PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Stay back 200 ft "signs"

FLAhaulboy
05-15-2010, 03:58 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=505&pictureid=3285

Not responsible for "broken wind shields", If that Bobcat falls off and hits my truck, a broken wind shield would be the least of my worries! :laugh:

If anyone thinks this type of sign releases you from any liability due to debris falling off & damaging a vehicle driving behind you, think again. :hammerhead:

unkownfl
05-15-2010, 04:19 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=505&pictureid=3285

Not responsible for "broken wind shields", If that Bobcat falls off and hits my truck, a broken wind shield would be the least of my worries! :laugh:

If anyone thinks this type of sign releases you from any liability due to debris falling off & damaging a vehicle driving behind you, think again. :hammerhead:

It doesn't release you of anything but it could discourage people from riding your butt.

gtmorgan89
05-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Do they really expect you to be able to read that from 200'?

rcslawncare
05-16-2010, 12:34 AM
Not a bad idea, but the person on the phone riding your truck is the one not reading your sign....

MikeKle
05-16-2010, 09:24 AM
I wondered about this as well. It is probably a deterent as no one would be dumb enough to think a goofy little sign releases them from any liability! Ive even seen huge tri axles hauling gravel, with it falling out all over on the expressway, and they had one of these signs?? Actually, isnt it illegal to not keep your load secured while on the road? Im sure it applies to gravel as well as anything else?

RedRebel
05-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Here if any material bounces off the roadway and then hits your car/truck, the truck is not responsible. If you can prove that it flew off the truck and directly hit your car, then it is their fault...good luck proving that one though...

MikeKle
05-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Why should trucks get special treatment when it comes to things flying out of their truck? If i had something fly out of my trucks bed and hit the road first or not, then hit a cars windshield and crack it or other damage, I would still be liable! Just because they haul huge amounts does not mean they can get away with causing damage.

BCL Services
05-16-2010, 04:42 PM
You are responsible for the load you carry, simple as that.

DoetschOutdoor
05-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Na, it aint that simple...when your cruising in rush hour traffic and a few rocks crack your windshield, good luck getting them to pay. They have a whole book of excuses and have been thru that crap before many times and know how to NOT PAY.

lilred731
05-16-2010, 07:04 PM
I think those signs are a deterrent for people who like to ride close to others. However, I was passed by a dump truck and a rock flew from it and cracked my windshield. I sped up to get all the information I could from the dump truck: company name, phone number, truck number and what time of day it was and location. As soon as I was able to call I did. I had to argue with the person on the phone, but I did get my windshield replaced that week.

FLAhaulboy
05-16-2010, 07:14 PM
In Florida, If you have "collusion" on your vehicle insurance plan, you can get your damaged windshield repaired or replaced for FREE. Your insurance company has to pay all costs. They say if the crack line is over the length of a dollar bill, you should replace the window. Mine is over (2) bills long but I've been lazy in getting it repaired! :hammerhead: I did see a local business offering a free box of steaks, So I might get them to replace it :laugh:!

South Florida Lawns
05-16-2010, 08:40 PM
In Florida, If you have "collusion" on your vehicle insurance plan, you can get your damaged windshield repaired or replaced for FREE. Your insurance company has to pay all costs. They say if the crack line is over the length of a dollar bill, you should replace the window. Mine is over (2) bills long but I've been lazy in getting it repaired! :hammerhead: I did see a local business offering a free box of steaks, So I might get them to replace it :laugh:!

Gotta love FLA

Get a company that comes to you!

STIHL GUY
05-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Do they really expect you to be able to read that from 200'?

thats what i was thinking. that sign is pretty small

BCL Services
05-16-2010, 09:52 PM
I think those signs are a deterrent for people who like to ride close to others. However, I was passed by a dump truck and a rock flew from it and cracked my windshield. I sped up to get all the information I could from the dump truck: company name, phone number, truck number and what time of day it was and location. As soon as I was able to call I did. I had to argue with the person on the phone, but I did get my windshield replaced that week.

Exactly, most people just don't take the time to follow thru to get it done. And if the truck doesn't have info on the side and won't cooperate and pull over...you call the police and have them assist you in getting the cooperation. This is basic highway safety, one of the main responsiblilites of the highway patrol. Accidents happen everyday with stuff flying off flatbeds and other trucks, but make no mistake the vehicle operator is responsible for the load they carry.

MikeKle
05-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Na, it aint that simple...when your cruising in rush hour traffic and a few rocks crack your windshield, good luck getting them to pay. They have a whole book of excuses and have been thru that crap before many times and know how to NOT PAY.

Here in KY getting a cracked windshield fixed is totally free too, no matter if you only have liability insurance, they consider it so dangerous, they will replace it for free on really anyones car! However if the truck caused other damage, like dents or scratches from the crap falling from his truck, you can be sure he would be paying for those repairs! They may have a book of excuses, but the cops also know this and have heard all their excuses many times, and will usually side with the driver of the car that the truck damaged around here, especially if you have some cop buddies, this will really help you! If something were to fall from my open trailer when I was hauling a load of branches and damaged a car, you can be sure I would be paying for it, no ifs ands or buts!!! I would get cited for failure to secure a load, Why should the truckers be treated any different? They are nobody special. and really they should be held to a higher standard, since they haul material all the time and should know how to secure their load properly. Plus I have heard from my cop buddies, back when there was a thread about snow and ice sheets coming off truck trailers and damaging cars, they told me there is a few things you have to mention when talking to the cop about what happened that will ensure the truck driver will be held liable, real simple things too! If you want to know more, just ask.