PDA

View Full Version : Noob looking for advice on a residential zero turn

goldentee
05-15-2010, 06:04 PM
My awesome Craftsman lawn tractor :rolleyes: is at death's door. *trucewhiteflag* I have two and a half mostly level acres and have narrowed the field to these 3:

1. Hustler Sport 48" honda engine $3,650
2. Ariens Zoom XL 48" $3,899
3. John Deere z425 48" $3,500-$3,600

The Deere has the dual pumps but no springs/suspension under the seat and a stamped deck. I'm afraid I'll shatter my spine if I hit a few of the ruts/bumps I have in the yard. Am I worried for nothing? I like the large drive tires on the Deere and the proximity of the dealer.

The Hustler has a good engine in the Honda and a stout deck/frame. I don't like the smaller drive wheels as I worry they wont be good enough for the grade I have at the front of my property. This is not a deal breaker though.

I never heard of Ariens until I saw it at the dealer yesterday. It has a beefier deck than the Hustler with larger (20") drive wheels. It also has a ZT2800 Transaxle and 24hp Kawasaki engine. I think this is the best bang for the buck but can't find much online about this model.

I'd love to hear some opinions.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

GuyNextDoor
05-15-2010, 07:04 PM
I have a couple of Hustlers and love them. Along with the 4 year warranty. gotta love that. I don't like the stamped decks. Don't think they hold up well enough. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

goldentee
05-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the reply. I really like the Hustler Sport though the sheet the dealer gave me said the warranty is 2 years(3rd year parts only) not 4 years. The Honda engine has a 3 year warranty. The Fas Trak has a 4 year residential use warranty.

GuyNextDoor
05-15-2010, 10:42 PM
I have the FasTrak. must be why i was thinking that. Still good mowers. I like that they sit a little lower so if your mowing on an incline it doesn't feel like your going to tip it over.

JCLawn and more
05-15-2010, 10:58 PM
the only one I would mess with is the hustler. The other 2 are crap. The decks will fall apart. They will ride smoother than the craftsmen regardless of having suspension on the seat. Look at this mower http://www.badboymowers.com/view/pricing-and-details 26hp 48 inch deck, 8mph. 3,499. This beats anything you put up there. You can find this at your local TSC store.

goldentee
05-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the reply but can you elaborate on why the Ariens is crap? Do they have a bad reputation for quality? The specs seem better than the Hustler Sport. It has a 24 HP Kawasaki engine, thicker 10 gauge fabricated deck, 20 inch rear wheels and a better transaxle(ZT2800).

I'll see if the TSC near me has a Bad Boy I can check out.

JCLawn and more
05-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Ariens is a down grade from gravely. I see the mower, I was thinking something a little different. that don't look to bad at all.

ajslands
05-15-2010, 11:41 PM
heres some advice!

if you plan on growing and doing this bussiness for a few years; buy a commercial ztr. ya you'll spend a few extra bucks, but hey you'll save money in the long run..

i had a buddy buy a toro homeowners ztr and he's beaten the crap out of it, he just replaced, belt, go-bar, and some other costly things, and he only had one mower, so while his was in the shop, he had to borrow somone else's. which was another expense.

castlerockmo
05-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Bad boy is a down grade from most mowers on the market. I hate the way their built long as a limo and an go awful deck. The worst cut I have ever seen!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

castlerockmo
05-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Plus the bad boy warranty sucks!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

goldentee
05-15-2010, 11:48 PM
I agree with you completely but I'm only doing my own lawn - 2 1/2 acres about once a week. Thanks for the reply.

rtharris
05-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Bad boy is a down grade from most mowers on the market. I hate the way their built long as a limo and an go awful deck. The worst cut I have ever seen!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Castlerock face it ur a hater and u know nothing about bad boys
Posted via Mobile Device

JCLawn and more
05-16-2010, 08:53 AM
this lawn was cut by a bad boy. This is the worst cut lawn you have ever seen? Every mower can cut like a piece of crap with the right person. A lot of guys like them. I would not call them a downgrade. They are one of few companies that have mowers that will mow 15mph and have full suspension. The only company that have a 35hp 4 cylinder diesel cat on a mower that I have seen.

rtharris
05-16-2010, 09:01 AM
this lawn was cut by a bad boy. This is the worst cut lawn you have ever seen? Every mower can cut like a piece of crap with the right person. A lot of guys like them. I would not call them a downgrade. They are one of few companies that have mowers that will mow 15mph and have full suspension. The only company that have a 35hp 4 cylinder diesel cat on a mower that I have seen.
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-16-2010, 09:16 AM
My sentiments exactly jc people talk bad boys down and they no nothing about them or how they perform id like to see another mower cut smoother than ur post heres ur chance castlerock send a pic with a better cut and stripes than this bad boy downgrade
Posted via Mobile Device

seabee003
05-16-2010, 09:41 AM
For your job (flat 2.5 acre, residential load use), I think the Deere is the best of the three. I am not sure about the hate for stamped decks, they perform very well. It is just that the Deere residential decks are lighter gauge than the commercial decks. I would weight bigger tires over suspension seat. You might consider the Z445 with a Kawasaki engine for around $500 more. Do not under appreciate that you have convenient acces to a dealer.

Any of the ztrs on your list will be a substantial ugrade over your Craftsman in terms of maintaining your 2.5 acre lot.

JCLawn and more
05-16-2010, 09:50 AM
I looked at the JD residential line. The weakest point is the decks. I have a toro time cutter I used last year. The lift points pulled trough the deck, and the spindles broke through too. I ended up cutting a 3/16 or 7 gauge steel plate and bolting it under the deck. It works like a charm. That is why I would stay away from that thin of deck. That is the only thing I did not like about the JD.

rtharris
05-16-2010, 10:22 AM
I looked at the JD residential line. The weakest point is the decks. I have a toro time cutter I used last year. The lift points pulled trough the deck, and the spindles broke through too. I ended up cutting a 3/16 or 7 gauge steel plate and bolting it under the deck. It works like a charm. That is why I would stay away from that thin of deck. That is the only thing I did not like about the JD.
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-16-2010, 10:23 AM
I agree with you completely but I'm only doing my own lawn - 2 1/2 acres about once a week. Thanks for the reply.
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Goldentee go buy an mz48 bad boy 48 in fabricated deck 26 hp briggs els best residential value commercial quality cut and toughness im not just spouting off here i actually own one 3495 u cant beat it
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
05-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Buy an exmark 72
Posted via Mobile Device

castlerockmo
05-16-2010, 12:08 PM
I really don't care what you bad boy fans think. I don't like them and there are plenty of lco around here that have nothing but problems with them. I told mho, I don't think they cut well, and they have a pOr deck design the ones I've seen collect grass under there deck like I have never seen. I don't don't feel like cleaning out the deck ever time I mow a lawn. I also don't like the electric lift deck. You bad boy lovers need to get off eveyones @ss that dosnt like your stupid little mower.
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-16-2010, 12:14 PM
I really don't care what you bad boy fans think. I don't like them and there are plenty of lco around here that have nothing but problems with them. I told mho, I don't think they cut well, and they have a pOr deck design the ones I've seen collect grass under there deck like I have never seen. I don't don't feel like cleaning out the deck ever time I mow a lawn. I also don't like the electric lift deck. You bad boy lovers need to get off eveyones @ss that dosnt like your stupid little mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Castlerock we`ll get off ur ass when u stop telling lies about bad boy mowers everything u say is wrong my deck never collects an overabundance of grass so when u stop we`ll stop
Posted via Mobile Device

rain man
05-16-2010, 12:32 PM
I would probably have to consider dealer support strongly (even for a residential mower). My 2 cent.

rtharris
05-16-2010, 12:40 PM
I would probably have to consider dealer support strongly (even for a residential mower). My 2 cent.
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

castlerockmo
05-16-2010, 12:44 PM
I telling stories from my experience and from see the broken coming into my dealers shop!
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Not liking something is fine but passing along info that u cant verify other than charlie said this or that about it just wont fly u wont find a single post by me knocking another brand but some on here thats all they do and its wrong and unproductive
Posted via Mobile Device

castlerockmo
05-16-2010, 01:04 PM
No I was just passing on info about my expeinces with the mowers, same as you! Yours were good mine were not. I can verify all day long I don't like that mower. Now for some people like your self it may work great, I got a husqvarna EZ that is not for commercial use and many people don't like husqvarna but it has served its purpose the last 4 years and help start my company. I did like husqvarna so much that I bought a dixon this year and at the end of the year I'm looking at buying a dixon grizzly (husq pz) what I'm saying is you and everyone else may hate husqvarana and can tell stories of how they have let you down in the past mine have been good to me and if bad boy works for you than that's great just stop craming bad boy down eveyone ones throat, that will turn people off more than anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-16-2010, 01:19 PM
No I was just passing on info about my expeinces with the mowers, same as you! Yours were good mine were not. I can verify all day long I don't like that mower. Now for some people like your self it may work great, I got a husqvarna EZ that is not for commercial use and many people don't like husqvarna but it has served its purpose the last 4 years and help start my company. I did like husqvarna so much that I bought a dixon this year and at the end of the year I'm looking at buying a dixon grizzly (husq pz) what I'm saying is you and everyone else may hate husqvarana and can tell stories of how they have let you down in the past mine have been good to me and if bad boy works for you than that's great just stop craming bad boy down eveyone ones throat, that will turn people off more than anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

castlerockmo
05-16-2010, 01:48 PM

those stripes do look good, striping kit, deck pitched?

rtharris
05-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Castlerock no ones cramming anything he asked for help i gave an opinion u gave him nothing but having to look at ur hatred for someones opinion if bad boy got crammed here it was because of u running off not us u started it
Posted via Mobile Device

castlerockmo
05-16-2010, 02:09 PM
here are some stripes from my husqvarna ez, no kit no flap no pitch.

Hawg City Lawns
05-16-2010, 02:14 PM
ok castlerock im not very far away 90 miles im running a dixon kodiak also mower does great its an awesome machine but to be honest next mower im gonna purchase is a bad boy swing away design is great and the price is even better the ones ive seen in action which arent many around here leave a great cut and they are built like tanks and the only ones ive heard people having trouble with are the zt models from tsc not the pups or lightnings or the aos which are more of the true commercial machine

rtharris
05-16-2010, 02:16 PM
here are some stripes from my husqvarna ez, no kit no flap no pitch.
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Castlerock u have no experience because u have no seat time on a bad boy same with me on a husq the difference between us is i will not comment based on hear-say
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-16-2010, 02:32 PM
ok castlerock im not very far away 90 miles im running a dixon kodiak also mower does great its an awesome machine but to be honest next mower im gonna purchase is a bad boy swing away design is great and the price is even better the ones ive seen in action which arent many around here leave a great cut and they are built like tanks and the only ones ive heard people having trouble with are the zt models from tsc not the pups or lightnings or the aos which are more of the true commercial machine
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-16-2010, 02:37 PM
He doesnt want to hear this he will accuse u of cramming it down his throat
Posted via Mobile Device

castlerockmo
05-16-2010, 02:46 PM
I do have some seat time, and I know it dont cut as well as my kodiak. and hawg I thought you had a Dixon Ram ultra

castlerockmo
05-16-2010, 02:49 PM
He doesnt want to hear this he will accuse u of cramming it down his throat
Posted via Mobile Device

I dont care what you guys buy its your money! I just said the craming it down peoples throat has turned people off of bad boy, I have seen threads were people dont want a Bad Boy because of fanatics.

fredmullegun
05-16-2010, 03:03 PM
If you will just use it at home why not a garden tractor? Much more useful for a homeowner, not a one trick pony.

goldentee
05-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Thank you for staying on topic Fred. :)

I used/abused my Craftsman LT1000 for 8-9 years. It would take me about 4 hours to mow the lawn over two days. I want something to cut that time in half and hear zero turns do just that.

My Craftsman had a Briggs engine and a 12 gauge stamp deck. Both are still standing after a long rough road. I've hit stumps/roots and some softball size rocks. The deck is still fine....I bent the $hit out of some of the frame though. lol

Here's what I've learned (right or wrong I'm not sure) by reading forums over the last month:

1. Briggs engines suck (though mine was fine)
2. EZT transaxles suck
3. stamped decks will spontaneously combust (though mine was fine)
4. kawasaki is the best engine

I'm looking to futureproof by getting a solid ztr that will last 10-15 years on my 2 1/2 acres. I like the idea of a strong engine. I definitely want a strong deck and frame. I want something that cuts well and is comfortable.

From the 3 choices I originally sought advice on, the Ariens was the most mower for the money.

Here's a link to it:

http://www.ariens.com/products_lawn/Zooms/l_zoom_48xl/Pages/default.aspx

I think the Hustler, Deere and Ariens would all work great for me. I was just looking for personal experience, related experience or professional reviews related to my choices. I also don't mind suggestions on alternatives but do not need a brand war breaking out.:hammerhead:

Thanks,

Mike

rtharris
05-16-2010, 03:28 PM
I dont care what you guys buy its your money! I just said the craming it down peoples throat has turned people off of bad boy, I have seen threads were people dont want a Bad Boy because of fanatics.
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-16-2010, 03:46 PM

I used/abused my Craftsman LT1000 for 8-9 years. It would take me about 4 hours to mow the lawn over two days. I want something to cut that time in half and hear zero turns do just that.

My Craftsman had a Briggs engine and a 12 gauge stamp deck. Both are still standing after a long rough road. I've hit stumps/roots and some softball size rocks. The deck is still fine....I bent the $hit out of some of the frame though. lol

Here's what I've learned (right or wrong I'm not sure) by reading forums over the last month:

2. EZT transaxles suck

I'm looking to futureproof by getting a solid ztr that will last 10-15 years on my 2 1/2 acres. I like the idea of a strong engine. I definitely want a strong deck and frame. I want something that cuts well and is comfortable.

From the 3 choices I originally sought advice on, the Ariens was the most mower for the money.

Here's a link to it:

I think the Hustler, Deere and Ariens would all work great for me. I was just looking for personal experience, related experience or professional reviews related to my choices. I also don't mind suggestions on alternatives but do not need a brand war breaking out.:hammerhead:

Thanks,

Mike
Posted via Mobile Device

castlerockmo
05-16-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm sorry goldentee for high jacking your thread. I would stay way from the stamp deck. I can't say anything about the airens and not much about the hustler either. You would more than likely get good service out of any machine you choose given what your mowing. Sorry again!
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Mike i apologize for the brand war but u see i was actually trying to be helpful before taking a defensive stance i actually own a residential bad boy and i wont criticize any other brand i will answer any question truthfully
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Truce castlerock
Posted via Mobile Device

bradsd
05-16-2010, 04:13 PM

The reason fanatics exist is because we know we have struck gold with this line of mowers. They are without a doubt the most bang for the buck on the market today. I think most are truly just trying to steer someone else onto such a great buy. It is almost to good to be true in my eyes, I just hope that BB company can maintain these prices as they gain more and more of the market share. Maybe they will drive down the prices of all brands and that is great news for us all no matter which mower you like.

rtharris
05-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Well said brad i really believe they r the best value of all brands
Posted via Mobile Device

rain man
05-16-2010, 05:19 PM
For what its worth. Have two worn out residential JD Zero's. Briggs engine (with sleeve) lasted 700 & abt 1000 hrs respectively. Decks (which are residential) started needing little welding fixes about 500 hrs. Decks falling apart at abt 700 hrs. Decks irreperable after that. Decks cost almost $700.00 to replace. Don't let the deck fool you. They start getting thin without you knowing it. Once the little pin holes appear visible on the outside they are pretty near finished. JD engine prices at abt $1000.00. You may can find it cheaper, I don't know. At 1000 hrs the pumps are giving up the ghost also.

This is my particular experience. Others may vary.

Hawg City Lawns
05-16-2010, 05:29 PM
I do have some seat time, and I know it dont cut as well as my kodiak. and hawg I thought you had a Dixon Ram ultra

nope shes a kodiak nice and messy from a cleanup job

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx158/joshuabv/0405001320.jpg

castlerockmo
05-16-2010, 06:02 PM
What years is yours my rops don't fold all the way down like that it only lays down half way
Posted via Mobile Device

JCLawn and more
05-16-2010, 06:12 PM
now the zt series had a engine recall by brigs. That is probably what you are referring to. My toro has the transaxel in it. It has lasted more than a 1000 hours. The brigs engine is crap though. I hate them. Now that I have a diesel in my woods mower, I don't want to go back. The engines are easy to replace though, and pretty cheap for that small of mower. you could put a 18hp in it and be fine.

goldentee
05-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Don't be sorry guys. It's good to be brand loyal to a machine you trust.

I really think I have the Deere out of the running because of the stamped deck. It would probably be fine but why chance it. I have hit some nasty stuff riding around and will probably hit some more.

Are the base level BadBoy mowers solid?

Thanks,

Mike

nepatsfan
05-16-2010, 06:48 PM

2. EZT transaxles suck

Here's a link to it:

Thanks,

Mike

IMO and I think 99% of guys would say that the honda is the best engine followed closely by the kawasaki. I have machines with both. I agree with about everything else though. You absolutely cannot go wrong with a kawi but if all is equal and I have a choice, I am taking honda.

Hawg City Lawns
05-16-2010, 08:18 PM
What years is yours my rops don't fold all the way down like that it only lays down half way
Posted via Mobile Device

that one was built the 14th week of 2007 so its the improved husqvarna iz

castlerockmo
05-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Well mines an 07 I bought last fall. Its just like yours but my rops don't fold like that. Have you set your deck up to stripe. When I got mine it dosnt stripe well stock. Now with a few adjustments it stripes well. I guess I should just pm you.
Posted via Mobile Device

fredmullegun
05-16-2010, 08:41 PM
If you don't have to do much turning a quality garden tractor will mow plenty fast. The Deere X500 would outmow anything on your list in a straight line. also be able to tow a trailer later.

It will cost a little more but they have 500 off.

For commercial uses ZTR's rule because when you are mowing several lawns per 10 hour day the faster turning on small lawns helps. On a large homeowner property I just don't see the advantage when a garden tractor that could pull a small trailer could be so much more useful.

goldentee
05-16-2010, 09:37 PM
I have a ton of trees and beds. I'm pretty sure the Ariens and Deere can both pull implements such as a trailer also. I hear you about the tractor though. They are more versatile. I'm looking for speed.

JCLawn and more
05-16-2010, 10:15 PM
the jd is 11 gauge rather and the BB's 10 gauge. that garden tractor will not mow 8mph in a straight line.

magilla12
05-16-2010, 10:23 PM
I have a JD Z445 and love it, I can't say for the others. If your using it for just residental use, it will last for many years.

JCLawn and more
05-16-2010, 10:44 PM
have you hit a pipe in the ground at 8.5 mph yet? or a rock the size of a grape fruit?

heymack
05-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Goldentee, I'm in about the same boat as you. I have 3 acres around my house I keep mowed then another 5+ acres that I shred with my 7' shredder. The remaining 90 acres are mostly native.

For the past couple weeks I've agonized over what will replace my 11 year old LT1000 with 42" deck and 17 HP Kohler (RIP). At first, I thought I'd buy another lawn tractor, maybe a Husqvarna 46" with 21 HP Kohler for $1300 and be done with it, but, in the back of my mind I kept hearing a voice that said "get something beefier and faster ($$$$) so I'll have more quality time with kids." So much for the bay boat I was going to buy this spring....

My closest dealer sells Exmark and Gravely (Ariens). He knows my place and recommended the Exmark Quest 48" with Kohler Courage, but I've read many accounts whereby owners hate the newer Courage line of engines (fwiw, I've had zero problems with my 17 HP Kohler on the LT1000 or my 20 HP Kohler on my Miller welder). So as of today, I tend to like the Gravely XL 54" with Kawasaki. Both the Gravely and Exmark have the 2800 transaxles and 10 gauge welded decks, so are comparable in this repect. Like you, I think the Gravely offers the best bang for the buck so will probably buy one this week.

goldentee
05-17-2010, 03:04 AM
That's funny that you have an LT 1000 with no engine problems - my LT had the Briggs engine and is still running...barely. I got 8/9 years out of it and I never changed the oil once. :dizzy: I plan to maintain my new machine a helluva lot better. lol

Maybe we can get a group rate on some new Sears machines! LMAO

Good luck with your decision. I'm heading to the dealer tomorrow and may be pulling the trigger. I have a 6 year old boy and a 5 year old girl...and 7 month old boy-girl twins. They all want daddy off the mower and playing. You will be making the right choice with a ztr.

JCLawn and more
05-17-2010, 09:14 AM
I would give hustler, Bad Boy, and the Zoom all a hard look. The decks are the same, hustler has the honda, and the zoom has the biggest tires. Bad boy and the hustler are both rock solid(except for the brigs engine).

rtharris
05-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Don't be sorry guys. It's good to be brand loyal to a machine you trust.

I really think I have the Deere out of the running because of the stamped deck. It would probably be fine but why chance it. I have hit some nasty stuff riding around and will probably hit some more.

Are the base level BadBoy mowers solid?

Thanks,

Mike
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike all of the badboys r very solid even the entry levels actually overbuilt
Posted via Mobile Device

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-17-2010, 05:17 PM

2. EZT transaxles suck

Here's a link to it:

Thanks,

Mike

hey mike... have u considered a commercial walk behind machine with a stand on sulky/velke?? this would be cheaper and u would get the reliability of a commercial machine. just a thought....but u seem to be pretty stuck on the zero-turn idea. the WAlk behind unit would cut your time down as well.

AmGreen
05-17-2010, 06:04 PM
hey mike... have u considered a commercial walk behind machine with a stand on sulky/velke?? this would be cheaper and u would get the reliability of a commercial machine. just a thought....but u seem to be pretty stuck on the zero-turn idea. the WAlk behind unit would cut your time down as well.

was going to suggest this same thing. the life expectancy will be much greater with a commercial walk behind than a residential zt. you may be able to get a larger deck at the same price point. plus, if you're financing, your options may allow for a lower interest rate on the commercial equipment.

billyed
05-17-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm kinda in the same boat. The things I'm looking for are welded deck 11 gauge or better,non briggs motor, zt2800 tranny,foot lift for deck(handy when mowing around roots etc. The ariens is the only one of the above which has all of these.

goldentee
05-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. The BadBoy dealer was too far for my liking so I went with the Ariens Zoom XL 48. I have no doubt I would have been very happy with the base Badboy machine based on the specs. I'll follow up with my experience for those in this thread who are interested. It should be here tomorrow but it's supposed to rain for the next few.

A walk behind would be cool but my wife would never use it and I hope to get her @ss mowing some! :laugh:

Thanks again,

Mike

AmGreen
05-17-2010, 10:25 PM
yes she would. she'd be able to tan all around and not just her front. kind of like a stand up tanning bed...

fredmullegun
05-18-2010, 04:21 AM
have you hit a pipe in the ground at 8.5 mph yet? or a rock the size of a grape fruit?

I have a 60 hp tractor and 6 ft bush hog with a 190hp gearbox and a 1/4" deck. If you hit a pipe in the ground that is end of story for any equipment if it hits it right.

JCLawn and more
05-18-2010, 11:09 AM
the pipe I meant hitting the deck rather than the blade. I cut a grape fruit size rock in half with my grasshopper, did not hurt it. The pipe about threw me off the seat though.

bentleytn
05-18-2010, 12:20 PM
if your looking for a commercial grade, you might consider encore. Not a well known brand, but serious components, large spindles, 19,000 blade rpms, built like a tank. The critics rag on it are typically big commercial guys that have a long-standing history with scag or someone who has been around longer. Just a suggestion.

JCLawn and more
05-18-2010, 09:34 PM
i saw once for the first time this year, I was like, what the heck? what in the world is that thing. Never saw once before.

Capemay Eagle
07-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Posted via Mobile DeviceX2 on the cut, not to mention that the customer service sucks. I want to sell this thing and buy another Hustler. I made a huge mistake with this machine.