PDA

View Full Version : Mowing Frequency in Drought Areas

SIG
07-10-2002, 09:22 AM
Any of you Maryland or other drought stricken mowers out there. Just wondering how often you are mowing right now. I have still been around 10 days, but it is starting to get real bad. Just curious what you others are doing during this mess?

sgtgm5
07-10-2002, 09:44 AM
your doing good at ten, I pushed everything to 14 days,

dhicks
07-10-2002, 09:58 AM
I'm cutting about every 12-14 days. With the rains last night, perhaps mowing will pick up.

rvsuper
07-10-2002, 10:36 AM
We got two inches of rain last night, otherwise we would have been mowing about every 14-15 days.

DLCS
07-10-2002, 02:30 PM
We got 1.25" rainfall Monday night so hopefully we will start mowing all are customers weekly again. We had to skip few last week. I'm not sure if the rainfall we got this week will make much difference though.

Firefighter Dave
07-10-2002, 02:40 PM
This year I started off slowly, working out of my truck and just a push mower. The things I have learned. The weather plays a big part of this job. I have 10 regular / weekly customers and the last two weeks I have only been able to cut 4 of them. Only three of my customers water thier lawn. It makes me think twice about doing this full blown.

Dave

:blob2: :blob2:

Richard Martin
07-10-2002, 04:05 PM
Yup, it's dry here in the Annapolis area too. Since everybody's on a well sprinkler systems are far and few. I only have 1 lawn left on a weekly schedule (the one customer with sprinklers). The rest are mostly on 2 week schedules with a few that haven't been touched in 3 weeks.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
07-10-2002, 04:11 PM
same here in southern md every 14 days or so

SLS
07-10-2002, 06:21 PM
We were on 'the verge' of drought but then it starting back with the isolated thunderstorms last wed. WHEW! I knew cancellations were imminent.......then "bang"...money pouring out of the Heavens again. :)

Drought is not all that uncommon here in Middle Tennessee during July and August. Last year was a bit novel in that we got enough showers to not have to stop until the middle of September...and did not resume until mid-October...VERY wierd!

Kept regular mowing into the first week of December.

The year before that (2000) was normal...did not mow a single lawn for 6 weeks in a row! (last week of June until 3rd week of August). It was my first year 'full-time' and it about nearly knocked me out of the biz. :eek:

Another LCO I'm friends with warned me about the "dry spells" here before I took the leap. He's been at it for about 15 years and told me that about 6 or 7 years ago was the worst he'd experienced....13 weeks with no mowing...3 months! I remembered it because the tobacco farmers were hammered badly, the reservoirs, creeks, streams, and rivers were running VERY low (if at all), and water was being restricted in some areas. :cry:

I hope all of you guys that are drying up get some of the 'juice' real soon....and don't give up!

Turf Ranger
07-10-2002, 11:56 PM
i know what this is all like... last year we went through 2 big droughts.... we were on the verge of 1 this week but we just got a nice storm.... anyways hope it turns out alright for you guys

Smartgene
07-11-2002, 06:49 AM
Here in Michigan, we've hard virtually no rain in 5 or 6 weeks. I'd say about 30% of my lawns are burned to the point where we skip em periodically. The others are watered and fertilized. Listen to this story yesterday. Guy and his wife call for an estimate. I got off work early around 2 so I went over for the estimate. He just had sod installed 3 weeks ago along with sprinklers. He goes on vacation with the sprinklers going off like 4 times a day. He returns from vacation to find very, very tall grass. He gets it cut somehow with someone's mower, but left a lot of uncut grass in places. I go over and note that the sod in drenched in water and a walkbehind would really tear it up. I tell him I'll cut it with a 21" and quote him a really sweet price because I'm under the impression we are going to be his reeagular service. We came back sameday to cut and did a great, great job in awful conditions. When the wife comes out to pay us, she informs us that hubby may cut the grass himself, she'll call if she needs us. She pays us by check and includes no tip. I was heated.

Firefighter Dave
07-11-2002, 06:59 AM
Sounds like hubby might have hired you without asking the wife first? Maybe..... I do stuff like that sometimes and then my wife sets me straight...

Dave

David Haggerty
07-11-2002, 07:56 AM
July 4th: Customers went from a 5 day schedule to a 10 day schedule! If it don't start rainin' they're going to 14 days!

Sprinkler systems are nonexistent here. Originally I think this area was a rain forest growing in a swamp!

I've seen years where I mowed straight thru August on a 7 day schedule. Other years in August I didn't cut anything at all.
I just try to respond to conditions. I like to avoid "customer input" about over mowing the grass.

"customer input" =:blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

I guess if I were paying what some of these people have to pay per cut I'd get concerned too. ;)

Dave

mikal
07-12-2002, 12:47 AM
just went from two weeks to three weeks if things dont change. Even then there will only be weeds to cut. I have never seen drought happen like this ( from green to brown in twelve to forteen days) I m getting kinda scared about my bills. Please God if your listening bring us some rain.

brucec32
07-12-2002, 12:48 AM
No Tip? We're supposed to get tips?

TheMom
07-12-2002, 01:05 AM
Don't put your fingers under your mowing deck to see if the blades are rotating.

:D

Shawn Burns
07-12-2002, 05:43 AM
We have some lawns that have been 6 weeks without cutting. Some of them look a little shaggy, but it will just hurt them worse to cut them now.
We finally got some rain over the last couple of days. Some of the grass is turning back green, but still not growing.
Looks like it will be a busy fall with all the seeding that will have to be done.