PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Scag Turg Tiger ate up deck drive belt and spit it out

watson524
05-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Just got a 61" Turf Tiger with the 35hp Vanguard in it on Thursday. It was raining so today was the first time I could use it.

Was running great and the cut and power are awesome and then the deck shut down.

Darn thing chewed the edge off the deck drive belt and jumped it off the pulley. I have 1.2 hours on it and am out of commission.

I'll be at the dealer with the machine bright and early Monday morning and I'm hoping it's a quick fix. I know in the book it says check the first 2, 4, 8 and 10 hours and take it to the dealer if it appears to be wearing belts so I assume this is covered as a warranty item but what the heck. Is this a known issue? I've never had a belt problem on my 2001 Turf Tiger but I didn't get it knew so maybe these wear in issues are normal.

I couldn't figure out how to get the belt on the 2 pulleys (tending on idler pulley spring is off yes...). Mainly can't get it under the bottom pulley so it's not like even if I had a spare belt I could sort it out. Plus I want the dealer to make good on this.

Any thoughts on if I should be overly concerned?

thanks!

puppypaws
05-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Just got a 61" Turf Tiger with the 35hp Vanguard in it on Thursday. It was raining so today was the first time I could use it.

Was running great and the cut and power are awesome and then the deck shut down.

Darn thing chewed the edge off the deck drive belt and jumped it off the pulley. I have 1.2 hours on it and am out of commission.

I'll be at the dealer with the machine bright and early Monday morning and I'm hoping it's a quick fix. I know in the book it says check the first 2, 4, 8 and 10 hours and take it to the dealer if it appears to be wearing belts so I assume this is covered as a warranty item but what the heck. Is this a known issue? I've never had a belt problem on my 2001 Turf Tiger but I didn't get it knew so maybe these wear in issues are normal.

I couldn't figure out how to get the belt on the 2 pulleys (tending on idler pulley spring is off yes...). Mainly can't get it under the bottom pulley so it's not like even if I had a spare belt I could sort it out. Plus I want the dealer to make good on this.

Any thoughts on if I should be overly concerned?

thanks!

Is there a remote possibility a small stick, rock or any type debris could have gotten onto the deck between the belt and pulley to the exact point the belt may have thrown itself off?

watson524
05-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Nope, the belt is the one in the back that attaches the clutch to the PTO. It in the back, behind the engine, vertically under cover.

Cboy7
05-15-2010, 05:43 PM
check all pulleys to make sure no stick is wedged up in there.

watson524
05-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Confirmed. No sticks anywhere. Seems to be it just didn't like one edge of it and makes me wonder if a pulley is out of alignment or something.

puppypaws
05-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Confirmed. No sticks anywhere. Seems to be it just didn't like one edge of it and makes me wonder if a pulley is out of alignment or something.

Must be a pulley running out of alignment, this is a new mower, let the dealer worry about it. Some people attempt and can repair a number of problems, but when on a new mower the dealer needs to handle the inconvenience.

This is to make sure the problem is documented in case it continues to give trouble. The manufacture must have documentation to become involved if necessary, make sure the dealer notes your account with all information pertinent to your problem, you need your own documentation as well.

This day and time you cannot leave an I undotted or a T uncrossed when dealing with these companies, if so they will attempt to take advantage of your situation, times are tough in this economy and no one wants to pay for anything they can make you pay for.

Please come back and let us know what the problem was?

SouthSide Cutter
05-15-2010, 08:59 PM
If you were around any rocks and backed into them. They can get in and under the bottom pulley and burn that belt right off. It will put out alot of smoke when it does this and you have to look back to see it. This has happened to me twice. Just two weeks ago it done it again and I caught it but it still grooved the belt bad and I had to order a new one. Scag needs to make a larger opening so the rocks will fall out. My Plasma cutter is going to fix mine!!!!!

watson524
05-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Nope, no backing into rocks.... wide open field basically. I'm thinking pulley out of alignment given it wore just on the one side/edge of the belt. What do they do about pulleys out of alignment? Is this a manufacturing default that they do a "patch" fix on?

Pain in the butt that I have to haul this down Monday. I'm hoping they can take it in while I wait and sort it out... especially being as I just bought it Wednesday.

SouthSide Cutter
05-16-2010, 12:03 AM
I dont know but the same thing is happening to my deck belt. I checked it and it looked ok, then Iam greasing it and my hand hit the bottom side of the belt and it felt like a crack. Rolled the belt over and the whole bottom half was cracked bad. Got to looking at the pulleys and the idler pulley needs to be down about 1/2 inch. Now we are talking around 600hrs to do this to the belt. But the dealer said they dont normally sell to many deck belts. Going to have to pull it apart to see if I can lower it. Something has to be really out of wack to tear it up that quick.

djagusch
05-16-2010, 06:58 PM
The easiest pulley to be out of place is the lower pulley. It is attached to a deck spindle which powers the drive shaft. The pulley can be adjusted on the spindle just like a deck spindle pulley.

nepatsfan
05-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Sounds like a factory problem. If it was my mower I would go in and blow my top and make a scene(I dont recommend this). But seriously bring it to the dealer and let them figure it out and make sure you have it back quickly.

watson524
05-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Yeah my thought was to load it up and be there at 8am tomorrow when the doors opened but this is a huge inconvenience to my work schedule where I'd have conference calls starting then etc. so I am going to call right at 8am and tell them I want them to come pick the damn thing up and fix it and deliver it back to me. My thought to going there was so I could stand in the shop and see what they do but I'm going to go with blowing my top on the phone first thing and see what happens. He knows I'm a residential owner who has my dad's 60" Land Pride we kept after he died and that I still have my 2001 Turf Tiger but I won't let him use that as an excuse to tell me it'll take two weeks to fix.

BJWLAWNCARE
05-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Watson,

You are from LA huh. Small world. Which dealer Wallace? I can tell u F and S is no good either. Nice enough guys just slllooowww.

watson524
05-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Yep definitely is a small world.

Nope, not Wallace. They don't sell Scag and I'm not a fan of their service.... It's from F&S. I've dealt with them before and they're they only Scag dealer in the immediate area since Lake Ariel Hardware is gone. I've had my stuff there before and it wasn't too slow.... slower than I would have liked but I let them take the week before because I had other equipment. Being as I JUST bought this from them Wednesday and have an hour on it, I will not be as forgiving, I don't care that I do have use of two other mowers.

shovelracer
05-16-2010, 11:27 PM
I also had issues with my 08 TT and the clutch pulley alignment. I also have had a few belts destroyed within hours on various new machines over the years. Those I suspected were damaged between the factory and when I turned the key for the first time. Likely shipping or installation damage. Sounds like yours is alignment related.

watson524
05-16-2010, 11:29 PM
What's funny is though the grass was wet and it was drizzling, before I signed off on the delivery papers, I took two passes with the PTO engaged and listened for any kind of odd slapping etc etc.... geez, even with extra precautions, it still goes to heck in a handbasket. Apparently 5 minutes of running wasn't enough to fray the belt but one hour was.

watson524
05-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Talked to the dealer this morning. Sales guy put me on with service manager. He was very apologetic that he couldn't get someone up here today - they were in various locations doing other work - but will come up tomorrow and either deal with it onsite or take it back to their shop and work on it and then bring it back. Said it should be back in a day and if it's more than that, he'll give me a loaner machine. So far, I'm happy with how they're handling it and hope it continues that way. Will post once I know more as far as the issue/fix.

nepatsfan
05-17-2010, 06:03 PM
All you can ask is that they are fair with you and it sounds like they are.

CAG80
05-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Keep us posted this might be a ongoing problem. My new tt with the 35 briggs has had the pto/clutch belt smoke up a couple times. I noticed today and was puzzled to see that it is wearing and gouged on the outside of the belt. Also a few times the spring for the pulley on the deck flew off.. Machine has 50hrs on it so far, It should go to the dealer but it's such a pain to drop it off and be down a machine then have to go and pickit back up.

nepatsfan
05-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Keep us posted this might be a ongoing problem. My new tt with the 35 briggs has had the pto/clutch belt smoke up a couple times. I noticed today and was puzzled to see that it is wearing and gouged on the outside of the belt. Also a few times the spring for the pulley on the deck flew off.. Machine has 50hrs on it so far, It should go to the dealer but it's such a pain to drop it off and be down a machine then have to go and pickit back up.
You should make them give you a loaner. Doesn't your dealer have a rental dept that they could give you one. 50 hours is a little ridiculous. I have had a few scags and always had good luck. One thing I noticed on a tiger cub I have is that it does eat up belts.

watson524
05-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Dealer just came and picked mine up. Guy was going to field replace the belt but he said that the pulleys are out of alignment and it'd just do it again so he wanted it back at the shop.

BJWLAWNCARE
05-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Watson what about lake ariel hardware and supply? They should be very close to you. I have been a customer of f and s's for over fifteen years. Who did you deal with eddie? They never picked anything of mine up ever. I always had to take it to them.

watson524
05-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Unfortunately, Art Davis has passed away so Lake Ariel is basically gone. There was talk of someone picking up the dealership but no more news on that yet. My salesman was Ed Krushinski, yes. I called yesterday, explained what happened, he put me on with Mike the service manager and I didn't even have to ask them to pick it up (though I would have). He was apologetic that they couldn't get up here yesterday and said he'd have someone today up here to get it. They're also bringing it back. I've had my old Scag to them before when Art's service guy couldn't do it and had to take it there but come on, I ran the machine for 1 hour and it crapped out so.... They also delivered it on Wednesday when I purchased it. They also said they'll have it back tomorrow or Thursday (if they have to order parts). If it needs longer than that, they're bringing me a loaner.

puppypaws
05-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Dealer just came and picked mine up. Guy was going to field replace the belt but he said that the pulleys are out of alignment and it'd just do it again so he wanted it back at the shop.

This pulley alignment must be a problem that arises quiet often on some Scag mowers from seeing a few of these post. You would think as simple a fix as this is; the factory quality control could easily recognize the problem and remedy it before it leaves their facility. There is honestly no reason a dealer should ever be confronted with a problem of this simplicity. You and anyone else having belt problems should bring this to Scag's attention, if no one ever passes this information along to where the problem originated there is no way for them to prevent it from continuing.

watson524
05-18-2010, 10:06 PM
I mentioned to the guy that picked it up that I had seen at least two other people with the same machine (and the 35 Briggs) mentioned the same problem and he said he was going to let the shop know so they can report it. But I might drop a note to Scag myself as well.

watson524
05-19-2010, 11:51 PM
Dealer called today. It's fixed. Apparently the bottom pulley for the deck drive belt wasn't tightened down properly. Not sure if this is something they check in their pre delivery routine or not, I suspect not. Anyway, he said I must have just run it long enough for it to loosen up and eat the belt. Since our weather has been crappy and I told them I didn't need my machine back or a loaner until Friday, he asked if it was ok to bring it up first thing Friday morning since he has another delivery in the area (I'm about 30 minutes from the shop). I said that was fine so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Probably won't be mowing for any length of time until Sunday.

puppypaws
05-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Dealer called today. It's fixed. Apparently the bottom pulley for the deck drive belt wasn't tightened down properly. Not sure if this is something they check in their pre delivery routine or not, I suspect not. Anyway, he said I must have just run it long enough for it to loosen up and eat the belt. Since our weather has been crappy and I told them I didn't need my machine back or a loaner until Friday, he asked if it was ok to bring it up first thing Friday morning since he has another delivery in the area (I'm about 30 minutes from the shop). I said that was fine so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Probably won't be mowing for any length of time until Sunday.

That's what I figured the problem was, pulley out of alignment. NO, that is something I feel assured is not checked by the dealer, but now that he's aware of the problem it should be. I would say the dealer should not be concerned about this if I wasn't reading information about other owners experiencing the same problem, and you definitely need to explain the situation to Scag, and make them aware of how aggravating this can be.
920-387-0100.