PDA

View Full Version : Finally traded in the lemon!

HulkXD
05-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Well, I've posted on here about my Gravely and the problems I experienced. So after days of going back and forth with my dealership, I finally reached a consensus with them and they made me a really good deal. I am now the proud owner of a Snapper Pro S200X with the 27hp Kohler and 61" deck. I haven't got to cut with it yet, but it seems like a beast! I like the controls (crisp enough but softer than the Gravely) and it seems like it has a good balance to it. So, has anyone had any experience with these mowers? I have high expectations, seeing as they are so closely related to the Ferris IS2000.

tstutz
05-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Never ran one and dont plan on it. The name snapper to me screams JUNK! Im not trying to bag on you dont get me wrong but i just remember seeing and still seeing people put around on the old snappers with the bicycle handles...

HulkXD
05-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Yeah, this is basically a Ferris without the suspension. They come off of the same assembly line. They don't have bicycle handles, either.

jdutcher003
05-15-2010, 12:07 AM
i have a snapper pro 150sx and I have had some problems with the cut of the deck. Dont get me wrong it cuts awesome, except for one area. the left side edge of the deck makes a piece about a half in taller when you go down and then pass back by that area with the left side again. if you understand what i mean! it looks like its about half inch taller and the strip is only about and inch wide as most, but you can definitely see the difference. it would be flat all the way across.

Other than that the mower is awesome! The dealer is trying to take care of the issue

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-15-2010, 02:01 AM
Never ran one and dont plan on it. The name snapper to me screams JUNK! Im not trying to bag on you dont get me wrong but i just remember seeing and still seeing people put around on the old snappers with the bicycle handles...

haha thats what i think of too. the old guys in my neighborhood have them and they are extremely fugly. they dont look sturdy at all. im sure your mower is great because it is a new model, but i will always think of that old style snapper when i hear that brand name

topsites
05-15-2010, 02:24 AM
I've used a Snapper before, it's like no other mower on the market and I think
it's actually one of the most ingenious machines ever made.

Lawnut101
05-15-2010, 02:29 AM
You should post some pics of it. How is the cut so far?

Merkava_4
05-15-2010, 04:42 AM
You should post some pics of it. How is the cut so far?

Well, I've posted on here about my Gravely and the problems I experienced. So after days of going back and forth with my dealership, I finally reached a consensus with them and they made me a really good deal. I am now the proud owner of a Snapper Pro S200X with the 27hp Kohler and 61" deck. I haven't got to cut with it yet, but it seems like a beast! I like the controls (crisp enough but softer than the Gravely) and it seems like it has a good balance to it. So, has anyone had any experience with these mowers? I have high expectations, seeing as they are so closely related to the Ferris IS2000.

Richard Martin
05-15-2010, 04:50 AM
i just remember seeing and still seeing people put around on the old snappers with the bicycle handles...

They still make that mower. Just the handle bars have changed a little. Now they're a square loop.

http://images.motorsportdealers.com/common/MediaLibrary/Units/23878/images/250/1405081ec35.jpg

MOHUSTLER
05-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Have had a chance to put about 4 hours on my s200x demo. I absoutley love it so far. And we still sell around 30-50 of the rear engine riders a year. The old men love them.

taylorboyz
05-16-2010, 01:40 PM
hello I have a snapper pro 200. A couple of problems the engine mount bolts were missing on the front of the engine and the front wheels wore through the front brackets (lack of grease) within 5 hours of use. The dealer fixed the problems with in a few hours never missed a day of cutting., 196 hours later the machine runs and cuts great. I would buy snapper again.

bigfish5
05-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

bigfish5
05-16-2010, 04:25 PM
When I was looking to buy a new mower I was searching for 60 inch cuts for around 8k, out of the mowers I tried out the snapper was my hands down favorite. Loved the way the sticks felt and worked. Ended up buying a used Exmark 56 hp 2007 with 156 hours for 4800.00. If not for finding that deal it was between the snapper and bobcat. "which I never démodé".
Posted via Mobile Device

lzrj
05-16-2010, 05:08 PM
I have the tell you those old snappers with the handle bars were very well built. My dad had two of them growing up. He had 20 acres and mowed about 3 acres with them and used the large JD tractor with 3 pt. to mow the rest. He did very little to them and they ran and ran and ran. He finally upgraded to a cub cadet rider and had more problems with it in the first two years then he ever had with either of the snappers. He wished he never got rid of the snappers. And yes he is old.

HulkXD
05-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Well, guys, I put almost 5 hours on it Saturday, and I'm very impressed so far. The cut is better than my Gravely and the only problem I had was I ran over a large piece of chain link fence at my uncle's house, but I got really lucky. The fence tightened around the discharge side blade bolt head and just unscrewed the blade bolt. 5 minutes and I was cutting again. It rides smooth, and will hold a hill great. The only problem so far is it's really light in the front and if you hit a ridge, or do a really quick back-and-forth move, the front wheels can pop off of the ground. I mow a small but steep bank at a strip mall and it went side to side without any slippage at all. My Gravely would only mow up-across. I'm hoping the weather holds off here in SCKY so I can finish up tomorrow. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

HulkXD
05-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Another thing about those old snappers, they just don't make mowers like they used to. I was talking to my grandfather today, and he has a 1986 Craftsman hydrostatic tractor, 44" deck, that he still uses every week to mow his 10 acres. And he mows ALL 10 ACRES. All he's done to it was replace a fuel filter and the PTO clutch. Original Briggs engine with ORIGINAL SPARK PLUGS.

rain man
05-17-2010, 12:49 AM
I remember those good ole' days. Up at dawn cutting with ye ole' trusty push mower. Temperature 99, humidity 200. One day dad buys a Snapper riding mower. Boy, we had arrived. Slow and small but you could ride. It took a few pulls to crank it but cutting time went from 3 hrs to 1 when it cranked.

Now, that job would take 15 minutes. Upon reflection...maybe these are the good ole days.