PDA

View Full Version : New Custom Hand Tool Rack

Darryl G
05-14-2010, 11:25 AM
I just picked up my new custon hand tool rack. I'm tired of having all my shovels and rakes in the bed of my truck. It's pretty heavy duty - angle iron frame and channel steel for the tool holders. It's made to go on my open trailer, but I can probably figure out a way to mount it on my dump trailer too. It's a little crooked here and there, not that it really matters. My teenage son made it for me in metal shop at school.

tnmtn
05-14-2010, 03:18 PM
nice rack, your son did a great job. i'd definitly be proud especially that he made it.

Darryl G
05-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I am proud of him. He pretty much engineered it himself after I gave him the dimensions I wanted. He learned a bit in the process too, which is good. Couple little boo-boo's here and there. I guess he decided not to accomodate the short D-handled tools, but I don't use many of those. Not the neatest welds I've ever seen either, lol. Looking forward to mounting it with him this weekend.

We didn't really figure on my 36 inch landscape rake though, the handle is pretty long. The rack is going on the front outside of my trailer and the tools will just be supported by their heads. I'm afraid that one rake is gonna hang down too low and be at risk of hitting the ground...but it's not something I carry on a regular basis...my final grading rake. I kind of baby it...not even a bent tooth on it :)

93Chevy
05-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Looks good. I'd like something like that for the bed of my truck. I hate having tools all over the place.

M.A.Landscaping
05-24-2010, 09:02 AM
thats awesome, ive been looking for racks like that, all the others don't hold many tools.

Darryl G
05-24-2010, 09:16 PM
I actually mounted it on the truck and not the trailer like I originally planned. I mocked it up on both trailers though. I want to be able to easier switch it. Right now it's great to have on the truck for small mulching jobs where I'm not using a trailer. I think I better run a piece of angle iron along the top rail of the truck bed and attach it to that instead of just the sheetmetal though. The bottom is sitting on the fender well on a piece of angle iron. I'll have to snap some pics of it mounted and loaded with the tools I use most often.

Darryl G
05-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Here it is mounted and in use on the truck. It's working out well for doing the small loads of mulch. I've got 3 yards on board, 3 generous yards that is. It's nice not having to take all the tools out to get another load and then having to throw them on top of it. You do have to get onto the truck to get the tools though. That or climb up on the wheel. I am going to run a piece of angle iron across the top rail to distrbute the load a bit and reinforce it. There's just 2 bolts through the sheet metal there now, but the bottom is bolted in pretty good. Anyway, I like it. I can do most jobs with one I have in there and room to throw on the pick axes and prybars too.

M.A.Landscaping
05-25-2010, 10:27 AM
looking good, this may sound little redneck but i have fishing rod holders mounted on the inside of my wood sides i made for my truck to hold my rakes, shovels, etc. but it works. but like i said before i really like that rack.

Darryl G
05-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Nah, that's not redneck. Just today I was wondering if I could put the fishing rods in there, lol. Now if you had a shotgun mounted on yours, that would be nedneck!!!!

M.A.Landscaping
05-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Nah, that's not redneck. Just today I was wondering if I could put the fishing rods in there, lol. Now if you had a shotgun mounted on yours, that would be nedneck!!!!

lol its a dual purpose thing, for work and for play.