PDA

View Full Version : Nearly 4 mows and bye bye.

dolt
05-14-2010, 08:04 AM
My first client i had to say enough is enough . I mow one of her houses that she rents out to her son . Anyway after first mow i had to call her and let her no job is done so i then wait 20 minutes for her to turn up and pay me ( k no worries ) second mow same thing but after recieving money i asked if we can organise a way to leave money some where at back of house ( which half my other clients do ) she wasnt keen with that so i said well u can pay via net bank she said i can do it but rather not , so she says i will leave it in mail box , k cool . Third mow no money in mail box , had to meet her some where and collect money , fourth mow she promised to leave it in mail box . So i turn up today to start mowing check mail box (no money) so i call her and say the money isnt there as we organised , she said i will be around shortly and hangs up . So i start on edges , she pulls up i turn of edger she says i didnt tell her exact time id be here , i say well its very hard to give exact time and i did say in the morning before 11am , and i say look doing this every visit is getting silly , calling you , sometimes meeting you at a silly place to collect money it doesnt have to be like this,i offered again for me just to leave invoice so she can just pay via net bank or post a check or have money at a designated spot at premises , she says well you dont have to mow it if you dont want to , i handed money back and said have a nice day and packed up gear and left. Seriously one time she wanted to meet me in a car park to collect money . So bye bye .

GardnerLandscaping
05-14-2010, 08:25 AM
whats wrong with invoice and mailing a check? invoice a couple by email and they mail a check. i had one of those rents out to son houses. i dumped the client because she wanted it done once per month and it was a huge yard with lots of work. wasn't worth how much she wanted to pay so i fired her by charging her double for monthly since the son didn't mow.

PerfectEarth
05-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Dolt, sorry to say, but it sounds like you are the one being the pain in the a**.... Just invoice your customers!!! It's part of doing business!! They don't wanna deal with running around and remembering what day you come and running money here and there....blah blah blah....make it easy for them! Yes, we need to get paid but c'mon.....I send all my customers detailed invoices with self-addressed stamped envelopes. Sorry man, but from how you tell it, I wouldn't want you bothering me over simple lawn service either!

BCL Services
05-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Dolt, sorry to say, but it sounds like you are the one being the pain in the a**.... Just invoice your customers!!! It's part of doing business!! They don't wanna deal with running around and remembering what day you come and running money here and there....blah blah blah....make it easy for them! Yes, we need to get paid but c'mon.....I send all my customers detailed invoices with self-addressed stamped envelopes. Sorry man, but from how you tell it, I wouldn't want you bothering me over simple lawn service either!

No doubt. Looks desperate to a customer in my opinion.

cpmai
05-14-2010, 09:19 AM
In this business (any service related business for that matter) customer service/relation's is priority,doesn't sound like she was getting very good customer service running all over creation to pay you. Just invoice them,much easier for everybody.

dolt
05-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Eh , I asked her a few times if i can just leave her a invoice so she can pay it via net bank or send check , it was her that didnt want that ,it was her that wanted me calling her and wanting to meet at stupid places to get paid . I offered these payment options .

dolt
05-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Also i did ask to send invoice to her house but she was not having that ( maybe thinks id rob it , who knows ) she was offered easy ways to pay but no she was just a pain in the ass , she basically wanted me to call her when job was done and wait on her , bye bye

AllSeasonServices
05-14-2010, 10:12 AM
I dont ask the customer how they want to pay. If we have a service agreement you get a detailed invoice every month to be paid within 15 days. If it a one time thing like a planting or lawn renovation the customer pays in full upon completion... No exceptions.

dolt
05-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Only been doing this for 5/6 months only got around 20 clients most people just pay cash . Im trying to ease them into me just invoicing them and then pay by net bank or send check as a option from leaving cash but alot just dont use internet banking or use checks . I dont no what above posters are reading but i clearly say that it was her that wanted to run around and meet me in car parks so i can collect money , not me saying to her hey meet me at car park so you can collect money.

MikeKle
05-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Why did you hand the money back from the last mowing? You were owed this money..right? Even if you are dumping her, keep the money!

dolt
05-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Fourth mow was today and i only got started on edges so i gave money back as not much work was done

ukcats
05-16-2010, 07:53 PM
could have kept the lawn. Why not call her when you arrive and by the time you were done she should have been there no time wasted. And both you and her would have been happy

yardguy28
05-16-2010, 08:09 PM

No doubt. Looks desperate to a customer in my opinion.

will you guys clean your glasses or something. the man said he offered multipul times to invoice her so she can be by check or pay online and she didn't want to do that.

sounds to me like SHE was the one being the pain in the @ss.

i wouldn't mess with that. i have clients ask me all the time how i collect money. i always tell them i invoice most on a monthly basis but if there something easier for them i'm open to it. i have some that are home and just pay me right then and there each week. others leave money someone on the property for me to pick up.

i have one right now that is sort of like dolts situation. first time i mowed she was home and paid me. second mow she wasn't home and called me and almost demanded i come pick up the money. i told her i won't have time to make it out there until next week when come to mow. third mow she knew i wouldn't be there when she was home and again almost demanded i come and pick up the money when she was home. she says repeatedly she doesn't like owing people money. i told her again i can only be there once a week to mow. i'm to busy to be running back to clients to pick up money. she left third payment in mail box and i got it just fine.

FLAhaulboy
05-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Also i did ask to send invoice to her house but she was not having that ( maybe thinks id rob it , who knows ) she was offered easy ways to pay but no she was just a pain in the ass , she basically wanted me to call her when job was done and wait on her , bye bye

Here is a possible future solution that has worked for me...

If at a job site working by myself, I call the client like 30 mins before I should have the job completed, by the time I'm through, the client has arrived to pay me. I seriously say to them, though I'm joking, I charge an additional $1.00 per minute if they're late showing up!

Sounds like this lady is a "fugitive" from justice, or paranoid etc...

yardguy28
05-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Here is a possible future solution that has worked for me...

If at a job site working by myself, I call the client like 30 mins before I should have the job completed, by the time I'm through, the client has arrived to pay me. I seriously say to them, though I'm joking, I charge an additional $1.00 per minute if they're late showing up!

Sounds like this lady is a "fugitive" from justice, or paranoid etc...

why are you guys calling clients and having them show up to pay you in the first place???

why not just invoice on a monthly basis like the professional you are???

i don't know about some of you but i'm to busy to wait for a client to show up to pay me or even call them to tell them i'm there. as soon as i put the truck in park in front of clients property i'm out of the truck getting started. i make most of my call backs in the evening after my last job of the day.

maybe some of you drive and talk on the phone but i don't. mostly because i might need to write something down the person is telling me. i do make a few phone calls from time to time while driving from one job to the next but only if i know i won't need to write anything down. i almost never sit in front of a property and make calls. i keep moving most of the time.

we're not in the business of chasing down money..........

rob7233
05-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Eh , I asked her a few times if i can just leave her a invoice so she can pay it via net bank or send check , it was her that didnt want that ,it was her that wanted me calling her and wanting to meet at stupid places to get paid . I offered these payment options .

Why in the world would you let any client dictate how you do business ??!!

It goes like this - Hey Pita lady, this is the way it is with me & my company. Everyone's gotta be on the same page so I can be the most efficient. (Time costs me money). That way I can offer the best value and price to ALL my customers. So simply, it's "Lady, you're mucking up the works here and it's gonna cost you a collection fee each and every time. So.., do you still want to do business YOUR way?" Grow some nuts, Dude. :hammerhead:

PerfectEarth
05-16-2010, 10:25 PM
why are you guys calling clients and having them show up to pay you in the first place???

why not just invoice on a monthly basis like the professional you are???

we're not in the business of chasing down money..........

Yardguy....that's what I'm saying. My glasses are clean, my friend.

tedblackwood
05-16-2010, 10:37 PM
E-mail invoice...Get check in mail....Easy.

dolt
05-17-2010, 05:44 AM
Why in the world would you let any client dictate how you do business ??!!

It goes like this - Hey Pita lady, this is the way it is with me & my company. Everyone's gotta be on the same page so I can be the most efficient. (Time costs me money). That way I can offer the best value and price to ALL my customers. So simply, it's "Lady, you're mucking up the works here and it's gonna cost you a collection fee each and every time. So.., do you still want to do business YOUR way?" Grow some nuts, Dude. :hammerhead:

I guess that as i do this part time and only have 20 clients i tried to hang onto her . Anyway she is gone now and i now learn from that experiance.

punt66
05-17-2010, 07:23 AM
I guess that as i do this part time and only have 20 clients i tried to hang onto her . Anyway she is gone now and i now learn from that experiance.

Dolt, invoice all your clients. The only one being a pain in the ass is you. Yes we can read. Its your business. Run it YOUR way.

stephen424
05-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Yea Dolt,

Even if you are "just a guy that comes around and cuts the grass every so often"...run your business like a business.

You have to set your standard in the beginning. I leave a self-addressed stamped envelope for all my clients. Yes I'm losing money on each stamp, but trust me, it's wayyyy worth it.

I have customers in my neighborhood that want to knock on my door and pay me. Some want to put the check in the slot underneath my mailbox. Some want to put cash underneath my doormat.

NO NO NO...

I run my business like a business. You can't put cash underneath the doormat at your credit card company...at your mortgage company, etc.

One customer said "Come on Stephen, it's just silly for me to have to mail payment to you when we live 6 houses apart"

My response "I run my business like a business. And when I'm home, I don't want 20 people knocking on my door/ringing the bell. My time at home (with my wife and 15 month old son) is my down time"

I go to my PO Box every Friday when my day is done to collect payments...then str8 to the bank. I leave invoices with the customer the last service date of the month and payment is due by the 7th day of the next month (due dates are June 7, July 7, August 7, etc)

AI Inc
05-17-2010, 07:56 AM
The biggest reason for invoicing is the time speant talking with the customer is money out of your pocket. Ive had customers say " let me pay you now" and it takes longer for them to find their checkbook and write the check then the repair took.

topsites
05-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Don't be too hard on the guy, I'm in my ninth year and I still get the funny clients from time to time too,
y'all say but you should have done this or that, I know this too but I can assure you this BS don't
work with them folks, so anyhow you did the right thing, be glad it only lasted 4 mows because with them
kind of folks it usually never gets better...

Sad because they're not always the worst kind, I ain't never understood it, but here's a tip: I will NOT wait for the money.
Don't argue with them, I explain things one time, they don't want to do that...
Two minutes, and I mean 120 seconds and I leave the bill on the door and start the truck and go,
and if they don't like it that's fine because if I don't get my check for that work
then I ain't coming back, so however they want to do it.

Now I don't like being that way but I done been jerked around enough in this world,
please lets get this over with it is only a grass cut so either pay me now or later but thanks and :waving:

Anyhow it's all good, some folks think we are their lawn boys or something (like they 'own' you),
not sure but it's all good, you did the right thing and yes it adds up to experience, it happens.

Peace out

br549oicu8
05-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Quickbooks Pro....get it and learn it.
It's a waste of time to collect per mow. If they want to pay in advance, fine. My crews do not collect in the field at all.
I agree with others saying it is your business and you should set it up and stick with the plan. Lay it out to the customer and turn them away if they don't agree. I don't have time for PITA people like that.

rain man
05-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Collecting cash in the field makes one an easy mark. There ARE people who pay attention and will rob you. Guy I used to work with in a former life recently robbed and shot (he lived). Our rule: NEVER flash cash in the field. Depends a lot on what type area you work but it can happen even in the best of areas.

Remember Confederate general Nathan Forrest words: "No man kills me and lives".

yardguy28
05-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Yardguy....that's what I'm saying. My glasses are clean, my friend.

ok but i don't think he is the one at fault or necessarly wrong. i try to accommodate all my clients as best i can but i have guidelines i follow in trying to accommodate them.

sounds like he should create some guidelines but i wouldn't put him at fault. i don't know how many years he's been doing business but i'm sure i did stupid stuff when i first started. hell i still do stupid stuff sometimes.

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-17-2010, 07:03 PM
could have kept the lawn. Why not call her when you arrive and by the time you were done she should have been there no time wasted. And both you and her would have been happy

not worth it. you did the right thing in my opinion. i wouldnt EVER call any of my customers EVRYTIME i mow there friggin house. thats pathetic. If she didnt like your payment plans, then screw her. meeting up and chasing down what...30- $40??? NOT WORTH IT EVERY WEEK. If she was my customer i would have told her the first time meeting her that she has 3 options. #1 pay me every week by leaving it sumwhere ON the property(doormat etc) #2 biweekly payments (by check/internet thru mail) or what most of mine feel best paying is Monthly. I leave Invoice for every cut (1 of 4) (2 of 4) so on.. most thru email but some thru mailbox. once they recieve the last invoice they have 5 days to pay as stated on the invoice or a late fee is charged. Now what is so hard about that? a lady who wants to drive u around the world and waste ur time every single week just because she is too lazy to put the money or check under a doormat or in the grill or send it thru mail like normal people is a PITA. id say u didnt do anything wrong except not be more demanding with your forms of payment

FLAhaulboy
05-17-2010, 10:58 PM
"why are you guys calling clients and having them show up to pay you in the first place???

why not just invoice on a monthly basis like the professional you are???"

I like money in my pocket NOW, not x # of days later. I do the majority of my jobs immediately after I'm hired. Invoicing costs "me" $. I want payment upon completion of the work.

Some jobs, I'll give a quote & they'll call me days "later" & hire me. I'd ask when they will be home, the guy or gal says I get off work at 4 pm & be home at 4:30 pm, I tell them I'll be there earlier & should be through by the time they get home. No waiting for client to show up or bother me while working & I get instantly paid. Most of my jobs are one time only, not regular work.

tedblackwood
05-17-2010, 11:08 PM
FLA

I like money in my pocket NOW, not x # of days later. I do the majority of my jobs immediately after I'm hired. Invoicing costs "me" $. I want payment upon completion of the work.

I tell them I'll be there earlier & should be through by the time they get home. No waiting for client to show up or bother me while working & I get instantly paid. Most of my jobs are one time only, not regular work.

I guess that would be fine for landscaping but this is the lawn mowing forum.

I would crash if I tried to chase maintenance account for cash. With a helper some jobs we are at for just a few minutes

TheC-Master
05-17-2010, 11:15 PM
I do online pay monthly but I'm getting out of that, debit or credit, charge day of service. Plain and simple, chasing down customers and waiting a long time for mailing every month is expensive and time consuming and I don't want my money tied up. Some customers *do* prefer to leave money under the mat, doesn't bother me. I get paid that day.

yardguy28
05-17-2010, 11:17 PM
"why are you guys calling clients and having them show up to pay you in the first place???

why not just invoice on a monthly basis like the professional you are???"

Some jobs, I'll give a quote & they'll call me days "later" & hire me. I'd ask when they will be home, the guy or gal says I get off work at 4 pm & be home at 4:30 pm, I tell them I'll be there earlier & should be through by the time they get home. No waiting for client to show up or bother me while working & I get instantly paid. Most of my jobs are one time only, not regular work.

there's one big difference right there.......

90% of my work is on a weekly basis. i don't have the time or the desire to be calling all of my clients before i start the work so they can be around and pay me when i'm done. not to mention most of the work i do is done during hours when the clients are not home. they are at work earning the money to pay me in the first place.

i rarely get a chance to do a job right when i'm there giving the estimate. most of my estimates are done inbetween jobs, in the evening after my last job or on the weekend depending on the location of the estimate. and again when doing the estimate most of the people are at work.

another note about getting the money right NOW as you say. most people write checks which involves going to the bank to get the actual money so you wouldn't actually have the money until you've been to the bank and they give you the cash.........:hammerhead:

most of us run a professional business. not some outfit that only accepts cash and has the time to do the job on the spot and when the clients are home.

most of my clients are invoiced on a monthly basis and send checks in the mail or leave it somewhere on there property to pick up the next time i'm there to service there property. the checks are deposited in a business bank account, not cashed and pocketed.

dolt
05-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Yep , if we were all the same it would be a boring world . I see every one do things differently . Only been doing this for 5/6 months so got a lot to learn . I leave invoices at about half my clients and pick up cash from the other half at a designated spot at premises . Ive found out so far that both methods are good as i also like to have cash in my pocket but im slowly converting as many of my clients to let me just leave invoice and pay me via netbank if they use a pc ( not every one does ) when i first started all where cash left at premises but i soon learnt that im chasing around after there work sometimes to pick up money etc not all of em but enough to get me to start using invoices , so this is the way im wanting to go,everyone that uses a pc or uses checks can get invoiced , of course not everyone has internet or uses checks so i will never not service there yard as im sure leaving money on premises will also work ,i will just have to make it clear from the get go , and work out the pita and act on it quicker.

yardatwork
05-18-2010, 08:14 AM
Honestly...you made this a bigger issue. I mail EVERYONE monthly. It's less paper work for me, less hassle meeting to get paid, less hassle relying on people to leave money in secret spots...so much easier. I send one invoice, they send one check. All clients are net 30 with a $5.00 per month late fee. The business clients follow the net 30 and the residential clients typically pay within a week or two.

dolt
05-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Honestly...you made this a bigger issue. I mail EVERYONE monthly. It's less paper work for me, less hassle meeting to get paid, less hassle relying on people to leave money in secret spots...so much easier. I send one invoice, they send one check. All clients are net 30 with a $5.00 per month late fee. The business clients follow the net 30 and the residential clients typically pay within a week or two.

And if they dont use checks ? All of my clients are residentials ( just your average joe blow ) . 1 of my client leaves a check , Honestly in the 160 invoices i have done since i started 3 people have used checks . different horses for different courses.

punt66
05-18-2010, 02:30 PM
And if they dont use checks ? All of my clients are residentials ( just your average joe blow ) . 1 of my client leaves a check , Honestly in the 160 invoices i have done since i started 3 people have used checks . different horses for different courses.

everybody uses checks here.

clydebusa
05-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Why did you hand the money back from the last mowing? You were owed this money..right? Even if you are dumping her, keep the money!

This was my thoughts also. Good luck in the future!

PPS.inc
05-18-2010, 05:38 PM
invoice after 4 cuts. Payment due upon receipt. After 30 days no payment stop cutting the lawn. When they hire the next guy. I stop by and inform him they dont pay up. Then I put a lien on the property!!!! They pay up pretty quick and If your nice to them I can get the lawn back.

yardguy28
05-18-2010, 05:45 PM
invoice after 4 cuts. Payment due upon receipt. After 30 days no payment stop cutting the lawn. When they hire the next guy. I stop by and inform him they dont pay up. Then I put a lien on the property!!!! They pay up pretty quick and If your nice to them I can get the lawn back.

and you would want the lawn back why???

i have a major rule in my business. once you get turned over to the collection agency i don't work for you ever again. even if you ended up paying the over due invoice.

why would anyone want to work for someone who doesn't pay......:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Andre's Lawn Care
05-18-2010, 06:35 PM
I just do invoices at the end of the month, but if she really wants to pay you every week, I would just call her when i arrive and start mowing so i wont waste time waiting for her.

FLAhaulboy
05-18-2010, 11:07 PM
most of us run a professional business. not some outfit that only accepts cash and has the time to do the job on the spot and when the clients are home.

most of my clients are invoiced on a monthly basis and send checks in the mail or leave it somewhere on there property to pick up the next time i'm there to service there property. the checks are deposited in a business bank account, not cashed and pocketed. "

I don't demand cash as payment though some do pay me in cash. Whether I get paid cash/check, it still goes into the ledger & into the bank. Even if I only accepted "cash", my business would not be less professional than yours.

yardguy28
05-18-2010, 11:12 PM
I don't demand cash as payment though some do pay me in cash. Whether I get paid cash/check, it still goes into the ledger & into the bank. Even if I only accepted "cash", my business would not be less professional than yours.

then what makes the difference whether it's cash NOW or a check later???

i invoice because it's easiest and most convenient way to receive payment. no hassle of calling clients so they know when i'm going to be at there property, no chasing them down for payment. simply send an invoice in the mail or through email and check is in the mail to me.

sorry for the stereo type though. i think a lot of people make the assumption those only accepting cash don't report it and pay taxes on it.

but i seriously don't see the need to have the cash in pocket if all you do is record it and take it to the bank.

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-22-2010, 10:35 PM
I agree YARDGUY. only accepting cash is ridiculous. like u said...a real business has wayyy too many people to be chasing down everyday to get cash from. invoices are the only thing built for long-term weekly serviced customers. this way u can keeo track of what people owe or how many cuts you have done. like i said: leave a invoice like so: cut # 1of4. 2of4 3 of4 and on the 4of4 u write due upon reciept!! simple as that. after a while u only have to do 1 invoice a month, but at least u have the amount of work u have done to a specific customer all logged and written down if there are any problems of what they owe.(which rarely happens). the ONLY way a cash only business would work is if they left it in a spot everyweek. there is no way u can meet everyone every single time u cut there lawn. def a little sketchy that u dont take checks too

Jail Bird
05-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Gopher...it's like $125.00 and keeps it real simple

big acres
05-22-2010, 11:31 PM

Did it ever occur to you that she may either be:

A. Hitting on you?
B. A senior who's only company is the service people they use?

Sometimes these things are real factors.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ameye_zing lawn care
05-23-2010, 12:13 AM

I dont think so this lady sounds like a customer i use to have she did the same thing to me. But i do invoices and ect i charge monthly but u cant trust everyone just by sending them a invoice just right after a cut and what not just my opinion

rjh4758
05-23-2010, 01:34 AM
I dont ask the customer how they want to pay. If we have a service agreement you get a detailed invoice every month to be paid within 15 days. If it a one time thing like a planting or lawn renovation the customer pays in full upon completion... No exceptions.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner. This is how I do it as well. I had several that said " I will meet you when you come to mow and pay you." I flat out told them that I invoice monthly and they can pay me when they receive the invoice at the last service of the month or mail payment in 14 days. It is the best way to keep books straight and no chasing payments every week.

LCCaptain
05-24-2010, 10:10 PM
I don't do invoices unless they ask for them. I expect money at time of cut or soon after. I will not chase money anymore and I would surely not get a months worth of work invested and not get paid. I have a craiglister from L.A. stick me on the last cutting. I had to take pics of the property before and after I cut it, then email him the amount due and pics. Dolt, I don't blame you for dropping them. Let them be someone elses headache. Some customers act like they are you whole world and you have all the time in the world to wait for them or waste gas money to go back later to collect you money.

yardguy28
05-24-2010, 11:00 PM
I don't do invoices unless they ask for them. I expect money at time of cut or soon after. I will not chase money anymore and I would surely not get a months worth of work invested and not get paid. I have a craiglister from L.A. stick me on the last cutting. I had to take pics of the property before and after I cut it, then email him the amount due and pics. Dolt, I don't blame you for dropping them. Let them be someone elses headache. Some customers act like they are you whole world and you have all the time in the world to wait for them or waste gas money to go back later to collect you money.

an invoice serves more than the purpose of a way to collect the money. it is also the proof for when money is not received and you go to turn them over to the collection agency.

i don't know how many clients some of you but try collecting money at the time of service or soon after when your numbers are 40+ clients. and when 90% of your clients are at work between the hours of 8am and 5pm earning the money to pay you.

i can understand if you do this business part time or less not invoicing but if you do this for a living with 40+ clients it is much more time consuming to be getting the money at the time of service or shortly after. i don't have the time to be getting paid at the time of service. as soon as everything is cleaned up and the blower is back on the trailer, my butt is in the truck and driving to the next property. hell anymore even lunch is eaten while driving between jobs.