PDA

View Full Version : Should the clear fuel filter be filled with gas??

KenH
07-10-2002, 03:02 PM
I have a Kohler 22. Should the inline fuel filter be filled with gas?? The engine runs fine, but the filter is always empty. I couldnt remember if it was always like this.
Thanks

Scraper
07-10-2002, 03:14 PM
I just replaced the one on my 17 Kawi. It was half full prior to changing and then empty when I replaced with new filter. Three weeks later and there is visible gas in it. You are okay as long as gas is flowing through.

LAWNGODFATHER
07-10-2002, 05:42 PM
You ok as long as fuel is being sucked through the system, but you should see fuel in the filter at some point.

It may take a few days to fill up and if it doesn't it can cause fuel starvation problems soon.

Jimbo
07-10-2002, 10:45 PM
Those filters are funny sometimes (especially when just replaced). Most of the time they should be half full, but mine has appeared empty before and ran fine.
I would remove the hose at the carb and make sure gas runs freely.

Jimbo

Pelican
07-10-2002, 11:02 PM
My fuel filter is full on some days and empty on others, the engine runs the same in either case. I wonder if it has something to do with barometric pressure?

TLS
07-10-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Pelican
I wonder if it has something to do with barometric pressure?

Maybe....

But from here I can see that you all have loose exhaust bearings. Thats the real reason!!! :eek:

LAWNGODFATHER
07-10-2002, 11:27 PM
Thomas I noticed you are low on blinker fluid, while you fill that up better check the license plate fluid also.;)

awm
07-11-2002, 12:15 AM
be danged ,an i thought i had a good maintenance program. hmm ,something else to add to the list.;)

Tony Harrell
07-11-2002, 05:47 AM
Is it installed right side up? It would probably flow either way but, there is a right side up. Also, is your petcock turned all the way open?

roscioli
07-11-2002, 10:12 AM
I hate to be the only one to point out the extreme obvious, but here goes:
A clean filter will flow better, therefore a new filter will be empty becuase its clean and the gas is just pouring through it.
A dirty filter will be forcing the suction of the engine to pull gas down, therefore the dirty filter will be full because there is friction holding the gas in.

Of course I know there are more reasons, like complete randomness as one, but this is the most obvious. Either way, as long as its running fine, and when you disconnect it at the carb the fuel is running through fine, and you have it on the right direction, you are fine. Fine fine fine.

Call me Captain Obvious :)