PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda questions

gnoles
05-15-2010, 04:46 PM
I've been lurking this site for the past year to try and learn a bit about my lawn. I'm a homeowner who wants to learn as much as possible to generate a nice lawn that will irritate my TruGreen client neighbors.

I am reading up on the Alabama Extension service website and publications, but I am looking for a couple of suggestions.

I pulled cores today from my 4 year old sod (soil test submitted). What I found was a clay soil under about an inch of topsoil. It looks like the root zone is at 1-1.5 inches at the most. I have core aerated once in the past year, but I'm beginning to think that more often will be required.

There are a few areas in which the turf is thick, but these cores have a bit more topsoil incorporated in them. The thin areas are the high spots in the yard where the rain has washed the topsoil from the sod into lower spots.

Will this work?

Aerate the daylights out of it. Multiple passes, multiple directions.
It's been suggested that I use gypsum to loosen the clay soil up a bit.
Another suggestion is that I topdress with sand, others suggest compost.
Next steps....

I appreciate the help... just reading and following advice in threads already posted has saved my sanity and at least one trip to the lawnmower repair shop. (the battery charges better when a ground wire isn't loose - you folks helped me troubleshoot the stator, rectifier, and battery.)

It's appreciated folks.

Gary