PDA

View Full Version : Spike aerator OK to use during over seeding project

1966vette
05-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Iím in the week 7 of over seeding an acre with KBG project.
The KBG is starting to come up but it is too thin in many areas and the weeds are starting to take hold. I want to apply more KBG seed tomorrow but I am also seeking improved soil to seed contact. I have a pull behind spike aerator with 100# of weight. I was thing about using it on the newly germinated seed beds that are too thin.

Here are my questions:
1. Will the ZTR & spike aerator harm the newly germinated KBG?

2. What is the best way to add more seed to newly germinated lawn w/o harming the new seed plants?

3. A few areas have been taken over by crab grass & I was planning on tilling it & reseeding.

Does anyone have a better idea? Iím not too proud to take advice!

Thanks in advance for helping!
Andy

jnt412
05-19-2010, 02:24 PM
This is my opinion...

1. Yes, the weight of the mower alone will harm the new grass..

2. Perhaps a push spreader with the hopper half full or less.

3. Personally, I don't use spike aerators. With a yard your size I would have used a tow-plug aerator on the ZTR Mower or maybe a slit seeder. Spikes don't open the hole wide enough and not too effective on hard soil.

1966vette
05-19-2010, 11:12 PM
I pulled a spike aerator w/ a ZTR to punch holes in the soil for the new seed w/o harming the new grass. This worked well on the dry soil. Check out this pic.

bigslick7878
05-20-2010, 12:51 AM
I pulled a spike aerator w/ a ZTR to punch holes in the soil for the new seed w/o harming the new grass. This worked well on the dry soil. Check out this pic.

I fail to see what exactly a hole the size of a nail that will close up in a few days will accomplish.

Do it right with a core aerator.