PDA

View Full Version : exmark metro, random.

BRENTMAN
05-14-2010, 10:06 PM
I keep seeing people selling metro walk behinds that are close to brand new, with hardly any use on them. Do these mowers suck or something? Or are guys buying them and finding out it doesn't perform the way they need?

Anyone know why people buy these mowers just to sell them shortly after?

Maybe its just a coincidence, idk, but I've seen 3 so far in the last week on craigslist here that say "bought brand new in april" or "only 40 hours on mower!"

DLAWNS
05-15-2010, 12:02 AM
I have an Exmark Metro 32" and I love it. Not sure why so many are selling that quickly.

BRENTMAN
05-15-2010, 12:17 AM
can you elaborate on that? I'd consider grabbing one if I had some insight on them, and if they arent shoddy. Can you put a sulky on one?
Someone told me its because its more of a home-owner's mower, and not so great for a company. Is this accurate?

MikeKle
05-15-2010, 12:21 AM
No, an exmark metro is a commercial mower, just not a hydro. I have one that I bought brand new back in 2003 and it is great, still runs and I use it often, but hydros have kinda spoiled me for gear drives, but I will never sell mine! The only think I can think of is maybe they are stolen or they got a really good deal and now are trying to make some money on them?

BRENTMAN
05-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Yeah i'd much prefer a hydro, but for the right price it may be a good buy. Unless its stolen like you said. I'm not sure. I just have noticed that lately and was wondering if something was up.

does it cut well? how is the handling on it

fredmullegun
05-15-2010, 12:43 AM
not one thing about it is homeowner. One of the best fixed deck/gear drive you can buy.
Posted via Mobile Device

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-15-2010, 01:17 AM
not homeowner at all. i just got a metro 48" and absolutely love it. wayy better than my gravely and toro in all aspects. been reliable and ECS is very comfortable and easy to control. have nothing but good things to say about this mower so far. i woudlnt listen to the person who told u that a metro is a homeowner mower at all anymore because they have no clue what they are talking about

BRENTMAN
05-15-2010, 01:26 AM
thanks for the info guys

BRENTMAN
05-15-2010, 01:28 AM
I see you have the catcher and velke on yours...hows it do with the velke?
Also, hows the catcher hold up?

MikeKle
05-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Metros do fine with velkes, as long as you are normal weight. I used a 2 wheel velke on mine, and it had no problems at all, but it wouldnt pull me up some hills, but that I kind of expected from a gear drive too. If it is a small deck, you may have to add weights, but other than that, they will pull a velke around all day long!

blakerugg
05-15-2010, 01:48 AM
not homeowner at all. i just got a metro 48" and absolutely love it. wayy better than my gravely and toro in all aspects. been reliable and ECS is very comfortable and easy to control. have nothing but good things to say about this mower so far. i woudlnt listen to the person who told u that a metro is a homeowner mower at all anymore because they have no clue what they are talking about

i second this. i have a brand new 36" and i absolutely love everything about it.

hamiltonlawncare
05-15-2010, 11:21 AM
I bought a used 48" metro 5-6 yrs ago its been great stripes pretty good bought it for about $1400 w/ velke changing oil and greasing it and it'll looks like she'll go a lot lot longer best $$ i've spent so far

tallimeca
05-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Best gear drives on the market. They haven't really changed anything about these is a long long time except for engine options. If people are selling them off, jump at it. 36 new with the new 16hp kawi sells for 3200 bucks.

Velkes are hard on ANY GEARDRIVE MOWER.......especially on the 5 speed peerless trannies. Most of those trans fail because guys shift on the fly and leave them in gear on the trailor to keep them from rolling.

BRENTMAN
05-16-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm going to grab one probably.
I have a guy selling a 48 with only about 10 hours on it, basically brand new.
I'm pretty confident he'd let it go for $2k - $2.5k cash for it.

BRENTMAN
05-16-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure if I want to grab this metro, or spend the extra $ and get perhaps a navigator or something of the sort....

Jay Ray
05-16-2010, 02:25 PM
No, an exmark metro is a commercial mower, just not a hydro. I have one that I bought brand new back in 2003 and it is great, still runs and I use it often, but hydros have kinda spoiled me for gear drives, but I will never sell mine! The only think I can think of is maybe they are stolen or they got a really good deal and now are trying to make some money on them?

I bought a new Metro 32 in early 2004 and used it most of the time for a couple of years, then going to bigger wb's. Really it is still a near perfect mower, but all I do is take depreciation on it and use it once in a great while. Goes off of the write-off list soon. Maybe I'll try to sell it then. Probably not though. Soon as I sold it another good gate lawn would appear.

Richard Martin
05-16-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm going to be the contrarian here. I had a 36" Metro. It's a gear drive mower. I've had 2 others. A Gravely which I hated and my current Ferris 36 GD. The Exmark is the equal of my Ferris. Anything was better than my Gravely. They both cut grass the same. The Exmark gets a slight edge over the Ferris in user controls. The Ferris gets a large edge for having greasable spindles. I got tired of replacing the Exmark non greasable spindles. As time went on and the hours built up on the Exmark little things started going wrong with it. The deck cracked. Safeties started going bad. I traded it for a 8.5 by 16 trailer and went and bought another mower.

The Exmark Metro is just a mower. Nothing more. Nothing less. Any gear drive 36" mower will probably do just as good a job of cutting grass as the Exmark Metro.

MikeKle
05-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Metros are built pretty bullet proof in my opinion but the only thing I dont like about them is how you have to change the rear deck height, that is a PITA and takes forever. I may try to fab something so it can be changed easier, maybe make it a semi-floating deck? Thankfully mine has the pistol grips and not the annoying ECS! My tranny does make a whiny noise now and then, but I usually just adjust the engine to tranny belt and it goes away. They are great mowers in my opinion, and I only paid $3200. for it brand new! Also it still has the original blade belt, which is in fine shape and all tires are original. I have taken really good care of this mower since I bought it though, I am almost fanatical about the air filters, greasing and oil changes!!

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-16-2010, 04:34 PM
I see you have the catcher and velke on yours...hows it do with the velke?
Also, hows the catcher hold up?

i rarely use the catcher....but the velke is awesome. the 15hp kawi pulls me along just fine. even up hills. this mower is the balls. ill never buy another brand (exmark)of walk-behind just because i like the ECS controls. the catcher is really nice>>accelerator industries makes really nice stuff. its lighter than most catchers out there too. can pick it up with 1-2 fingers.

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Metros are built pretty bullet proof in my opinion but the only thing I dont like about them is how you have to change the rear deck height, that is a PITA and takes forever. I may try to fab something so it can be changed easier, maybe make it a semi-floating deck? Thankfully mine has the pistol grips and not the annoying ECS! My tranny does make a whiny noise now and then, but I usually just adjust the engine to tranny belt and it goes away. They are great mowers in my opinion, and I only paid $3200. for it brand new! Also it still has the original blade belt, which is in fine shape and all tires are original. I have taken really good care of this mower since I bought it though, I am almost fanatical about the air filters, greasing and oil changes!!

not to steal the thread... but what dont u like about the ECS? youre the first person ive ever heard say something bad about ECS. IMO pistol grips blow. i absolutely hate my gravely pistol grips. they blister ur hands and are alot harder to muscle around. ill never buy another t-bar or pistol grip mower gain. The ecs is alot more comfortable and u will find this out by simply pulling the levers. also the clutch system is WAYY easier to use while shifting gears. the only thing that could be annoying about the ecs is the "locking brake levers" that sooner or later come loose and start "catching" the levers. its as simple as tighttening a bolt to make that stop

BRENTMAN
05-16-2010, 08:08 PM
i rarely use the catcher....but the velke is awesome. the 15hp kawi pulls me along just fine. even up hills. this mower is the balls. ill never buy another brand (exmark)of walk-behind just because i like the ECS controls. the catcher is really nice>>accelerator industries makes really nice stuff. its lighter than most catchers out there too. can pick it up with 1-2 fingers.

does the catcher hold quite a bit?

JDExmark
05-18-2010, 08:34 AM
i think it tends to fall into the category of "lower end commercial mower" for some reason, maybe because its gear drive ...maybe because some of the components are not over engineered to survive a bomb blast...or maybe because you can get a great price point if you look hard enough... personally i think its a great machine for the money

but certainly not a homeowner grade machine....

BRENTMAN
05-18-2010, 08:36 AM
i was just laughing because now that I think of it, the dude who told me that was also fired from two different lco's....

JDExmark
05-18-2010, 08:45 AM
my dealer specifically said not to use a velke (not designed to handle it)... which makes sense... although you can probably get away with it... worse case scenario you replace transmission early if you must do it...maybe limit it to when your tired or something

personally i'm not doing it - it can be debated forever with no final outcome - comes down to you

khutch
05-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Metro was my first mower - Great cut - Loved the ECS, not sure what the guy's beef was, I agree, finding someone who does NOT like ECS is rare.
Being my first mower, I didn't know how great Hydro was going to be. Metro pulled me (165 lbs) with a ProSlide great, no tranny issues. HATED height adjustment, but if you are not changing heights, doing all the same types of grass, no problem. I think it's a very, very good mower, great bang for the $!

Walk Behind Metro
05-26-2010, 05:51 PM
My metro 26 is a p.o.s. . It is 5 years old and sucks as bad now as it did the first day i brought it home.

Overpriced junk. And dont get me started on customer service. Head of customer service for exmark paul jergins and i had a conversation not an hour ago. His contention is that no mower should be expected to cut more than 1 inch of bermuda on walk speed other than 1st!!!! Lol. With all the accessories it is getting close to two thousand bucks. It will not do anything a wal mart mower wont!!! Same chump who reccomended that i mow twice a week!!

jvanvliet
05-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Got a Metro 36 with 13HP kawasaki... It's a work horse, never had a major problem. I have a mulching kit on it & the cut is fantastic. Great for smaller yards! I'd Love to put a velke on it but I don't think the belt drive will hold up to my 230lbs. Besides I need the excersise

FastMan
05-26-2010, 06:57 PM
What deck is on it?

blakerugg
05-26-2010, 08:36 PM
My metro 26 is a p.o.s. . It is 5 years old and sucks as bad now as it did the first day i brought it home.

Overpriced junk. And dont get me started on customer service. Head of customer service for exmark paul jergins and i had a conversation not an hour ago. His contention is that no mower should be expected to cut more than 1 inch of bermuda on walk speed other than 1st!!!! Lol. With all the accessories it is getting close to two thousand bucks. It will not do anything a wal mart mower wont!!! Same chump who reccomended that i mow twice a week!!

metro 26 has had a bad rep on here if you had researched. also they are in no way related to the bigger (32+ inch) metros.

What deck is on it?

if youre referring to the larger metros (again, 32+ inches) its the trivantage deck

FastMan
05-27-2010, 03:39 PM
if youre referring to the larger metros (again, 32+ inches) its the trivantage deck

Was just wondering if they'd changed them since I bought mine 4 years ago. Guess not. I cursed that deck the whole time I had my metro. Grass build up,,, clumping,,, terrible in tall grass. So glad to get rid of it this year, and so happy with my new Toro turbo force. The turbo force just blows the trivantage away.

fredmullegun
05-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Was just wondering if they'd changed them since I bought mine 4 years ago. Guess not. I cursed that deck the whole time I had my metro. Grass build up,,, clumping,,, terrible in tall grass. So glad to get rid of it this year, and so happy with my new Toro turbo force. The turbo force just blows the trivantage away.

That is weird. I mow my ditch with mine and it destoys tall grass even in the wet.

FastMan
05-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Fred, I'm guessing it's simply a matter of different grass types. I get into a lot of rough cutting situations up here, and much of it consists of tough/spindly wild flowers and weeds. With my metro I'd often have to go over the same area 4 times before I'd get it cut clean. That's with sharp blades too. Frustrating and time wasting as hell. I took my new turbo force out a couple days ago to do a place that hadn't been mowed in 3 years. It was almost perfect after the first cut.

It was for good reason I spent all last summer demoing different mowers. Deck reviews found here on lawnsite are a good starting point, but when it comes right down to it they're only as good as the grass type they're based on.

fredmullegun
05-27-2010, 06:59 PM
I had a small problem with spindly weeds until I dropped the blades with respect to the deck. the deck was pushing the weeds over and keeping the blades from cutting them. this might have been the issue you had.

In tough or super thick high grass it does not even bog and leaves a super clean cut.

blakerugg
05-27-2010, 09:35 PM

really? i havent had a single problem with choking it up or too much build up or anything.

also, bear in mind that the turbo force is basically the equiv of the ultra cut 6 from exmark (i think) so i guess you could say comparing the trivantage to the turbo/ultra cut is like comparing apples to oranges. anyway, glad to hear youve found the machine that fits your needs, but again in new england the metro serves me fine.