PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help with sod (brown seams)

mjolson5
05-15-2010, 04:47 PM
I just install KBG in my backyard 9 days ago. Now many of the seams are turning brownish yellow. The center areas of the strips are growing well but the sod isn't taking root yet. Any advice? Am I panicking too early?

Background:
Prep work was tilling and lime (ph is only 5.2). The sod farm told me it was pre-fertilized and I should not use a starter. We laid the sod immediately after delivery and it rained the following 5 days. Since then I've been watering roughly 1 hour in the morning (standard impulse sprinklers).

The sod farm told me to mow at 10 days but I'm worried about doing that without the sod roots taking.

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae54/mjolson5/P1010075.jpg

bigslick7878
05-15-2010, 10:30 PM
I just install KBG in my backyard 9 days ago. Now many of the seams are turning brownish yellow. The center areas of the strips are growing well but the sod isn't taking root yet. Any advice? Am I panicking too early?

Background:
Prep work was tilling and lime (ph is only 5.2). The sod farm told me it was pre-fertilized and I should not use a starter. We laid the sod immediately after delivery and it rained the following 5 days. Since then I've been watering roughly 1 hour in the morning (standard impulse sprinklers).

The sod farm told me to mow at 10 days but I'm worried about doing that without the sod roots taking.

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae54/mjolson5/P1010075.jpg

LOL.

Keep watering and mow it when it hits 4 inches. (for being installed at least 5 days ago with a week of rain that grass looks awfully short, can't quite figure that one out,has it been like 45 degrees or something every day??)

That is some of the most beautiful sod I have seen.

MOW IT HIGH.

mjolson5
05-16-2010, 12:38 AM
The yard looks great from an angle, but the yellowing seams are present over about 50% of it - hard to see in the picture.

The temps were chilly (actually had a freeze one night - 28 degrees). Mostly in the upper 40's to lower 50's. Now we're back up in the 70's.

I'd say the parts that are growing well are easily 3" plus but not 4" yet.

I guess I'll keep my panic in check for a while (my wife thinks I'm nuts). It was a lot of work and I'd hate it all go and die on me!

mdlwn1
05-16-2010, 12:59 AM
The seams dried at some point...it's that simple. They can dry on the truck (unlikely) or on the job...they did not get water. The seams go first. Doesnt matter though it will be fine if they stay moist...its KBG...it grows back. BTW you cut it when you need to cut it. As long as you dont destroy it (hills/slopes/muddy) you can do whatever you want for the most part. If you were to do it all over again, you probably should have watered it once in the am and again between 12 and say 2 or so...those seams will dry fast.

bigslick7878
05-16-2010, 02:27 PM
(my wife thinks I'm nuts). It was a lot of work and I'd hate it all go and die on me!

Your wife is right, you are nuts if you think there is anything wrong with that sod.

Whitey4
05-16-2010, 04:06 PM
From the pic.... I say the sod was not laid correctly. The seams are too obvious. When I lay sod, I am sure to NEVER allow any grass from one piece to get stuck under the adjoining piece. I lift both seams, and lay them back down together so that not a blade of grass gets buried under the next piece.

If you spend all the extra time to do this, the seams are almost impossible to see the day it is laid. I think the edge die off is from the plant's leaves being stuck under the edge of the seam being under the adjoining piece. Sod is not throw and go if you want it done right, but this is typical of many sod jobs I have seen.

The good news is it will be fine.... eventually, but you will see the seams for almost a year before the KGB fills back in.

bigslick7878
05-16-2010, 05:19 PM
The good news is it will be fine.... eventually, but you will see the seams for almost a year before the KGB fills back in.

A year???

They will be gone in a couple months, if that long.

If it really concerns him that much he can sprinkle some seed in the 1 mm x 12 inch areas the sod is turning a slight lighter shade of green with a hint of brown.

Man I thought I was picky.:laugh:

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010
05-16-2010, 06:01 PM
seems ok to me..just wait couple of more weeks i'll be ok

mjolson5
05-16-2010, 09:58 PM
From the pic.... I say the sod was not laid correctly. The seams are too obvious. When I lay sod, I am sure to NEVER allow any grass from one piece to get stuck under the adjoining piece. I lift both seams, and lay them back down together so that not a blade of grass gets buried under the next piece.

If you spend all the extra time to do this, the seams are almost impossible to see the day it is laid. I think the edge die off is from the plant's leaves being stuck under the edge of the seam being under the adjoining piece. Sod is not throw and go if you want it done right, but this is typical of many sod jobs I have seen.

We were very meticulous in regards to butting the seams - almost to a fault. Perhaps I was applying to much force butting the pieces up together, inadvertently bowing it upward.

Regardless, it's good to hear that it will bounce back - and it looks great if I just stay in my chair with a beer :)