PDA

View Full Version : Help with seeding

C & T Landscaping
05-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Okay about 2 years ago we had someone come in and seed our front lawn...looks like crap now. We had stripes from the way they dropped the fertilizer. So we have some nice grass in areas, dead grass in areas, and a bunch of weeds. I want to completely kill the grass and weeds. What would be the best way to go about reseeding?

1. Can I use Round-Up to kill all the grass then wait for it to wear off and plant the seeds.
2. Should I til up the ground a little (2-3 inches)

Sorry about the long post but I want my yard looking good.

Andre's Lawn Care
05-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Do both, spray it with roundup, then til it up. I would do a soil test too in my opinion just so you can know whats going on in your soil first.

360ci
05-16-2010, 12:09 PM
There are a lot of good products on the market today for patching up bad lawns, spraying and tilling is a much longer tedious way to do it in my opinion and is a last resort only. If you have some decent grass still on the lawn, use a combination fertilizer & grass seed. There are literally TONS of different products you can try from both CIL and Scott's brand, my two top choices. I'm redoing a yard that's utterly all weeds. The owner didn't want me to till, sift weeds out, compact and sod. So I said I can get my guys to pull the weeds out (by the hour) and then fertilize and seed. I did something similar a few years ago but for a much smaller area and it turned out great, and a lot less cost than going through the entire till, & sod process. It took almost two seasons for the grass to become thick, so unless you want instant results, why pay for it.

Andre's Lawn Care
05-17-2010, 09:33 PM
If you are going to pull weeds, then you have to know what they are because if you pull certain weeds, you can actually make the problem worse. and if you just lay fertilizer down with out and adequite soil test first. You can again make the area worse by just laying down fert. And if you lay down fert in the bad areas and nothing happens, thats just a waist of money then IMO.