PDA

View Full Version : Z920a

firebox700
05-14-2010, 06:07 PM
So, I currently have a Z510a and it's a piece of shat! Nothing but problems. The dealer is working with me and trying to get me out of the Z510a. My salesman is a great guy and I trust him and so far he has gotten JD to help me out as well as his dealership. To make a long story short.... He has worked out a deal to get me in to a 2010 Z920a with a 54" deck. My question is, does anyone currently have this model and if so what are your thoughts and opinions. thanks in advance!

LawnMowerKing10
05-14-2010, 06:44 PM
A lot of people like that mower. I have no personal experience with it.

trook
05-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I just bought a 925 with the 60" 27hp. I don't have many hours on it yet, but so far so good. I have nothing but good things to say about it.

QualityLawnCare4u
05-14-2010, 07:25 PM
From what I have read and heard the 900 series has been a good mower. However, they are still new and until they get some hours there is no way of knowing for sure.

firebox700
05-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Well, they let me demo the Z925 60" 27hp for the day. Well let me tell you....that thing is nice! There is no comparison to the POS i have now! I also demo'd a Toro 27hp 60" last week and my personal opinion is the JD is much better. More responsive, sticks to hills and the 7 Iron Pro deck is the bomb!! It leaves a great finish and stripes great without a striping kit! Although I'am probably getting the Z920a 54", he said there wasn't any difference other than the deck size and it has a 26hp instead of the 27hp Kawasaki. Plus the bagger that I have on my Z510a will fit on the Z920! I'm glad that the dealer is working with me and is standing behind the product. Now the only question is....should I spring for the suspension seat? I'm thinking HELL YEAH!!

mowerbrad
05-15-2010, 05:51 PM
I've got a 925 with 54" MOD and have been very pleased with it. If you are running the JD MCS (collection system) then it will take quite a bit of power to run. Mine does just fine with running my MCS, the only time it really bogs down is on steep hills, which is typical with the majority of mowers. The 27hp on mine loves gas, I've figured it uses about 2gph...and thats with almost 20 hours on the mower.

Now as far as the suspension kit goes, it will surely make your ride a little smoother. It is just an add on to the original seat, not as good as the full suspension seat but definately something that will smooth the ride out. I don't have the suspension kit on mine and right now I don't really think I need it. The seat is already really thick so it takes alot of the bumps out of the ride. I just didn't see a need for it. But hey, if you want to spend the money and really feel the need, then by all means do it. Heck, I bought the headlight kit just so I can use them the last few weeks in the fall.

trook
05-15-2010, 06:41 PM
As far as the 27hp engine on the 925 is concerned, JD told me that it has much more torque than the 26hp that is on the 920 model.

MJB
05-15-2010, 07:11 PM
I've got a 925 with 54" MOD and have been very pleased with it. If you are running the JD MCS (collection system) then it will take quite a bit of power to run. Mine does just fine with running my MCS, the only time it really bogs down is on steep hills, which is typical with the majority of mowers. The 27hp on mine loves gas, I've figured it uses about 2gph...and thats with almost 20 hours on the mower.

Now as far as the suspension kit goes, it will surely make your ride a little smoother. It is just an add on to the original seat, not as good as the full suspension seat but definately something that will smooth the ride out. I don't have the suspension kit on mine and right now I don't really think I need it. The seat is already really thick so it takes alot of the bumps out of the ride. I just didn't see a need for it. But hey, if you want to spend the money and really feel the need, then by all means do it. Heck, I bought the headlight kit just so I can use them the last few weeks in the fall.
=======================================
I wonder why it burns so much gas? My Exmark has the 28hp Kawasaki on it and it stays below 1.5 gph thats running a 60" mulching deck. I've heard this from several people so I am not doubting you, just don't understand the excessive fuel usage.

trook
05-15-2010, 08:32 PM
I only have 10 hours on my 27hp kawasaki 925, but it seems to burn close to 2 gallons per hour as well.

SouthSide Cutter
05-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Most of these people that talk about the fuel usage I take with a grain of salt. All Iam saying is drain the tank put .6 or 1.5 what ever they say they get in the tank then cut for 1hr total wot in a normal yard that needs cut and it will run out of gas period.

mowerbrad
05-15-2010, 09:19 PM
=======================================
I wonder why it burns so much gas? My Exmark has the 28hp Kawasaki on it and it stays below 1.5 gph thats running a 60" mulching deck. I've heard this from several people so I am not doubting you, just don't understand the excessive fuel usage.

I know that JD has engines that are specific to their mowers, because to get replacement engines you usually have to order through JD. They may be kawasaki but Deere changes them just enough that they make them "their's", so that may have something to do with the fuel efficiency of the mowers.

I can understand using more fuel when I'm running my collection system since it puts a little more strain on the engine, but my fuel economy seems to be about the same whether I'm running the bagger, discharging or mulching.

williams lcm
05-15-2010, 09:39 PM
I have a JD with the 27hp Kaw 54 inch deck and it is great on gas. I use about 5 Gallons every 8 hrs of use on average.

trook
05-15-2010, 09:43 PM
I have a JD with the 27hp Kaw 54 inch deck and it is great on gas. I use about 5 Gallons every 8 hrs of use on average.

WOW!!! A full tank on my 925 27/60 (11.5 gallons) only lasts me about 6 hours. Maybe it will get better as I use it more. I don't know.... :confused:

mowerbrad
05-15-2010, 09:57 PM

Are you talking about a Z925A as well or a different model?

JCLawn and more
05-15-2010, 10:21 PM
I looked at JD and said, there is no freeking way I am going to work on this nightmare when it breaks, so I have not looked at one since. That was a diesel model though. My 721D grasshopper is simple.

rcslawncare
05-16-2010, 12:54 AM
Mine is about 2gph,and its got 40 hours to date. Still, best mower IMO. Thinking about the striping kit to make some of the nicer accounts pop! And the suspension seat addition.

williams lcm
05-16-2010, 09:07 AM
I have an 08 Z830a 27hp Kaw and 54 inch deck. It should use the same amount of gas as the 2010 900 series. Maybe having a larger deck draws more gas. You would not think having a larger deck size would do that.

Lawn by Deere
05-16-2010, 09:49 PM
WOW!!! A full tank on my 925 27/60 (11.5 gallons) only lasts me about 6 hours. Maybe it will get better as I use it more. I don't know.... :confused:

Holy Crap :dizzy: my z970 (37 HP w/72") does better than that!!

ramcat
05-16-2010, 10:39 PM
we have 68.7 hours on our Z950 and it sucks the fuel....it takes all of 2 gallons per hour....probably four times the amount of diesel our X748 takes with the same 7-iron deck and mulch kit

firebox700
05-16-2010, 10:54 PM
So does anyone have the z920? Do you like it? Is the 26hp kawi enough power? Pros cons......
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Rain
05-17-2010, 11:38 AM
we have 68.7 hours on our Z950 and it sucks the fuel....it takes all of 2 gallons per hour....probably four times the amount of diesel our X748 takes with the same 7-iron deck and mulch kit

Isn't that kind of a apples/oranges comparison? A diesel tractor vs. a gas ZTR? The diesel is obviously more fuel efficient and the ZTR is obviously more productive in acres/hr. Two different animals.

dozerdawg
05-17-2010, 12:52 PM
i just got my z950 60" standard deck and let me say it is one hell of a zero turn! It gives new meaning to green machine!! Fast, responsive...Very responsive, and the cut is perfect!! one yard use to take me an hr and 45 mins. by myself on my 757 60" to cut trim and edge. everything the same except using the 950 60" i saved at least 30 mins. and i took my time on some areas bc of some bumps and the grass being thicker. I wasn't too excited about spending that much money but, when i used it on the first job i was over it and cant wait to cut again this week!!!

ucfbrian
05-17-2010, 04:18 PM
I know that JD has engines that are specific to their mowers, because to get replacement engines you usually have to order through JD. They may be kawasaki but Deere changes them just enough that they make them "their's", so that may have something to do with the fuel efficiency of the mowers.

John Deere is what Kawasaki calls a Self Servicing OEM. That means that they handle everything to do with that engine theirself including warranty. Some of the Deere engines are the same as other manfacturers engines but there is no way to look up the Kawasaki part numbers for the John Deere engine. Even when you call Kawasaki direct they do not want to help you, they tell you to call John Deere. That is the way John Deere has set up their agreement with Kawasaki. Most of any changes you will see on say a 27hp engine is air cleaner type, starter, and crankshaft size differences.

ramcat
05-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Isn't that kind of a apples/oranges comparison? A diesel tractor vs. a gas ZTR? The diesel is obviously more fuel efficient and the ZTR is obviously more productive in acres/hr. Two different animals.

Yes its apples to oranges i was just stating the approximate difference between the two...sorry about that, but i really wish they would just make a mid or smaller framed diesel than the 997....that we could actually put a normal bagger on :cry:

firebox700
05-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Well it's official! John Deere and my dealer bought me out of my Z510a and my new
Z920a is ordered and it should be delivered in approximately 10 days! Plus I got the suspension seat! I can't wait!!!!

magilla12
05-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Congrats, I ordered a Z925A last week. Let us know about the suspesion seat.

firebox700
05-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Dealer said I should have it by next week. I also just ordered a power chute for it!

firebox700
05-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Well I got the new mower yesterday! Didn't have much chance to mess with it as we were leaving to go camping a couple hours after I picked it up. Either way I cant wait to get back and try it out on my own lawn! Hopefully my power chute will be in by Monday. I will post some pictures when I get home tomorrow.