PDA

View Full Version : Help with this small Palm Tree

allendehl
05-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Hi guys,

I recently planted this palm three(I dont know the particular name) and it was in perfect health.
I just noticed it is turning yellowish in some parts. I'm attaching some pics for you to see.
What can be causing this? How can I prevent it?

I'm watering it between one and two times a day since its right by my new lawn.

Thanks a lot

CkLandscapingOrlando
05-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Thats a Robilini palm. The last pic with the ywllow pods, those are seads. That palm is way to big for that spot. Gotta read the tags. That tree needs alot of water to get established. Field growers asso suggest 6-8 weeks of heavy water to get the feeder roots to move out from the ball. It also needs a palm fert. Not any other type but a palm fert. The lower leaves will yellow with age and should be trimmed.

unkownfl
05-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Better move that palm now!!!! Good by sewer pipes foundation and well it will be right against your house in no time!!!!

BTW where are you, FL?

Florida Gardener
05-16-2010, 04:16 PM
The yellow on that frond is a nutritional deficiency. In perticular, Magnesium. The frond should NOT be trimmed off as it will push the deficiency further up the canopy. Roebellinii's typically have problems with Mg,K,Mn deficiencies and need to be corrected by using a palm fert. 4 times per year. You need to go to Lesco and get thier 8-2-12 Palm and Ornamental Fert. and apply around the dripline of the tree. Do NOT pile around the base of the trunk.

South Florida Lawns
05-17-2010, 12:14 AM
and get some good gloves when you go to move it.

allendehl
05-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Really?? I've seen so many people with that kind of palm in my neighborhood that I never thought it was going to grow that much!! They all have it in the same spot, in front of that window...uff..thats not good news.

I'm in the Miami area.

CkLandscapingOrlando
05-17-2010, 05:23 PM
You have to figure that is still a puppy. As small as it is, I bet the branches are already touching the house. That palm stay's small. That means a little taller than your house when full grown. Each leaf will grow about 4ft long. If one trunk is pointed towards your house, it will grow into it. If all the trunks are pointed away from your house then you need 4.5ft min from the center of the trunk to your house.

allendehl
05-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Wow..so the solution here is to pull out the palm?
Right now its just around 2 or 3 feet away from the wall, and yes, the leafs are touching the wall.
I wanted a small palm three to cover the front window. I bought that one because my neighbors have them and they look pretty nice there.

capelawncare.com
05-17-2010, 08:14 PM
They have some nasty "thorns" on them, be carefull they hurt like hell, when they go into your skin.

CkLandscapingOrlando
05-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Well if you dont mind the leafs touching your house and holding moisture as well as a ladder for bugs then it's fine. Or if you dont mind trimming every leaf off the back half every month then it's fine. Seen it done both ways. But as a pro, I would never, ever, do that to a client. Plants always look good when small. You have to read the tag. I can tell how many times I',ve seen a hibiscus that should be 8x8 in a spot 3x3. Or lantana that should be 3x3 in a 1x1. The over all result is fungus, pest, far less blooming, far more maint, more water, more fert, and eventual death. Then when you want to dig it out you have roots on top of roots.

allendehl
05-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Thanks CK!

There are actually 3 trunks. One is pointing to the house and the other three are pointing away. What should be the distance from the center of the ball to the wall then to get it right?? 4.5 feet?

MarcSmith
05-18-2010, 07:49 AM
Also have to remember the roebelinii will max out at 15 feet tall in about 20 years...they grow around 1 foot every year the root ball won't cause you any sewer pipe or foundation issues unless you planted the tree on top of the lines (which you did) or up against the foundation. working for disney we had field grown ones that we moved into the parks, and they rarely had a root ball larger than a couple feet...

It is a good tree in that it will deter people from trying to peek in your window, but it is too close to the house as others have said you'll get the frond brushing against the house, natural insect bridge, and in about 5-6 years you won't be able to see out the window...

If you are really set on that location, move it away from the house and sewer clean-out and to the left and use it as a corner accent....

allendehl
05-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Hi Marc, thanks a lot for your suggestions.

I planted it close to the sewer, but not exactly in top of it. When they brought the palm, the ball was about 2 feet in diameter and it ended up being about a feet away from the sewer pipe. Is this enough? I will post the exact distances later today.

MarcSmith
05-18-2010, 09:41 AM
i would not want it that close...especially if you ever need to get into the clean out the plumbers gonna have roebelinii spines up his butt...SO you had a landscaper install it?

allendehl
05-18-2010, 09:46 AM
No, I did it myself. I had somebody drop the palm at my house right into the hole. Now I'm thinking in digging the palm out to move it a couple of feet and it huuuurtsss :D. The hole was a pain in the butt to open. Plus, I'll lose part of the point of having it there...to block the front window.

What do you suggest to move it? How can I take it out again? That thing is heavy!

MarcSmith
05-18-2010, 09:55 AM
if you want to block the window... then pull the tree forward closer to the edge of the block edging this will give it some space between the tree and the house. start digging the new hole on the front side of the tree and then get some help and slide the tree into its new area...if you have some strong backs you can lift it out dig your hole and drop it back in... but it sound like you don't have extra help...

Yeah they hurt...

CkLandscapingOrlando
05-18-2010, 05:34 PM
I agree. Just dig a new hole in front making sure that the 2 holes connect. Then you just slide it from one to the other. This thing will more than cover that window. I just installed one today in front of a window like your's. About 4ft trunk and 4ft of leaf. It was a double trunk. It completly cover the 8ft window so you cant see in, yet open enough to see out

Kate Butler
05-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Rip out the roebellini and replace with a clump of cat palm. They're clumpers - so, eventually you will need to decrease the size of the clump. BUT, they stay 4' to 5' tall, are a lovely dark green, and have NO THORNS.

www.desert-tropicals.com/Palm/Chamaedorea_cataractarum.html

Since you're in the Miami area, no frost worries.

Florida Gardener
05-19-2010, 08:41 PM
^Totally disagree. Cat palms need almost full shade. That area looks to be full sun. They will look like garbage if installed there.

Kate Butler
05-19-2010, 09:02 PM
My sister's 'cats' are in Loxahatchee, within 4' of the house and facing West. Full sun for the hottest part of the day (including the reflected heat from the structure) and they look fine.

Florida Gardener
05-19-2010, 09:47 PM
^any that i have seen that get mostly sun all day look crappy. It's a full shade palm in my opinion.