PDA

View Full Version : Help! When to use ZTR vs WB

Jimbo
07-10-2002, 08:48 AM
Hi Everyone,

This might sound dumb to some... Im not sure.

I have a 52" ZTR, and a 36" WB. Obviously if I have a property with a small gate I would choose the WB, and if I have a large open yard I would use the ZTR.
However I have some yards right in the middle that I still find myself using the WB on, and I am not sure why. I think becuase they seem small, or maybe becuase the ZTR is louder, and seems much bigger?

Also, If I have to bag then it's the WB.

How do you decide which mower to use. When is the ZTR to much?

Clint
07-10-2002, 12:44 PM
I dont have a ztr, just a 36" metro, i would use the ztr as much as i could, you payed for it

Richard Martin
07-10-2002, 05:08 PM
I use my 60" Dixie Chopper on anything it will fit on. It'll absolutely rip through a 1/5 acre lawn.

mdb landscaping
07-10-2002, 06:32 PM
I use the rider on anything but hills. If you can fit it on the yard, use the rider.

Jimbo
07-10-2002, 11:49 PM
Thanks guys. It just seems like the residentials have more trees and junk to mow around, but I will try to use the ZTR more even on the small lots.

Pelican
07-10-2002, 11:56 PM
My ZTR is a 61" and while it will physicallywork on almost any yard I do, there are some lawns that I only use the walkbehind. If the lawn is small and requires a lot of maneuvering, I use the walkbehind, as well as on lawns which are a bit rough. The ZTR tears up the turf too much with the back tires on small lawns and will scalp on rougher lawns. I'm more concerned with quality of cut than I am the time element.

Jimbo
07-11-2002, 12:12 AM
Pelican,

Thats a good way of explaining my delima. The same things go through my head when I am out mowing. Maybe I think about it too much when my mind wanders while mowing.

I think about all kinds of stuff, but thats another topic.

Pelican
07-11-2002, 12:43 AM
I've stated before and have been slammed that a walkbehind can provide a better quality of cut under more conditions than a ZTR. This is where I feel a lawn care professional can outshine a gypsy in making the right selection. My goal is to provide my customers with the best lawn service I can and this is achieved by choosing the proper equipment.

TLS
07-11-2002, 12:47 AM
My Lazer gives such a better cut than my walkbehind, and at better speeds, I find my smaller lawns look better when cut with the Lazer. Now if its only a small 2000 sqft front yard with many trees and beds, then the WB gets the nod.