PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Exmark Buffs

Krafty
05-14-2010, 02:56 PM
I bought a new to me exmark today. The story I was told when I bought it was that it had a bad head on the motor and the motor would need to be replaced. When I got there the motor started fine and ran and sounded great. The problem was it would not hardly even pull itself around on flat pavement. It didnt really sound like a motor problem to me more like a hydro problem. So I bought the thing and brought it back to the shop. After playing with it for a while I found these two little plugs or whatever on the hydro motors that were loose. I tightened them up and now she seems to run great. So my questions is what was this thing that I tightened, and here are a few pics, the last two are of the thing that I tightened up. I have always had ferris so I am lost with this one thanks for any help and let me know what you think of the mower.

beegreenlandcare
05-14-2010, 03:50 PM
You've gotta be kidding me!!!!
In essence you stole that machine if u got a discount for a bad motor!
Those "things" u tightened up are the hydro release valves. You loosen them so the machine can be rolled when the motor is not running. BTW, no damage was done by having them loose, its just that not all the fluid was being allowed to pass thru the pumps.
PS: how much did u get it for? What year? I'd ask hours but I know there's no hour mtr. on those. I have 1 just like it w/ a Kaw. 17 HP

Krafty
05-14-2010, 04:09 PM
hahahaha well good. I still have to go through it and check everything. I am going to change all the fluids and filters, and blades and it needs a grease job terribly. He said he was pretty sure it was an 06, but supposidly it has not run in a year and a half. Not sure on the hours like you said no hour meter. It broke the bank at $150.00!!!!

sharpcuts
05-15-2010, 12:56 AM
:dizzy: I am truly speechless.... I know that is a little older one than mine, but that machine cost around 5 G new. Why don't I ever run across these deals?:cry:

I MOW ALONE
05-15-2010, 01:39 AM
the stupidity of some people. thats a $3000 mower frikkin idiots one born every minute. anyway this is the steal of the century. good luck with it

Krafty
05-15-2010, 01:59 AM
the stupidity of some people. thats a $3000 mower frikkin idiots one born every minute. anyway this is the steal of the century. good luck with it

Gosh I sure hope so I am still a little leary though, I never find things like this, so I am still waiting for something to happen. We did a full service on it tonight and I will put a few hours on it tommorow and see how she does. I tell you what though, Ferris is really the only walkbehind I have ever put some hours on so it will be interesting running it tommorow. I am sure my guys will get some good entertainment out of it!! lol

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-15-2010, 02:13 AM
u lucky bastard! i wish this would happen to me. im gonna start checkin out so called "broken" mowers from now on! lol

Oldtimer
05-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Be sure to use an original Exmark hydro filter and Exmark hydro oil.

Go to the Exmark web site and download an owner's manual and parts manual.

If you have any questions about the mower send me a pm.

Oldtimer

PORTER 05
05-16-2010, 07:14 PM
thats awsome.

Krafty
05-17-2010, 12:44 AM
Be sure to use an original Exmark hydro filter and Exmark hydro oil.

Go to the Exmark web site and download an owner's manual and parts manual.

If you have any questions about the mower send me a pm.

Oldtimer

Thanks I will do. I ran it just a little bit today at the shop. It has been raining like crazy around here. Will let you guys know how she turns out!!

Lawnut101
05-17-2010, 12:57 AM
Wow........

driver5
05-17-2010, 01:11 AM
Im calling B.S.

Theres no way that was the problem.

Still callin B.S. but if its true.. Your one lucky Summmma*&^^&*((

you better be paying it forward for someone else pretty soon

Lucky *&^%^&*, that never happens to me

Hawg City Lawns
05-17-2010, 03:03 AM
holy cow man great find

demhustler
05-17-2010, 03:11 AM
be careful : most likely release valves been open to transport (roll) mower - because of engine problems
but even with engine repair (or replacement) - it's still good buy anyway

Richard Martin
05-17-2010, 05:44 AM
Dump valves. I had a Woods 36 that I bought used back in 1997. I was cutting along with it one day and suddenly the mower wouldn't hardly move. I took it to the Woods dealer and for $100 they "repaired" it. It was a flip type lever that would turn the valve on and off. They merely flipped it back "on" and charged me a sawbuck.

Very nice find!