PDA

View Full Version : Mower blades

dolt
05-14-2010, 09:39 AM
I took my 21inch honda into place where i bought it as they said they will do first service for free . I asked him to check mower blades as they feel very blunt and rounded and if they need to be sharpened or replaced i understand that its not part of the service.Anyway i pick it up and checked the blades and they were not sharpened or replaced i ask why he said didnt sharpen them because of balance issues and they dont need new blades as they are are still in good shape ( i knew this but they are extremly blunt rounded.Now i have read alot on here about how important it is to have sharp blades so why would he not sharpen em? Also they tried to charge for service lol

Nosmo
05-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Well at least you got your first service at no charge even though they tried to charge you for it. Now are you sure they did any service work on the mower ? Such as change the oil and whatever else your manual would suggest.

Sounds like a pile of horsefeathers that guy was telling you about the blade and not wanting disturb your blunt feeling but OK blades because of balance issues. Brother what a crock of BS.

Take the blade off and sharpen it yourself and forget about that nerd doing it. What some of these places try to pull on people nowadays.

Nosmo

rainbowss
05-14-2010, 07:22 PM
It's not necessary to have a knife sharp blade. As I found out, if the blade is knife sharp, it will get dull very fast. As in first mow fast.

dolt
05-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Yeah im gonna have to do learn to do all this myself ( still new but i will get there ) . As i said they tried to charge me for the service and for new air filter $65 , but then they took of $35 because i said first service was free i was told when i purchased mower.checked the oil was fresh ,anyway i will have to start learning all this to do myself.

ajslands
05-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Changing your oil is easy! Mine takes 2 qts, idk what your thing will take, blade sharpenig is even easier! Go buy a balancer from the cheapo that does the first service free, and get an angle grinder. Bench grinder from him, and if you get the bench grinder, go from right to left, and with an angle grinder, pull toward you. And you only have one blade so it's not too bad for you, most guys have 3 just for one mower.
Posted via Mobile Device

dolt
05-15-2010, 04:09 AM
Changing oil and cleaning filters i have no prob with ( only took it to shop for them to do it as it was first service and for free ) never taken a mower blade of in my life but am soon going to have to learn to take of and sharpen or replace blades, my mower is a 21inch self propelled honda it has 4 small blades on a disc . When i purchased the mower two of the blades are high lift and other two are not , is that normal ? I asked at shop when they serviced mower and he said that is what they recommend.