PDA

View Full Version : Walker Speed up Kits

Ax Man
07-10-2002, 08:11 AM
I got my Walker last fall, and cleanup was impressive!
However it replaced a 60" zt and this spring it's speed was not.
Iv'e ordered a speed up kit (and suspension seat) and was hoping that this will be a simple installation.
If anyone has tips, could you reply?
Actually Iv'e been demoing some other ZT's and have found the only place the beat my walker is in the wide open flat sections, Which in my area account for about 30% of lawn areas.
So maybe I'll try a larger sd deck on it. (Iv'e got 48 ghs and 52 sd)
Thanks!:confused:

Brickman
07-10-2002, 09:30 AM
Speed up kit is very easy to install. You will notice a gain in speed, altho not as much as you might expect. Not more than 2 MPH. As for the suspension seat from the Walker dealer they are way over priced for what they do. I ordered one and put in on mine expecting a miracle. Didn't happen, the seat is better than the factory one, but I expected much more for the price they charge. It is a couple hour job for two guys. Mostly the second guy is your extra hands as needed for the times when three arms and hands would be nice.

MOW ED
07-10-2002, 09:37 AM
Like he said the speed up kit is simple. Pulley, and spring replacement. Its on top too, so its easy to get at.
I cut the same way that you do and I finally bought a 52SD with doubles and it is incredable. I used to use a 42GHS and a no catch deflector. The 42 is put away until fall. The 52 is a rock solid deck and cuts like crazy. The speed up kit and the deck have really cut my time.

pyrocare
07-10-2002, 08:56 PM
I was wondering if I could us the suspension seats that they sell at Norther Tools instead of paying the insane rates from Walker.

Currier
07-10-2002, 09:44 PM
Off topic but Walker related: I am finding tha my 42 ghs deck does not leave as nice a finished cut as my 48 ghs deck. I actually have to go slower with the 42 and it seems uneven, or that the edges of the deck are not cutting adequately. Both decks are new this year. Weird. Or maybe I'm just finding something to be picky about?

Ax Man
07-10-2002, 10:41 PM
Hey, Thanks for the responses!
I didn't realize the price that Walker is asking for the seat or I'd have been all over that Northern tools one!
Think they'd take it back (special order)

southside
07-11-2002, 10:26 AM
Even with the speed up kit,they are not a particularly fast mower.
As for the suspension seat,yes they are way overpriced for what they do.Better to look towards an after market unit. Bear in mind that Walker,like most manufacturers out source items like seats,
tyres and other items.

Currier,
With the smaller cut width(42"-48") the smaller deck has a lower
blade tip speed. Whether it's feasible to run double blades,I'm
not sure.The Walker dealer here says it's not.

Brickman
07-12-2002, 09:40 AM
Currier you are so right. The 42 GHS does NOT do as good of job as the 48 GHS. However the 42 mulch deck with the double blades does a great job in my mind, almost as good as the 48 GHS.

If I had known about the Northern seats I would NOT have paid the out rageous price the Walker dealer was asking. Too late now.