PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a CDL?

FLCthes4:11-12
05-15-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm sure this question will get different responses cause the laws are different from area to area. I live in GA and just bought a used F600 dump truck hydraulic over electric brakes. It has a GVW of 23,000 lbs. Can I pull my 8,500 lbs. gvw trailer with out a Cdl. My class C license states may operate single vehicle less than 26001gvwr. may tow trailer less than 10,001 gvwr. May tow trailer over 10,001 gvwr provided the gcwr is less than 26,001. I was kind of confused i thouhgt anything over 26,000 combo you had to have cdl.
thanks

salopez
05-15-2010, 08:17 PM
You need your class B's. C's let you drive a total combined weight of 26k lbs.
B's give your any weight truck and a trailer up to 10k lbs.

Duffster
05-16-2010, 12:33 AM
You need your class B's.

That is incorrect.

As long as the truck is under 26k and the trailer is under 10k no CDL is required.

salopez
05-16-2010, 08:36 AM
You sure? Ga. is a long way off from the mid west...

A Georgia CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . .
1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
3. A vehicle used to . . .(a.) carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver), or (b.) carry (15) or less people (including the driver) when carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation.
4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.

Duffster
05-16-2010, 09:36 AM
You sure? Ga. is a long way off from the mid west...

Positive.....and GA is just about as far from Maryland. Besides CDL requirements are pretty much the same everywhere.

Now compare the OP's vehicles to each line of the following.

A Georgia CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . .
1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.

GVWR is 23k so No CDL required

2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.

Trailer is under 10k so No CDL required.

3. A vehicle used to . . .(a.) carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver), or (b.) carry (15) or less people (including the driver) when carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation.
4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.

We will assume these 2 are moot

So like I said no CDL required for that combination.

MikeKle
05-16-2010, 10:27 AM
It depends on the state you live in. Here in KY, if you are the owner of the company or truck, you are grandfathered in somehow and do not have to get a CDL. You only have to get one when you are driving another guys/companies truck. And even then its not enforced at all here. If it is a smaller company anyway.

Duffster
05-16-2010, 10:52 AM
It depends on the state you live in. Here in KY, if you are the owner of the company or truck, you are grandfathered in somehow and do not have to get a CDL. You only have to get one when you are driving another guys/companies truck. And even then its not enforced at all here. If it is a smaller company anyway.

I doubt that.

CDL requirements are the same for an owner operator as they are for a company driver no matter the size of the company.

MikeKle
05-16-2010, 11:50 AM
I doubt that.

CDL requirements are the same for an owner operator as they are for a company driver no matter the size of the company.

I know it is that way with tri axle dump trucks, as I was going to drive one a few years ago for this small company and they explained how that worked. however for a regular semi truck, it is probably not the same? enforcement is also a big factor too, the states requirements may be one thing, but if the cops do not enforce it, then it doesnt matter. This guy who owned a few dump trucks was a retired sheriff, so Im sure he wasnt subject to the same laws as everyone else!

CLARK LAWN
05-16-2010, 03:23 PM
CDL is FEDRAL!!! If you are driving a triaxle without a CDL you are breaking the law. they may not pull you over and check but if something happens you better believe that it will be an issue. There was a local paving contractor here who was doing that same thing, no CDL cause he was small and just ran local, well one of the guys got in a accident and by the time the lawyers were done he last his business and his home. also the driver did 6 months in jail and had to pay a huge fine.

MikeKle
05-16-2010, 05:06 PM
What year was it that they changed the truck driving laws from only having to get a Chaueffers license to the CDL license? I believe it was mid to late 80s, but not sure? Do you all think some guys were "grandfathered" in when this law went into effect?

CLARK LAWN
05-16-2010, 05:17 PM
it was in 1990 i believe, anyone driving before that could be grandfathered in if they passed a written test. however it applies to that person only not his entire company, also he would still have to have a CDL just didnt have to take the skills test.

Whippit96
05-16-2010, 09:44 PM
The simple answer is if the truck and trailer COMBINED weigh more than 26,001#'s than you will need your Class A CDL.

Also every state has exactly the same laws concerning CDL requirements because it is federally mandated.

CLARK LAWN
05-16-2010, 09:54 PM
The simple answer is if the truck and trailer COMBINED weigh more than 26,001#'s than you will need your Class A CDL.

Also every state has exactly the same laws concerning CDL requirements because it is federally mandated.

NO only if the GCWR is over 26001# pulling a trailer over 10K.

Whippit96
05-16-2010, 09:57 PM
NO only if the GCWR is over 26001# pulling a trailer over 10K.

Ok, good luck telling that to a DOT officer.

Edit:

This is why I say a class A CDL is needed:

Classes of License:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73.

Why would you chance it, in the OP's case he is over 26001#'s with the truck and trailer. While yes his trailer has a GVRW of 8xxx#'s, if he is over weight on the trailer he is screwed X2. It's stupid to not have more license than you need.

Duffster
05-16-2010, 10:05 PM
This should make it easy.

Question 6: A driver operates a tractor of exactly 26,000 pounds GVWR, towing a trailer of exactly 10,000 pounds GVWR, for a GCWR of 36,000 pounds. HM and passengers are not involved. Is it a CMV and does the driver need a CDL?

Guidance: No to both questions

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?chunkkey=0901633480023237

:hammerhead:

Whippit96
05-16-2010, 10:08 PM
This should make it easy.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?chunkkey=0901633480023237

So I assume you have no problem putting up the money that the OP will have to pay in fines when he crosses the scales and is over weight on the trailer and does not have the proper license?

Let me guess, you're an arm chair truck driver right?

CLARK LAWN
05-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Whippit, did you read what you posted?
" A class A CDL is required when the GCWR is over 26,001 pounds PROVIDED the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

I have a Class A and have for about 10 years now, i will put up the money to cover the fine because afterward i will sue them for giving a ticket on a law that doesnt exist.

CLARK LAWN
05-16-2010, 10:29 PM
duffster i think you need to post that flow chart here

Duffster
05-16-2010, 10:35 PM
So I assume you have no problem putting up the money that the OP will have to pay in fines when he crosses the scales and is over weight on the trailer and does not have the proper license?

Let me guess, you're an arm chair truck driver right?

Why would you assume he will be over weight?

Even if he was overweight it is debatable whether or not he would need a CDL.

Duffster
05-16-2010, 10:46 PM
duffster i think you need to post that flow chart here

Pretty sure it would be over ones head. ;)

Duffster
05-16-2010, 11:03 PM

This is also wrong.

While most states follow the feds regulations, a state can have stricter rules like CA does.

MikeKle
05-16-2010, 11:08 PM

I know for a fact in KY, if it is a straight truck, like a triaxle dump, you need a class B, but if it has a trailer, you need a class A.

Duffster
05-16-2010, 11:11 PM
I know for a fact in KY, if it is a straight truck, like a triaxle dump, you need a class B, but if it has a trailer, you need a class A.

Where do you come up with this sh!t?

The triaxle wouldn't require an A unless the trailer is over 10k.

Maybe I will have to break out the flow chart.

PerfectEarth
05-16-2010, 11:17 PM
"A class A CDL is required when the GCWR is over 26,001 pounds PROVIDED the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

I've probably posted this a million times on this site.

The key word in all of this talk is "PROVIDED!!!!"......Provided that the trailer is OVER 10,000#

This is not a hard concept. I have a Class A. I drive a 19,000# F550 with a 12,000# dump trailer. YES, I need a CDL (GCWR is OVER 26,000 and the TRAILER is over 10,000#)...if the trailer was 10,000 even, I'd still be over 26,00 combined BUT I wouldn't need a CDL

CLARK LAWN
05-16-2010, 11:35 PM

you just said you dont need a CDL for a triaxle a few posts ago now you do?

CLARK LAWN
05-16-2010, 11:43 PM
not quite as good as your duffster but maybe some people here can follow it

Duffster
05-17-2010, 08:21 AM
It's stupid to not have more license than you need.

Actually it is pretty stupid to have a CDL if you don't really need it since traffic tickets effect you completely different with a CDL.

Do you have a Hazmat endorsement? Just in case.

MikeKle
05-17-2010, 11:32 AM
you just said you dont need a CDL for a triaxle a few posts ago now you do?

I was stating what the law is, not what some owners choose to do, and I guess I wasnt clear enough, for a straight truck, meaning no 5th wheel hitch, like a dump truck, big box truck, you are only required to have a class B, but if it is something like a regular semi truck that pulls a trailer and has a 5th wheel, you need a class A, but many legit companies here prefer their triaxle drivers to have a class A. I am not sure about when you are pulling a trailer with a tri axle though, I guess thats why many prefer a class A? That guy I was going to drive for wasnt doing it completely legit anyway.

CLARK LAWN
05-17-2010, 12:59 PM
my 1ton with my big trailer requires a class A
the dump has a GVWR of 12,000 the trailer has a GVWR of 14,400
12,000+14,400= 26,400 GCWR over 26,001# pulling a trailer over 10,000#
now my other dump has a GVWR of 11000 so pulling the same trailer you dont need a CDL A
11,000+14,400=25400 under CDL

if you are pulling a trailer that is over 10K with TRIAXLE then you need a class A if it is under 10K then you need a B

they probably require a class A because they may have semis or equipment trailers that they pull with the triaxles.

landscapingman_2010
05-17-2010, 10:08 PM
You need a Class B for this combination. According to the CDL handbook, Class B is classified as "single vehicle with a GVWR of 26001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another (trailer) not in excess of 10000#.

I went through this whole mess 2 yrs ago after being pulled over by the Illinois DOT. I was driving a 4700 International dump with a GVWR 26000 pulling a skid trailer with a GVWR of 8000 or 8500# on a Class D license. I was informed that a Class C was needed to operate just the truck itself being that it was "a single vehicle with a GVWR of at least 16001 but less than 26001." Add on the trailer and it becomes a combination requiring a Class B.

To make a long story short, I paid $239 for the court appearance plus fine. And I now have my CDL w/air brake restriction because we upgraded the trailer to GVWR 12000 although we still have the same truck.

CLARK LAWN
05-17-2010, 10:28 PM
You need a Class B for this combination. According to the CDL handbook, Class B is classified as "single vehicle with a GVWR of 26001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another (trailer) not in excess of 10000#.

I went through this whole mess 2 yrs ago after being pulled over by the Illinois DOT. I was driving a 4700 International dump with a GVWR 26000 pulling a skid trailer with a GVWR of 8000 or 8500# on a Class D license. I was informed that a Class C was needed to operate just the truck itself being that it was "a single vehicle with a GVWR of at least 16001 but less than 26001." Add on the trailer and it becomes a combination requiring a Class B.

To make a long story short, I paid $239 for the court appearance plus fine. And I now have my CDL w/air brake restriction because we upgraded the trailer to GVWR 12000 although we still have the same truck.

UHH NO, the law does not read that way. got to theflow chart that i posted and follow it down. if you got a ticket it was the cop making up laws as he saw fit. there is no CDL for a vehicle between 16001 and 26001. a class C is a "speciality" license.

if you think this is fact then post a link that shows it as law so we can see it.

CLARK LAWN
05-17-2010, 10:29 PM
the way you have it worded anytime you pull and trailer you would need a class B

Duffster
05-17-2010, 10:36 PM

Sorry but you as well are wrong.

Read what you typed yourself....

According to the CDL handbook, Class B is classified as "single vehicle with a GVWR of 26001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another (trailer) not in excess of 10000#.

The OP's "single vehicle" is not over 26k so NO CDL is required.

You are right about IL since they are a rare state with an odd CDL requirement.

nepatsfan
05-17-2010, 10:43 PM
OP listen to clark. How many of the guys who are responding actually have a cdl? Like it was said before under 10,000# trailer is the key. Anyone talking about their state also doesnt understand the cdl. Every state used to have their own laws 20-30 years ago which made it difficult for truck drivers to know the laws in every state then. It also made it easy for a guy to lose his license in one state and go get another class 1 or 2 in another state. This is why they changed the cdl to federal and NO YOU DO NOT NEED A CDL. The guy who is worried about overloading a trailer. You are going to get a ticket for being overweight if you have a class A or not. You cant overload a trailer beyond its gvw just because you have a class A.

nepatsfan
05-17-2010, 10:45 PM
This is like the most simple thing in the world. People even post the damn law.....AND STILL CANT FIGURE IT OUT. :wall:wall:wall

CLARK LAWN
05-17-2010, 10:49 PM
IL CDL requirements, doesnt say anything about 16001-26001http://www.cdl-course.com/faq-il.html

CLARK LAWN
05-17-2010, 10:54 PM
for everyone that says "well in my state" this is the FEDERAL regulations they are to be followed by every state, while they can add to it the cannot change the law.http://www.cdldigest.com/cdl/index.html

Duffster
05-17-2010, 10:57 PM
for everyone that says "well in my state" this is the FEDERAL regulations they are to be followed by every state, while they can add to it the cannot change the law.http://www.cdldigest.com/cdl/index.html

That isn't exactly the case Clark. See PM.

MikeKle
05-17-2010, 11:47 PM

Thata interesting, was the 4700 Intl a LoPro or regular wheels and tires? Im only asking because I have heard from Intl. dealers in OH and KY that you do not need anything but a regular class D to drive a 4700 LoPro, but i guess it also depends on the wheel base/weight, and if you are towing a trailer? Honestly though, here in KY, it is RARE to get stopped for something like this, no matter what you are driving! It seems like in other states though, it is serious business!

nepatsfan
05-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Thata interesting, was the 4700 Intl a LoPro or regular wheels and tires? Im only asking because I have heard from Intl. dealers in OH and KY that you do not need anything but a regular class D to drive a 4700 LoPro, but i guess it also depends on the wheel base/weight, and if you are towing a trailer? Honestly though, here in KY, it is RARE to get stopped for something like this, no matter what you are driving! It seems like in other states though, it is serious business!
As far as what a landscaper would need a cdl for anything under 26000# does not need a cdl. There are vehicles that are less such as limos and things over 15 passengers and I'm sure many more but for landscape purposes just keep 26000# and under 10k # trailer and you are fine.

salopez
05-18-2010, 09:51 AM
here in MD..the interpritation is that the Gross Combination must be under 26k lbs. thats why there are so few ford f550's compared to 450's. Look at Brickman, 99% of their trucks are 450's so that they can pull a 10k lbs trailer without cdls. Am I say this is right or the way it should be no, just how it is around here.

MikeKle
05-18-2010, 10:51 AM
here in MD..the interpritation is that the Gross Combination must be under 26k lbs. thats why there are so few ford f550's compared to 450's. Look at Brickman, 99% of their trucks are 450's so that they can pull a 10k lbs trailer without cdls. Am I say this is right or the way it should be no, just how it is around here.

Why would they even need 450s to pull those kinds of trailers? An F350 can handle that easily? Maybe it has to do with cost, as Ive seen many F450s that are actually cheaper than F350s, now this doesnt make any sense at all????

Duffster
05-18-2010, 06:03 PM

Your previous statemant still doesn't makes sense then.

landscapingman_2010
05-18-2010, 10:39 PM

The truck was on standard size tires. It was originally a gas truck so that may be why the GVWR is so high, never thought about that. My company bought it as a flatbed and converted it to a 11' dump. That is interesting about the LoPro's. Illinois is really starting to crack down on making sure everything is probably tied down on the trailer. Kinda a pain when the DOT's are lying in wait around certain farm towns.

landscapingman_2010
05-18-2010, 10:45 PM
As far as what a landscaper would need a cdl for anything under 26000# does not need a cdl. There are vehicles that are less such as limos and things over 15 passengers and I'm sure many more but for landscape purposes just keep 26000# and under 10k # trailer and you are fine.

Right on the head, man. 26000# or less on the power unit and 10000# or less on the trailer are the two most important numbers in determining a CDL. Above any one of these two numbers and a CDL is required. Below, no CDL is required but may require a Class B or C. When in doubt, ask a DOT officer. Never ask these questions to the local DMV, they are just as confused as every driver.

Duffster
05-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Right on the head, man. 26000# or less on the power unit and 10000# or less on the trailer are the two most important numbers in determining a CDL. Above any one of these two numbers and a CDL is required. Below, no CDL is required but may require a Class B or C. When in doubt, ask a DOT officer. Never ask these questions to the local DMV, they are just as confused as every driver.

That contradicts what you previously posted and is still incorrect.

05-18-2010, 11:21 PM
According to the us dept. of transporation website I am not federally required to have a cdl for my combination. I called a local state patrol and spoke with some one and they said that i could operate the combination so long as the actual weight was less than 26001k i think they are more confused than i am. Thanks for so many replies

GravelyNut
05-20-2010, 03:50 PM
According to the us dept. of transporation website I am not federally required to have a cdl for my combination. I called a local state patrol and spoke with some one and they said that i could operate the combination so long as the actual weight was less than 26001k i think they are more confused than i am. Thanks for so many replies

Just remember, a state can impose stricter rules on intrastate drivers as compared to interstate drivers. The Fed rules are just minimums that the states have to abide by.

PonyExpress94
05-21-2010, 01:16 AM
Hey Duffster, can you please post that flowchart I am hearing so much about. Between this thread and Dirtman's thread I'm curious what the flowchart shows....thanks in advance.

Duffster
05-21-2010, 01:44 AM
Just remember, a state can impose stricter rules on intrastate drivers as compared to interstate drivers. The Fed rules are just minimums that the states have to abide by.

Can you show any states that varies significantly from the feds, other than CA?

Hey Duffster, can you please post that flowchart I am hearing so much about. Between this thread and Dirtman's thread I'm curious what the flowchart shows....thanks in advance.

Here you go....

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=179219&d=1267497452

PonyExpress94
05-21-2010, 01:50 AM
Thanks Duffster!!!!

Duffster
05-21-2010, 01:54 AM
Thanks Duffster!!!!

No Problemo....

GravelyNut
05-22-2010, 01:31 AM
Can you show any states that varies significantly from the feds, other than CA?

Here you go....

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=179219&d=1267497452

Take you flowchart and compare it to what is posted in your Illinois link. (http://www.cdl-course.com/faq-il.html) CLASS B . . . allows you to operate single vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs or more OR a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, towing trailers/vehicles rated at 10,000 pounds GVWR or less. A Class "B" license also allows you to operate Class C vehicles. Same as I've tried to tell you in the past that the states can and do enforce. A vehicle with a 17K GVWR and a 9.5K GVWR trailer would require a Class B in IL. You don't need to meet the Fed level 26K+1 GVWR to require a CDL. Your flow chart says you don't need a CDL.

mowguynky
05-22-2010, 01:50 AM
MikeKle, watch coming to Lexington. I have been stopped numerous times. Both in my Sprinter (GVW of 10,200 lbs) and in my Ram 4500 (GVW of 16,500 lbs). Most times it is to make sure the truck is DOT compliant; extinguisher, DOT number, medical card, etc. I have not personally had anything said about needing a CDL, but can say on several times the officers checked the door label to get the GVW. Also, I have been stopped to check to see if I have had a yearly DOT inspection; check all the lights want to see the extinquisher, medical card, tire wear, etc. I have it done each year.

MikeKle
05-22-2010, 08:58 AM
How is it that you dont need a CDL when driving a rental type box truck? I am talking about the big 26' models. My friend had to rent one last week and it was well over the regular license weight! BTW, Ive heard lexington and frankfort are bad about checking out trucks! I have a friend that lives in frankfort and has a F650 and tows a skid steer with it. With everyone I know with large trucks, they all say cops up here dont enforce or even care about that kind of thing, they are too busy setting up and making drug and prostitution raids!

GravelyNut
05-22-2010, 09:18 AM
How is it that you dont need a CDL when driving a rental type box truck? I am talking about the big 26' models. My friend had to rent one last week and it was well over the regular license weight! BTW, Ive heard lexington and frankfort are bad about checking out trucks! I have a friend that lives in frankfort and has a F650 and tows a skid steer with it. With everyone I know with large trucks, they all say cops up here dont enforce or even care about that kind of thing, they are too busy setting up and making drug and prostitution raids!
Check the lettering under the door or on the door for the GVW. Most will say under 20 or 22K lbs.

nepatsfan
05-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Take you flowchart and compare it to what is posted in your Illinois link. (http://www.cdl-course.com/faq-il.html) Same as I've tried to tell you in the past that the states can and do enforce. A vehicle with a 17K GVWR and a 9.5K GVWR trailer would require a Class B in IL. You don't need to meet the Fed level 26K+1 GVWR to require a CDL. Your flow chart says you don't need a CDL.

That would not require a class B UNLESS the trailer is over 10k pounds.

Duffster
05-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Take you flowchart and compare it to what is posted in your Illinois link. (http://www.cdl-course.com/faq-il.html) Same as I've tried to tell you in the past that the states can and do enforce. A vehicle with a 17K GVWR and a 9.5K GVWR trailer would require a Class B in IL.

WRONG! But nice try.

For starters I didn't post that IL link, That site is incorrect. Compared it to this one.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/drivers/drivers_license/il_license_class.html

The OP's and your example rig would need a class C in IL.

Class C
Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 16,001 pounds but less than 26,001 pounds GVWR; or

Any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR

But yes IL varies slightly from the Feds.

Duffster
05-22-2010, 10:14 AM
That would not require a class B UNLESS the trailer is over 10k pounds.

If the trailer was over 10k it would need a Class A.

nepatsfan
05-22-2010, 10:44 AM
If the trailer was over 10k it would need a Class A.

your right, my bad

GravelyNut
05-23-2010, 06:01 AM
WRONG! But nice try.

For starters I didn't post that IL link, That site is incorrect. Compared it to this one.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/drivers/drivers_license/il_license_class.html

The OP's and your example rig would need a class C in IL.

But yes IL varies slightly from the Feds.
You are correct, Clark Lawn posted the link.

MikeKle
05-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Check the lettering under the door or on the door for the GVW. Most will say under 20 or 22K lbs.

The one he has is 26,800, we looked. And Penske even told him no CDL was needed?

CLARK LAWN
05-23-2010, 11:31 AM
The one he has is 26,800, we looked. And Penske even told him no CDL was needed?

was it a moving truck or was he using it for business? If it is not for commercial use then no you dont need a CDL. Look at some of these RV's and travel trailers. it would fall in the same catagory.

MikeKle
05-23-2010, 11:22 PM
was it a moving truck or was he using it for business? If it is not for commercial use then no you dont need a CDL. Look at some of these RV's and travel trailers. it would fall in the same catagory.

he was renting it to move with, so no commercial use. Penske and ryder also rent regular semi trucks, but what other use than commercial would anyone have for one of those?

GravelyNut
05-25-2010, 08:11 AM
he was renting it to move with, so no commercial use. Penske and ryder also rent regular semi trucks, but what other use than commercial would anyone have for one of those?
Agriculture or moving your whole house load of furnishings in one trip. Both can get the requirement waived. Last time I drove a Ryder 34' box they asked about what license I had. Grumpy went to helpful when they saw it wasn't a regular license.

05-25-2010, 10:16 PM
thought i would post a pic of truck in question. Still working out some of the bugs, pump is pouring fluid i've got to replace the seals and the bed needs some supports welded, but it runs good and i think i got a good deal.

Green-Clips
05-29-2010, 06:32 AM
One issue I haven't seen on this thread is that the CDL class "A" law states that the combination of truck and trailer needs to be over 26,000lbs. This doesn't take into consideration that you will be adding weight i.e. gravel or dirt into the dump box and maybe adding a 9,000lbs skid loader on the trailer as in my case. This puts you well over 26,000 in most cases. I have a class "A" for this reason. My truck is 19,200, my trailer is 4,500 and the loader is 9,000.

CLARK LAWN
05-29-2010, 08:50 AM
it goes by what the GVWR is not the actual weight. im guesing your trailer is over 10K gross weight rating so that would require a class A. you would need to have that license whether you are loaded or not.

Green-Clips
05-30-2010, 12:50 AM
Your exactly right, my trailer is rated for 14,000lbs.