PDA

View Full Version : Scag Wildcat Liquid Cooled Review

GTAlumnus
05-15-2010, 12:23 AM
I have a Scag Wildcat, 26 KAW LC, 61" triton deck. Into the 3rd season, about 250 hours so far and it has been a good mower.

However I do not like the problems with the radiator. There is a screen on top that is supposed to catch debris before it gets to the radiator, but the radiator itself gets very dirty regardless. Some windy days I literally have to stop and kill the engine every round to clean out the radiator.

It think the way the radiator attracts debris is very poor design and I'd go for air cooled if I had it to do over again.

A friend just bought a JD 997 with 31 HP diesel and its a hoss. Also liquid cooled of course but the design is so much better - really no way for grass to clog the radiator.

Lawnut101
05-15-2010, 02:25 AM
Do you have the Advantage deck, or the Velocity deck? I demoed a Wildcat with a Velocity deck, and I liked it a lot.

GTAlumnus
05-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Its the velocity deck and it cuts great and fast. Its just the radiator design I don't like.

GTAlumnus
05-15-2010, 11:11 AM
I don't know why I said triton deck - its velocity.

jkingrph
05-15-2010, 11:58 AM
I have a Scag Wildcat, 26 KAW LC, 61" triton deck. Into the 3rd season, about 250 hours so far and it has been a good mower.

However I do not like the problems with the radiator. There is a screen on top that is supposed to catch debris before it gets to the radiator, but the radiator itself gets very dirty regardless. Some windy days I literally have to stop and kill the engine every round to clean out the radiator.

It think the way the radiator attracts debris is very poor design and I'd go for air cooled if I had it to do over again.

A friend just bought a JD 997 with 31 HP diesel and its a hoss. Also liquid cooled of course but the design is so much better - really no way for grass to clog the radiator.

I have the same mower but a 52" velocity deck. I had the same problem, acutally bumped a hanging birdfeeder and got birdseed all over and stuck in radiator. I picked it all out, then took a piece of fiberglass windowscreen and laid over the top of the radiator, held down by the factory wire screen.

It works great, even if it appears clogged, enough air gets through so the temp gage is always on the left side(cooler) area of green field. No heating problems whatsoever. To clean I just pop off the wire screen, then slide the fiberglass windowscreen off and shake it off and then replace.

GTAlumnus
05-15-2010, 12:34 PM
You just got some fiberglass windowscreen material at Lowes or Home Depot and cut it to fit? Sounds like an idea. I blow it off with a leaf blower, and I see alot of dirt come out of the radiator, just wonder if it needs to be cleaned with a water hose. But with the radiator on top of the engine if you run water on it, it gets on the engine below, electrical, etc.

jkingrph
05-15-2010, 12:45 PM
That's the stuff, got mine at a local hardware store. Most of the time I just hit it with a leaf blower, occasionally with a air hose, and take it off when too much of the larger stuff starts building up. I have been doing this for three years now and it's working fine.