PDA

View Full Version : 18HP Honda Fastrak won't start

Mow4It
05-14-2010, 12:55 PM
I have two 18HP Honda / 44" Fastrak mowers. Both have about 250hrs each. I bought them one month apart, 6 years ago. The first one I bought has never given me a bit of trouble. The second one has been going through fits of not starting intermittently for the past two years. I can mow with it for an hour, shut it off and it won't restart 30 minutes later. Sometimes it will run a day, sit for 3-5 days and won't start. When I say it won't restart, it cranks fine, fires, but will not run. I don't believe it is a safety switch issue. Any ideas?

mowerconsultant
05-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Hmmm....
The first thing I think about with the model Honda engines you have is to check the carb vent line, dirt dobbers like to get in there / debris, if the vent line is plugged up it cant run properly and could cause it to not start.
Remove your air filter and housings and take a look at the carburetor you will see a plastic line coming off it that goes no where, remove that line and check it for obstruction.

Pj

Mow4It
05-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Ok, checked the line and it is clear. I'm leaning toward some type of electrical problem but not the coil. It will start and run fine 10 times then the next it won't start. It's a head scratcher.

mowerconsultant
05-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Ok, checked the line and it is clear. I'm leaning toward some type of electrical problem but not the coil. It will start and run fine 10 times then the next it won't start. It's a head scratcher.

In your first post you said "When I say it won't restart, it cranks fine, fires, but will not run."

"fires" made me think it ran, but not good.
Does it run? or not run at all? or crappy running?

Pj

MarcSmith
05-17-2010, 08:55 AM
intermittent safety switch gone bad with a loose ground wire?

Mow4It
05-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Won't run at all. I should have said the plugs are firing but will not start and run.

Mow4It
05-17-2010, 11:14 PM
intermittent safety switch gone bad with a loose ground wire?
I've checked them all and they show good even when it won't start. Also checked the grounds. It's definitely a phantom something! Drives me crazy.

mowerconsultant
05-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Hmmmm...
Compression is good on the cylinders?
I am still leaning towards fuel / carburetor....

Mow4It
05-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Compression is good. It has to be electrical or fuel. Running great everytime this week. Thanks for your help. I'll be back when it won't start again.

mowerconsultant
05-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Compression is good. It has to be electrical or fuel. Running great everytime this week. Thanks for your help. I'll be back when it won't start again.

Ok.
Let us know.

Pj

homemower
05-22-2010, 10:10 AM
The next time it fails ck the fuel solenoid and make sure it is working
One other place which just might be the answer is Ck the low oil shut-down connection and see if it is tight. It just has to be snug, over tightening will strip the threads. I have a Honda do just what you are saying
every now and then fail, hard start or run and quit.

voeg
05-29-2010, 07:56 PM
I had the same problem with my 18hp Honda earlier this year and everyone tried to sell me all kinds of expensive parts to fix it. What I finally figured out was that even though I had some fire to the plugs it was not enough to fire up the mower. I reajusted the gap on both magnitoes to .008 at the flywheel and it has not missed a beat in the last month.