for bump feeding. After stopping 3 more times to fix the trimmer line, I brought out the Lowe's Husqvarna 125L out of retirement and filled it quickly with trimmer line. Even with the cover and bump worn through, the plastic trigger split, the shaft rattling, and the engine smoking at the end of the job, I didn't have to stop once and was able to finish quickly, and it was a decent-sized corner lot of a new customer who hasn't been trimmed and edged in years -- I had to shovel dirt out of the street gutters.

I noticed all the professional models the store carried except one came standard with this head. I'm still scratching my head why most of the landscapers in this area use these string trimmers designed like a Homelite. Are they replacing the string trimmer head with the autofeed or the "C" head? Which one should I get or should I get some other brand head attachment?

LushGreenLawn
05-14-2010, 05:42 AM
I bought my first Sthil this year, and it will be my last. That head sucks! It is also hard to start. The string is constantly breaking because if the head design.

I had an old echo that was not running properly, it will shut off if you do not feather the throttle. My helper put the Sthil back on the rack and started using the broken Echo! I ordered a new carb for the Echo, and the Sthil is going to be givin away!

Merkava_4
05-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Everybody likes the Shindaiwa Speed-Feed head.

mbrew
05-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Everybody likes the Shindaiwa Speed-Feed head.

I second that. I'm using one on my consumer level Husqvarna and its even less trouble than the original. I worked that trimmer hard a couple of weeks ago dong work that probably should have been done with a brush cutter and I was happy with the performance.

GardnerLandscaping
05-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the advice. I haven't been impressed with Stihl. The dealer's back room is full of them waiting for repair. I need to have my switch replaced and something done with the carb, and I've only used it for hedge trimming and still under warranty. I thought it was the adjustments since they messed with them when I bought it. He said it had something to do with ethanol. The Shindaiwa and Echo (years ago) I used in the past were much better though the Shindaiwa wasn't easily opened when you did overheat the line and it would stick. The Shindaiwa dealer around here is over-priced, but I'll look at them. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the C model (load and spin without taking it apart) or the autofeed where you don't have to bump the head -- which means i only have to replace the cover if i wear it out hovering it on the ground (i get lazy). i'm tempted to put the husqvarna head on it, though i go through them fairly quickly and lowes only sells the whole assembly as a replacement.

mowslot54
05-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the advice. I haven't been impressed with Stihl. The dealer's back room is full of them waiting for repair. I need to have my switch replaced and something done with the carb, and I've only used it for hedge trimming and still under warranty. I thought it was the adjustments since they messed with them when I bought it. He said it had something to do with ethanol. The Shindaiwa and Echo (years ago) I used in the past were much better though the Shindaiwa wasn't easily opened when you did overheat the line and it would stick. The Shindaiwa dealer around here is over-priced, but I'll look at them. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the C model (load and spin without taking it apart) or the autofeed where you don't have to bump the head -- which means i only have to replace the cover if i wear it out hovering it on the ground (i get lazy). i'm tempted to put the husqvarna head on it, though i go through them fairly quickly and lowes only sells the whole assembly as a replacement.

i bought a stihl fs 100 rx and had nothing but problems with it from day one. took it back the first week and it had to have a new carb put on it. go with a shindaiwa. i use one out at the funeral home i work at. good machines.

lawnboy dan
05-14-2010, 08:09 AM
i dont buy sthil anymore either -their quality has gone to crap-now just a big name.

GKchris311
05-14-2010, 08:46 AM
We bought 2 FS100's at the start of the season. Been running them hard for the last month and a half and have absolutely no problems with performance. I keep hearing bad things about them on here but I've honestly not had anything go wrong with mine. We were having the line stick inside the head a lot in the begining and my guys were constantly stoping to reload it. Talked to my dealer and was told thats often cause from trying to load too much line into the head. We started only stringing them about half full and the problem so far is solved. Maybe I'm just lucky, maybe next week mine will go down. I hope not.

genesis215
05-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Get rid of the head, and put a Universal Speed Feed 375 head on. I have one, and it's great. You don't have to take the head apart to restring it. #78890-18000 is the Shindaiwa part # for it. It will have the adapters included to fit your Stihl. Hope this helps.

AllSeasonServices
05-14-2010, 09:22 AM
I have 2 FS 90s. 1 is brand new the other is a year old. Not a single problem. Love em. Im using the original head on the new one but I did switch over to the Echo head on the other.

Robert Pruitt
05-14-2010, 09:45 AM
i had the same sticking problem with my Stihls years ago. was putting 25 rounds of string now using 20. it also seems they have a lot of wax on their line. now using a rag pulling the line through when pulling it off the spool. Stihl is #1 for myself.

GKchris311
05-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Get rid of the head, and put a Universal Speed Feed 375 head on. I have one, and it's great. You don't have to take the head apart to restring it. #78890-18000 is the Shindaiwa part # for it. It will have the adapters included to fit your Stihl. Hope this helps.

I've heard a lot about the speed feed heads but honestly know nothing about them. Hows it work? Whys is such a great advantage?

mbrew
05-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Very fast to load and little to no trouble with it clogging or jamming. I spent two hours knocking down thick tall Johnsongrass with it a week or so ago and it did very well. There's a youtube video on it somewhere. It sold me. The Echo looks pretty easy too, but people I talked to that had used both preferred the Speedfeed. It's a little ironic that one major equipment supplier had a head that was so popular that the aftermarket started selling it for all trimmers. I've never talked to anyone that had used both the Autocut and the Speedfeed, so I have no reference for that one, but I couldn't find anyone that had used both the regular Stihl head and the Speedfeed who like the standard Stihl better.

Mike

dwost
05-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Ditto........speed feed all the way. Simply thread the line through the holes, pull it through and even up the ends so each strand is equal in length, start winding the head and it is fully loaded in about 15 seconds. Couldn't be easier.

unkownfl
05-14-2010, 07:30 PM
go on youtube and type in speedfeed head check it out. I took just bough a fs90 it starts fine but the head sucks I couldn't figure out how the damn thing came out for a few minutes. Then I realized you have to cut the line put it in those holes and wind it back on its self. I don't think it holds much line and the damn thing has nothing to bump on like the shindaiwa and oregan heads. You have to cut the line perfect too you can't have like a mushed cut or it won't fit into the head and bigger line than .095 I don't think will fit. I'm ordering a speedfeed on ebay here in about 5 minutes.

Robert Pruitt
05-14-2010, 08:44 PM
i have no problem with loading the line on my FS85 or FS90R. just load the bottom first and clip it in the slot, load the top and snap it all together. don't no what the problem is with the bump feed unless it was bought used and the the thing is just worn out.

newtostone
05-14-2010, 09:00 PM
go on youtube and type in speedfeed head check it out. I took just bough a fs90 it starts fine but the head sucks I couldn't figure out how the damn thing came out for a few minutes. Then I realized you have to cut the line put it in those holes and wind it back on its self. I don't think it holds much line and the damn thing has nothing to bump on like the shindaiwa and oregan heads. You have to cut the line perfect too you can't have like a mushed cut or it won't fit into the head and bigger line than .095 I don't think will fit. I'm ordering a speedfeed on ebay here in about 5 minutes.

can you put this speedfeed head on a fs90?

unkownfl
05-14-2010, 09:40 PM
can you put this speedfeed head on a fs90?

I'll find out I'm sure you can they make a universal kit. Just be careful because they make a small and large head for the speed feed.

I bought my fs90 brand new its jut the head has to be hit on a solid object like a wall concrete. I can bump on the grass with a speed feed.

mowerbrad
05-14-2010, 09:41 PM
I have stihl's version of the speedfeed head on my FS100RX (3 years old and not one problem) but I just put on the head the other week. From playing around with the head, its pretty easy to load and works pretty well. I also had no problems with the head that originally came on the trimmer, I just wanted something that I could reload and not have to take the head apart to do so.