PDA

View Full Version : Scag Tiger Cat pricing

joeco129
05-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Hey everyone,

I recently posted question about ZTR's for residential and was asking about Scag and Exmark. Well I have narrowed it down to a Scag Tiger Cat. My question now is pricing and what your opinions are about what I have received from two dealers... All opinions are welcome.

Dealer one -

2010 Tiger Cat 48" with a Briggs ELS 26HP - $6845.00

Dealer two -

2010 Tiger Cat 52" with a Kohler 27HP - $8550.00

My questions are....

Is the 52/27 worth the difference in price? Is the price accurate? Again it is for residential with 1.5 acres mowable with the intention of buying more property with a new home in the next few years... something like 3 acres mowable.

Would I even notice a difference (between HP and the 4" cut difference)figuring I would run it once a week? Also I get a flavor that Kohler's are better... I have had one on my Craftsman tractor for 10 years and it has been flawless... so i would lean towards it. I have heard some say the Briggs have issues.

Funny thing is, Dealer two with the Kohler told me he sells a ton of Briggs ELS and has not seen any come back for service and could not say anything bad about it. He just didn't have one on his lots when I was there. What are your opinions on them?

I could order anything I want from either Dealer but these are the two most comparable they have on their lots.

Help! What's the better deal??? Also in the future I would be adding a bagger to it... so I know horse power is a concern with bagging...

Thanks all and I look forward to your thoughts!

joeco129
05-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Hey everyone,

I recently posted question about ZTR's for residential and was asking about Scag and Exmark. Well I have narrowed it down to a Scag Tiger Cat. My question now is pricing and what your opinions are about what I have received from two dealers... All opinions are welcome.

Dealer one -

2010 Tiger Cat 48" with a Briggs ELS 26HP - $6845.00

Dealer two -

2010 Tiger Cat 52" with a Kohler 27HP - $8550.00

My questions are....

Is the 52/27 worth the difference in price? Is the price accurate? Again it is for residential with 1.5 acres mowable with the intention of buying more property with a new home in the next few years... something like 3 acres mowable.

Would I even notice a difference (between HP and the 4" cut difference)figuring I would run it once a week? Also I get a flavor that Kohler's are better... I have had one on my Craftsman tractor for 10 years and it has been flawless... so i would lean towards it. I have heard some say the Briggs have issues.

Funny thing is, Dealer two with the Kohler told me he sells a ton of Briggs ELS and has not seen any come back for service and could not say anything bad about it. He just didn't have one on his lots when I was there. What are your opinions on them?

I could order anything I want from either Dealer but these are the two most comparable they have on their lots.

Help! What's the better deal??? Also in the future I would be adding a bagger to it... so I know horse power is a concern with bagging...

Thanks all and I look forward to your thoughts!

Forgot one thing... The 52" with the Kohler 27 has and air ride seat like a Wildcat!

RTR Landscaping
05-15-2010, 11:43 AM
The main difference in these two mowers are the engines. Personally, I'd go with the Kohler over the Briggs.The suspension seat is also a big part of the price difference.You made the right decision to go with Scag,no matter which you end up buying. I own 6 and would not have any thing else.Good luck!!

joeco129
05-15-2010, 12:45 PM
The main difference in these two mowers are the engines. Personally, I'd go with the Kohler over the Briggs.The suspension seat is also a big part of the price difference.You made the right decision to go with Scag,no matter which you end up buying. I own 6 and would not have any thing else.Good luck!!

So you think the Kohler, air ride seat and 4" cut difference are worth the additional $1705 in price? Or does it seem high?

MONTE
05-15-2010, 03:24 PM
No it is not worth the diffrence. Add a suspension seat run the briggs till it dies and put on a kohler. Save your money the briggs will probably run long enough to pay for a new kohler. Too bad you are so far away there is a lady down here that has a slick 48" tiger cub with a water cooled kohler on it for sale.

mowerbrad
05-15-2010, 04:57 PM
I had a Briggs ELS engine on my bobcat that I just sold early this spring. It was a pretty good engine, not my favorite, but I really had nothing bad to say about it. I've always thought that kawasaki's and kohler's run smoother than briggs engines and also run slightly quieter. I believe the kohler engine will also come with a canister type air filtration system. If you don't have the canister air filter, make sure to really keep up on cleaning out the filter. The ELS filters can get dirty really fast, that was really my only complaint with that engine.

Personally I'd get the kohler.

Trevor8
05-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Is 4 inches going to save you that much time? Go with the 48 it is almost $2000 cheaper.

unkownfl
05-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Go with the cheaper one especially for only 1.5 acres that's tiny for those machines.

hippiehawk
05-16-2010, 10:01 AM
MONTE - any details about the tiger cub you are speaking of

mhaley927
05-16-2010, 11:32 AM
when you get the 4.5 acre total, a 48" is gunna feel pretty small, but a 52" is as well.

I (like earlier) would opint you towards a bigger used machine, but for the two you have selected save yourself the 2 grand.

26hp is gunna be FINE for a catcher. My Tiger Cub 19hp 48" does fine with a catcher unless i'm no steep hills or in VERY thick grass.