PDA

View Full Version : Things you hate most about this.

MileHigh
05-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Post the things that you just would rather not have to deal with each day cutting...pertaining to the maintenance guys.

Here are some of mine.

trimming
edging
cleaning up
running out of line
trimming (i know it's already up there)
customers that come outside each and every week your there:dizzy:
mowing in the rain
heat
grass in my eyes
grass on my pants
grass on my sunglasses
grass on my everything
dog shirt on my mower tires
trimming
trimming
the first account always makes me hungry
the last four resis of the day:dizzy:
accounts I underbid
stupid people

there more...i'm just to tired to think.

93Chevy
05-14-2010, 11:28 PM
I hate not having a shop big enough where I can store my trailer. Get done with my full time job for the day, rush over, hook up my trailer, rush to the shop, load up the trailer, and start. I hate getting ready to mow. Everything else I just take it as it is.

Cboy7
05-14-2010, 11:51 PM
I dont like every aspect of the business but wow, At the end of the week like this , I take a nice deposit to the bank, thank the good Lord I have a job and I go have me some free time. yeeeeeeooooooooww

dhunterd08
05-14-2010, 11:55 PM
the things you listed just made me laugh, because i can identify with each one. The worst has to be grass inside shirt, wind only blows when i am blowing everything off and in opposite direction of way i am blowing, underbided customers who are analy about everything, and having to clean under deck while in the field

Cboy7
05-15-2010, 12:01 AM
me walking home from bank
http://api.ning.com/files/Uj8HAWN2ACdWKxFTlF8fa8EC-ARSzmFbeP-OBeKwfAfeL4XpLBXpFZk087kJ5JVhRNoVIZMeSRoHVGiz5DGu7OQ7oPR5FxaT/Hoorah.jpg

David C.
05-15-2010, 12:02 AM
There's a couple of residentials who have slopeing yards down to the lake-----can't get to them with the Z----must use trimmer and push mower

fiveoboy01
05-15-2010, 12:12 AM
I like everything about it.

If I had one big beef it would be mowing wet grass. Clumps, clogs the deck and sticks to everything.

tstutz
05-15-2010, 12:34 AM
I would have to say grass and weeds all over my left pant leg while im trimming! I also dont like the time i spend straping and unloading/loading the trailor.

SNAPPER MAN
05-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Residential....I'm hoping in two or three years to be doing mainly commercial and high end residential. Regular residential blows because there is a ton of competition and no one wants to pay ****.

mowerbrad
05-15-2010, 01:07 AM
Here's my list....

-Excessive trimming
-running over doggy "landmines"
-strapping/unstrapping equipment on the trailer
-bagging when I could be mulching, but because the customer would have an M.I. if I didn't collect the grass
-coming upon a snake in a lawn
-running out of mix in the middle of the day
-paying the fuel bill to fill up the truck and mower
-emptying a trailer full of grass that has sat for more than 8 hours
-unexpected problems in the middle of the day
-not being able to find a parking spot near the account when neighbor's are having parties or garage sales.
-children's toys that are left in the lawn week after week
-customers' dogs who aren't very nice
-customers who come out to talk to me for no reason (I try to be personable but I can only take so much)
-forgetting to bring enough bottles of water for the whole day and no where close to a gas station or home to get some more
-running out of trimmer string on the last lawn of the day
-not being able to say "no" to a request of a customer (usually something like hauling a bunch of brush that I don't have time for)
-having my radio-tunes run out of batteries in the middle of the day
-emptying the grass in the trailer at the end of a long/bad day when I just want to get home and put the day behind me
-working in extreme weather (below 50 or above 80....but I live with it)
-putting all the billing info into quickbooks at the end of the day (I usually get around to it but its usually 2-3 days after I do the job...thankfully its all written down on paper too)
-mowing in the fall when the leaves are soaking wet after a day or two of rain
-mowing crappy properties (some pay well but I just like doing the nicer properties better)

sharpcuts
05-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Some days I can relate to most of the things listed here. Some days its not so bad. Toward the end of the season I'm nearing burnout & it ALL sucks.

Glenn Lawn Care
05-15-2010, 01:58 AM
post the things that you just would rather not have to deal with each day cutting...pertaining to the maintenance guys.

Here are some of mine.

Trimming dont mind
edging dont mind
cleaning up dont mind
running out of line yeah, makes me mad esp. When i'm alomst done
trimming (i know it's already up there)
customers that come outside each and every week your there:dizzy: Oh yeah esp. The ones that talk your ear off.
Mowing in the rain yeah makes for a messy day
heat yeah esp. When i get quag build up!
Grass in my eyes i wear sun glasses all day and this still happens.
Grass on my pants could care less.
Grass on my sunglasses yeah and when sweat runs down the lens
grass on my everything dont mind
dog shirt on my mower tires it use to bother me but not as much anymore.
Trimming
trimming
the first account always makes me hungry nah
the last four resis of the day:dizzy: Yeah kinda
accounts i underbid doesnt not happen
stupid people yup.

There more...i'm just to tired to think.

just to name a few

M.A.Landscaping
05-15-2010, 02:11 AM
i hate dog crap

brodo374
05-15-2010, 02:14 AM
the sun. the big orange sun

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-15-2010, 02:33 AM
the sun. the big orange sun

haha good call!

#1 is the customer who thinks ur her personal therapist(who doesnt stp yapping!)

#2 Biweekly accounts (most are too cheap to go weekly)

#3 that piece of sand/grass/whatever that sneaks thru your shades and gets stuck in your eye while trimming!

#4 the customer who parks there bmw in front of the gate everytime even when u come on the same day every week just so u have to go to the door and ask them to move it!! click click.....BANG!!:hammerhead:

other than that i love the work

topsites
05-15-2010, 03:25 AM
It is the BS never ends, sweat on goggles and sweat running in my eyes,
also those dang bugs getting deep in my ear or down my throat.

Tell you one thing I learned, there exists a specific way to swat at those things lol

AOD
05-15-2010, 08:15 AM
To the OP. Wahhhhhh. Isn't trimming and edging part of the job?

As for me, the only things I really hate are wasps and yellow jackets, pulling weeds (anyone who wants me to do that will pay dearly!), people who park ******ed and having to use a piece of equipment that is a total POS.

blakerugg
05-15-2010, 04:54 PM
pulling weeds and HITTING DOG **** WITH THE TRIMMER. did it for the first time today...ugh

Cboy7
05-15-2010, 06:04 PM
2 tips for you dudes.

1.Get $6 nitril coated gloves for pulling weeds. - Makes it 80% more Humane
2.Get 3 spare Trimmer head spools for you trimmer. (redmax ones cost $7) -then pre wrap em , and when you run out , slap a new one on. - Makes it %60 more Efficient

kc2006
05-15-2010, 06:19 PM
I used to hate respooling the trimmer but I got one of redmax's speed feeds and that things awesome, just cut a 20' piece of line put it in half way and twist, done.

Anymore I hate the mf'ing customers! Everyone wants something for nothing and they think they're grounds maint professionals or something! "Can't you cut it at 1" so it looks better all week" NO!

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-16-2010, 05:13 PM
I used to hate respooling the trimmer but I got one of redmax's speed feeds and that things awesome, just cut a 20' piece of line put it in half way and twist, done.

Anymore I hate the mf'ing customers! Everyone wants something for nothing and they think they're grounds maint professionals or something! "Can't you cut it at 1" so it looks better all week" NO!

youre right man. one of my customers mothers (old jewish lady) was tellin me the other day that SHE was a professional gardener and how she does all the work on her yard and gardens herself and that her yard should be in magazines. she proceeded to tell me that i shouldnt call my business a "licensed company" because i havent earned a degree from an agricultural college. i wanted to smack her. come to find out her husband just died a month earlier. her daughter told me that he was the one who did ALL the work and she wouldnt lift a finger. i was wondering why she would call me to do her yard/garden work if she was such a "professional gardener"!! this is coming from a lady who tells me my prices per hour are WAY too high and that Ricky (neighborhood hack) will do it for so much cheaper

Hell on Blades
05-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Can't stand the old man across the street.. The one that looks out his window like
I'm going to do something to his yard from 30 feet away.

mowerbrad
05-16-2010, 06:15 PM

I've had customers just like that...they wanted their lawn cut short, so I told them that 2.5" would be the shortest I'd go (I cut 95% of my accounts at 3"), then they insisted that I cut shorter. They said, "it is too long after a week and we want it to look nicer for longer". So they get all angry with me for not cutting shorter, I said fine and started cutting at 2.25"...still not short enough. I cut at 2" and they were finally able to accept it (still wanted it shorter though). Then their lawn starts to dry up and thin out in areas and get all pissed at me. But if they would have let me cut at my usual 3", this never would have happened.

93Chevy
05-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Today, I have a few more to add

Cutting under low trees
Cutting around cars at commercials
People not fixing plow/truck damage or ruts
Cutting under low trees
Running the 21" along fences at the bottom of grades
Cutting under low trees

freshprince94
05-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Dull blades
running out of gas or line
trimming
weeds
trimming around plastic edging
open pools
backyards with a hammock, slip and slide, and heavy exercise equipment that im expected to move so i can mow the area
gates